Database discrepancy

stubby2

I've been flying the Flight One Super King Air B 200 which has a garmin g 1000 gps. I've noticed occasionally that I do not get wx and runway data even though I am tuned to the correct frequency. This plane has navigraph data. I'm guessing that if the the old fsx data is different that may be the reason I get no report.

Another related issue is with ils frequencies. When I tune in an ils freq. and check to be sure it is active and agrees with the current approach chart I sometimes get no glideslope or directional data. I would not think this would have anything to do with the fsx database.

Has anyone else seen this ?

When you use add-on scenery, navigation radios in the default scenery are completely ignored within the areas defined by the add-on. Temporarily disabling the add-on in the scenery library to see if the default scenery has the frequencies and features you expect will assist in diagnosing the problem.

-Pv-

2 carrot salad, 10.41 liter bucket, electric doorbell, 17 inch fan, 12X14, 85 Dbm

All the ground radios are driven by the same constraints in the installed scenery add-on.

Again, see if the ILS is enabled in the default scenery for that frequency. Not all runways have ILS capability, particularly small or regional airports. Your add-on may have chosen not to turn ILS on for that transmitter or neglected it. There are many online resources for obtaining approach plates and maps for runways all over the world. Check to see if the runway in question has this feature in the real world and if it does, again I suggest swapping out the add-on library checkmark to see if the default scenery supports it.

-Pv-

2 carrot salad, 10.41 liter bucket, electric doorbell, 17 inch fan, 12X14, 85 Dbm

I do not have any add on scenery. I was using up to date charts from sky vector which had an ils freq. for the runway I was using. The navigraph data on my garmin 1000 and chart showed the same ils frequency. I'm not clear why the default scenery even if it had no or a different frequency, would have any bearing on getting a signal. Otherwise what is the value of navigraph ? Maybe I'm just missing something. Unfortunately, I can't recall the last flight when this happened.

I do not have any add on scenery. I was using up to date charts from sky vector which had an ils freq. for the runway I was using. The navigraph data on my garmin 1000 and chart showed the same ils frequency. I'm not clear why the default scenery even if it had no or a different frequency, would have any bearing on getting a signal. Otherwise what is the value of navigraph ? Maybe I'm just missing something. Unfortunately, I can't recall the last flight when this happened.

Up to date charts and FSX (or P3D) don't always mix. In the 13 years, or so, since the FSX database was finalized, there have been numerous changes in the real world, including shifting of the magnetic north pole, intersection names, airports that went away, new airports, etc. I don't know what navigraph is, but I'd think it was an add-on. So unless that navigraph somehow substitutes for the data in the sim, the differences aren't surprising -- that's why IFR charts have a very short update cycle (28 day or 56 day, depending), and even VFR charts are replaced every six months.

Or perhaps you know all this and have something that changes what the sim thinks is "up to date" (13 years ago)

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

I am aware that the data for navaids, airports, etc is old and very outdated in fsx. As far as I know, I am using a separate database for this plane and the software for this add on plane does not even look at fsx scenery files where this data is embedded. I think it is much like PMDG planes which have FMC with a dedicated database.

So I am looking at the database I'm using and it agrees with what I see on the current chart. If that is the case then I think things should work as far as ILS frequencies go.

I thought the whole point of using Navigraph was the ability to use current approach plates.

If you have confirmed the desired runway in the real world has an ILS and/or GlideSlope, the frequency in the sim and real world are correct and you get an ILS deflection but no GS, or you get no ILS in the sim, then contact the vendor for the scenery or disable it and use the default FSX scenery for that area.

-Pv-

So I am looking at the database I'm using and it agrees with what I see on the current chart. If that is the case then I think things should work as far as ILS frequencies go.

I thought the whole point of using Navigraph was the ability to use current approach plates.

Your database may match current charts, that does not make certain that the scenery in the sim matches either.

If a given ILS frequency, for example, was added/changed after the sim "datum date" (circa 2004) you will not be able to tune to that ILS in the sim until you update the scenery, regardless of what Navigraph says.

There is no mechanism in the sim for the radios to read Navigraph instead of the scenery files. Or at least none that I am aware of.

peace,

the Bean

WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.

They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Archived