FSX EH101 retrofit installation

Edward Chudy

I have windows 10 and installed FSX gold with acceleration it works great. I have difficulty flying the EH101 missions because its impossible to hover so I down loaded Flightsim retrofit to improve controlling this helo. On looking at the specs I was wondering if the upgrade configures the exiting EH101 or is it a new helo. Will this upgrade fly the missions in FSX? Also it says it has a hover gauge but does not say it has a hover control. The hover control is what I want.

Has any body installed this retrofit and were there any problems doing so. I installed surge fix but had to go through great length to get permissions to do so. I would like to have some one give me some idea what it does and did it work. Also what problems were encountered installing the retrofit before I try to install the upgrade.

Would greatly appreciate help.

EDC

Where did you find the eh101 addon? What site? What was the filename of the .zip file that you downloaded?

The permissions thing is normal. It is because you installed fsx in C:program files (x86)

It has to do with UAC in windows.

You can avoid that by installing fsx to a different folder.

Some info about Uac, what it is, and why it should always be kept on, in a post by me near the end of this thread:

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?311931-FSX-Acceleration-download-to-FSX

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The file was in flightsim.com its name is fsx_eh101v2.zip it downloaded fine and unzipped fine, I didn't know that if I installed FSX with acceleration in C: drive other then in programs files (x86) that I could alter files without having permission. Then can I leave my present FSX where it is since its working fine and install another FSX/acceleration inn C: drive?

Would the two conflict, that way I can play with the changes. I did some changes on my last FSX with acceleration installed in program files (x86) and had to uninstall FSX and then it would not install again because of a file that uninstall would not delete. I had to get microsoft support agent level 2 to remove the file then it installed.

I am sorry if I am getting to wordy but just being careful.

Do you know of anyone who has installed this upgrade and have it working fine, it seem complicated on how to install different files in different area's I sure would like clearer direction if this upgrade works. Then only if it will hover for that is my purpose to upgrade. Or is there an hover that can be installed on my existing FSX or on the upgrade. While we are at it how about an autopilot that would make it truly complete. One more request If I may, Are there additional missions for FSX acceleration that can be downloaded.

Thanks for your help I feel you know what your doing,please help if you can.

ED

I am trying the download now. I see it's a full replacement helo. I'm just going over your original questions. You are having problems installing this helo? You want to use this new helo in the Missions? And you are looking for hover control gauges?

Have I got it all?

Have you even gotten this far with the installation of the helo? At this point I haven't even considered the "Blade-Slap sounds".

helo.JPG

helo1.JPG

helo2.JPG

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Just about, I haven't tried to install the upgrade for fear it will ruin the whole program as it did for me before (could be I did something wrong). And yes I would like to fly the missions hoping I can hover in eg: avalanche and sugarloaf where hover is so difficult to do.

I see your pic of EH101 in Flight and I tried to hover with this helo It will not stay hover for me.

What good would hover gauge do, I would like a hover control unit I remember seeing such in an autopilot unit that can be downloaded somewhere. If any one has mastered how to hover the EH101

would they please tell me, I'm sure many helo pilots would be interested.

I was wondering why a retrofit was designed that did not have an autopilot and hover control? Perhaps some will in the future with a full install exe.

I see many have viewed my request that means there is a lot of interest.

To move it I learned that the only way was to uninstall and reinstall again.

[Read on, but, at the end is also an alternative method. (One I never tried myself.)]

Several steps needed for uninstall of FSX:

First uninstall all your payware addons that had installers. Important, because uninstalling fsx uninstalls their files. Without the payware addons files, their uninstallers won't work. And reinstalling the payware also doesn't work, as Windows will see it as installed already. So you would be stuck without option to uninstall or reinstall the payware.

(So must uninstall that before uninstalling FSX.)

Then for FSX itself:

Uninstall from Control Panel first:

"Microsoft Flight Simulator X - Acceleration" (Or SP2 if you have that instead)

Then reboot.

Then go to Control Panel and uninstall:

"Microsoft Flight Simulator X"

(yes, that wasn't in the list before you uninstalled Accell/SP2, but now it will be in the list.)

Reboot again.

That should be it.

--Do not delete any folders of FSX before this point.--!

If all goes well, there will be no need for that fix you needed earlier.

In case you do get a problem reinstalling, and do need the fix...

It was originally known as Microsoft Knowledge Base file: kb928080

Instructions on how to run kb928080 can be found online still.

But the file itself, kb928080, is no longer downloadable from Microsoft.

However, the contents of it can still be found. It is offered on a site called "FlyAwaySimulation" and is a file called resetsldl.exe

Can find that through Google.

You know what, here's a link to it:

https://flyawaysimulation.com/downloads/files/18934/fsx-resetsldlexe/

I know reinstalling can seem daunting. Make at least a Windows "System Restore Point" before starting. (Easy from Windows Control Panel).

I would also create a "System Image". With those you can put the PC back to exactly how it was before starting.

There is an alternative to uninstall-reinstall.

Same say it is possible to move the FSX folder and tell the system it has moved so it will keep working.

(The fsx location is in the registry, so just only moving the folder will mean the registry entry no longer matches the location of the folder, and things go wrong.)

You will need to use the "FS9/FSX registry repair tool", from Flight1.

I think the steps are:

-1-Copy the fsx folder to the new location. (copy, so it is also still in the old location in case something goes wrong)

-2-run the "fs9/fsx registry repair tool". It will run and ask you to point it to the new location of FSX.

It will then edit the registry to point to the new location from then on.

-3- reboot, so the new registry is loaded at computer startup and the new setting takes effect.

-4- rename the old fsx folder. (Microsoft Flight Simulator X OFF) (for example)

Run FSX. If the fix worked, fsx will start

-5-If fsx does not start, it is still trying to start the old location. You just renamed that folder, so fsx is of course not starting. In that case, change the name of the old folder back to "Microsoft Flight Simulator X" and start fsx again.

Again, I never tried the FS9/FSX registry repair tool, so may be a good idea to find discussions from people that did use it. (Google)

Just to make sure, I'm not 'telling' you to reinstall. Just giving the info on how to do it.

Take your time, rushing these things is never a good idea.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It will not stay hover for me.

Helicopters don't just float in place in space.

You constantly need to adjust all 3 controls to maintain the helicopter's position. Cyclic, collective, and rudders.

It's been likened to holding a spinning plate atop a broom-stick, which is on a basketball. While you are balancing on a beach ball. It's not easy. It's the single most difficult portion of the flight envelope of any helicopter. It's also the first thing any helicopter trainee is taught, and expected to master.

There is an update to Mr. Pakonnen's autopilot that is made just to control the helicopter in a hover. It has dials, and associated meters, to make the helicopter move very slowly in any direction, other than the vertical.

The zipfile's title is -FSX-ADDON--Helicopter-AutoPilot.zip. I can't find it real fast, but I wager Google is your friend :D

Another one, that I did find easily, is Dirk Fassbender's update, including a hover controller to allow the movements as described. It's located HERE.

Dirk has complete instructions for panel install, and so on on the same page. He has it copywrited, so I can't copy the Panel entry, but all you need to do is copy the information manually. VERY carefully. Capital letters vs lower-case, spaces, punctuation, all that matters a great deal, so be sure to be accurate. I prefer cut-n-paste, but what can you do?

This AP works in any helicopter, but be aware, you must be sure the helo's aircraft.cfg has an [autopilot] section. Many devs leave it out. Google Helicopter Autopilot config for more information on good settings to use in it. There is some very good advice on this subject available.

Good luck!

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

Archived