Grass change

gypsymoth

Windoze 7, FS2004.

The grass suddenly went from this:

grab_2.jpg

to this: grab_1.jpg

& I'm hoping a clever person might be able to tell me why & how to rectify it..................

I have FS9 in 2 other machines & they're both OK......

FS2004/GoldenWings3. I make my own WW2 airfields & the textures are from Sbuilder. I use ADEX9 for the ground work.

This is the first time I've seen bmp textures look wonky in the 10 yrs I've been making airfields. It's happened in one of three machines.

The picture is a MkV Spitfire taking off from RAF Ibsley, one of 5 or 6 in or near the New Forest.

grab_024 - Copy (1024x576).jpg

I've never come across this before. I thought I'd better check display settings & spotted the terrain detail land & water slider was left at zero when it should have been to the right. Instant change!!

I assumed once set they stayed set but.......

grab_055 (1024x576).jpg

Glad you got it fixed. I was about to recommend checking those sliders, because they may just be the culprits, and because it's such an obvious thing to check out, you may ignore or forget about them completely. I should know, because it happened to me too several years ago.

Speaking of addon grass textures for FS9, I use the freeware PicNic by Aimé Leclercq, it has several grass, snow, desert/sand etc textures you can chose from, and it works in FSX too. It's really nice.

kk2Hq8Xj_o.jpg

Hello. I've never had a setting undo itself which is why I was stumped. It's an obvious thing to check now & in the future in light of recent events !!

I've not heard of PicNic. If I should attempt another airfield I'll try it. You screenshots look great.

Cheers.

Good morning.

It's been so long since I got GW3 & besides, I run both FSGW3 & FS9.

All my WW2 airfields are in FSGW3. I've put some into FS9 to simulate the unused airfields seen today.

Why not copy FS9 & then run the GW3 installer, & then check out the texture folders of both to see what's what.

There used to be a great forum at The Old Hangar but that is no more. Your best bet for advice is FSDeveloper at https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/ I've used them & they'll help - there are GW3 users there.

I hope this helps?

Terry.

I cobbled a website to show RAF Ibsley which was a busy fighter base about 4 miles away. I was about 4 or 5 & remember seeing aircraft on the perimeters with huge yellow tipped props waiting to take off. It closed soon after. http://www.rafibsley.com/ There are some other local airfields I've made here as well....Hurn, Stoney Cross, Warmwell etc. & Advance Landing Grounds.

This is the Texture folder from FSGW3. The grass in my screenshots is the top left 'taxi grass su'. Ignore my oddities - I edit textures to get what I want. Try swapping fs9 grass with a FSGW3 texture & see what happens...........

grab_060 (800x450).jpg

The textures I got with FSGW3 were no better than the standard grass textures that came with FS9. They were all made to be looked at from 1,000 feet up. The one you loaded up for me is the same. I opened them with Photoshop for a good look and there are no individual grass blades visible in the way that they show up in your first screenshot. You can only get what shows in the textures. By all means send me the other three but from what I can see of them I expect the same result.

The 1183 grass in your illustration on here is 100% not the texture to produce that grass in the first pic. What made you think that it was? If you use that now do you get the grass texture in the pic?

The ones that you sent by email, where are they in your set up, the main FS9 texture folder? I tried them in there and they did not link to 1183 grass when I tried to select them under their texture names.

I am trying to see which textures SBuilder picks up when the "assembled" route is used for a ground texture instead of the simple "classes" route, so if anyone knows?

Archived