Good books on flying recommendations

I can recommend a few

first, my dad's book -

Odyssey of Terror by Wm R Haas (about the hijacking of Southern Airways flight 49 in 1972.. PS- I make a brief appearance in it)

In the Shadow of Eagles by Rudy Bilberg (From barnstormer to Alaskan Bush Pilot, A Flyer's Story)

The Man who Flew the Memphis Belle by Col. Robert Morgan

Because I fly edited by Helmut H. Reda (a collection of aviation poetry)

Angels of Death: Goering's Luftwaffe by Edwin P. Hoyt

JG26: Top Guns of the Luftwaffe by Donald L. Caldwell foreward by Adolph Galland

Duel of Eagles By Peter Townsend (Battle of Britain, very detailed)

The Air Up There: More Great Quotations on Flight by Dave English

Biplane by Richard Bach

Gray Eagles By Duane Unkefer (pure fictional account of ex-Luftwaffe aces who reform and rebuild a bunch of BF-109's and attack EVERYBODY)

Fighter Pilots edited by Jon E. Lewis Eyewitness accounts of air combat from the the Red Baron to today's Top Guns

Biplane by Richard Bach

There are several by Bach, including Stranger To The Ground and Gift Of Wings. Fate Is The Hunter by Ernest K. Gann, That's My Story by Douglas "Wrong Way" Corrigan, Eighty Knots To Mach 2 by Richard Linnikan, Skunk Works by Ben Rich, Yeager by Chuck Yeager, Forever Flying by Bob Hoover, To Fly And Fight by Clarence "Bud" Anderson, WE by Charles Lindbergh, The Song Of The Sky and The World Aloft by Guy Murchie, and these just scratch the surface of what's available.

If you're interested in how airplanes fly, Stick And Rudder by Wolfgang Langeweiche is an excellent read. Then there's Flying The Old Planes by Frank Tallman (a movie stunt pilot, among other things), The Joy Of Soaring by Carle Conway, Weather Flying by Robert Buck, I Could Never Be So Lucky Again by Jimmy Doolittle, Once Upon A Thermal by Richard "Old Dog" Wolters, and Rickenbacker by Eddie Rickenbacker, to name some more. Go to your local library in the aviation section and you'll find all kinds of good books, too.

And most any books by Ernest K. Gann, Richard Bach, and Martin Caidin.

And I've hardly started from my personal bookshelves.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

• 2 months later...

"Skyfaring" by Mark Vanhoenacker re-kindled my interest in FSX when I was becoming jaded.

As mentioned above "Fate is The Hunter" E. K. Gann.

Read together they make a stark comparison between aviation as was and aviation now.

W11 Home. Intel Corei7-14700K 3.4Ghz 28cpu.

Nvidia Geforce RTX4040Ti Super. ASUS ROG Strix B650 Mobo.

1 TB Samsung 990m2 SSD.

Archived