problem with takeoff

Slipshank

Most prop planes tend to go a bit left due to torque. Are you using a joystick with rudder control on it (twist grip or other method)? Is it calibrated correctly? Are you cranking those thrust levers to full power?

I wouldn't recommend this as a normal takeoff procedure, but as a test, try the left thrust lever at about 90% and the right lever at about 85% and see if there is any difference in the takeoff roll.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Hello Slipshank,

What are your Realism Sliders settings (Pfactor and Torque). Sometimes this can have a negative effect on takeoff roll and thrust application. Set them to middle and increase towards realistic gradually to see where the drifting effect is least noticeable.

Cheers Jethro

I just tried my own suggestion with my King Air and it worked fine (for testing). I moved my single lever on my joystick to about 90% full power, which moves both thrust levers forward. I then used the mouse to move the right lever down a bit.

Another suggestion would be to move the right prop lever down a bit before adding takeoff power. Like jethrom suggests, check and verify your settings and see if any of them will improve effectiveness of the control surfaces.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Probably there's an issue with the joystick here, I have the Thustmaster HOTAS and never an issue keeping the 350 straight on the runway, only have to flip the rudder a couple of times on take-off.

I have more problems landing, but then I just follow the time-honored procedure: 1. Lower wheels, and 2. Aim for ground....

Jorgen

I have more problems landing, but then I just follow the time-honored procedure: 1. Lower wheels, and 2. Aim for ground....

Gravity, it's not just a good idea, it's the law!

Also: Gravity WILL prevail!

Come heck or high water, that plane WILL hit the ground. Eventually. One way or 'tother.

Nice thing. Take offs are optional. LANDINGS are mandatory. You should try to keep the two counts the same.

I could go on, but you get the idea. I hope :D

Pat☺

PS to the OP: There are a number of WWII warplanes that have the left drift problem on take off. Trick with those is to use a lower MP to start the take-off roll. Once it's going fast enough to give you good rudder authority, THEN you slowly run the MP up to T/O power. As long as you have enough forward speed to give you good rudder authority, the addition of power is fully controllable. Until then, you use the nose-wheel/tail-wheel steering to maintain directional control.

Something else might help, is to add some rudder trim. Does the POH make any mention of the rudder trim settings for take off or landing? Might be something to check. If not, try adding some anyway, and see if that helps any.

Good luck! Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

Archived