moving p3d 4.2 from a HDD to a new SSD

n697dt

I know the answer is out there somewhere, but I couldn't find it. I have already installed my SSD, but have done nothing else. What I want to do is move P3d 4.2 from my HDD to my SSD. Can someone point me in the right direction? I'm just technical enough to be dangerous. Thanks

Jack T.

MSI Z370 SLI Plus, i7-9700k, 32 Gb DDR4 3600 MHz memory, PNY RTX 4070Ti

I know the answer is out there somewhere, but I couldn't find it. I have already installed my SSD, but have done nothing else. What I want to do is move P3d 4.2 from my HDD to my SSD. Can someone point me in the right direction? I'm just technical enough to be dangerous. Thanks

Uninstall and reinstall. It's the ONLY way.

It's been a while since I did mine but I seem to remember cloning the drive that has P3D on it using Acronis True Image - I was going from a small SSD to a larger one. If you assign the same drive letter to the SSD as the previous drive I don't think you will have any issues....

Regards

Dave

It's been a while since I did mine but I seem to remember cloning the drive that has P3D on it using Acronis True Image - I was going from a small SSD to a larger one. If you assign the same drive letter to the SSD as the previous drive I don't think you will have any issues....

Regards

Dave

Thanks for your answers. One other question I forgot to ask is what is the minimum amount of other programs that need to go on my new SSD? I'm only using it for P3D. Or do I need to install Windows 10 and everything from my HDD? Thank you!

Jack T.

Thanks for your answers. One other question I forgot to ask is what is the minimum amount of other programs that need to go on my new SSD? I'm only using it for P3D. Or do I need to install Windows 10 and everything from my HDD? Thank you!

OS and sim. Nothing more.

You can use a symbolic link to put ORBX or other applications that reside within the main P3D folder on the HDD.

All true P3dv4 applications should obey the L-M convention and install OUTSIDE the main folder, giving you adjustability on where to place them, but so far precious few do...

I cloned my HDD to an SSD using the EaseUS Backuo product. I was amazed how easy and how well it worked. Install the SSD in your existing system and do the clone operation. Shutdown and remove HDD and boot to new SSD. I reused by old HDD by reformatting to empty space.

Note that EVERYTHING gets copied. The only thing it broke was my OPUS installation - apparently OPUS ties the installation to the hardware in some manner and it broke. One of the reasons I use ActiveSky now.

However, if you only have P3D on the computer I agree with Mallcott: uninstall and reinstall would be clean and any mistakes you may have made would not be carried over via the clone operation. My system is the primary household computer so I had to clone it to preserve all the installed programs.

Ok. I think I will just do a clean installation to my new SSD with P3D stuff only. In order for it to run properly, is there anything else I need to put on the SSD with it, besides my add-ons, FSUIPC, etc.? And what about the files it saves under c:/...Documents?

Thanks for your help!

Jack T.

Ok. I think I will just do a clean installation to my new SSD with P3D stuff only. In order for it to run properly, is there anything else I need to put on the SSD with it, besides my add-ons, FSUIPC, etc.? And what about the files it saves under c:/...Documents?

Thanks for your help!

As I said, some addons install into the P3D folder - FSUIPC is one although it installs into a created `Modules` folder that is untouched by default files should a reinstall or repair be necessary.

As for the files saved OUTSIDE the Prepar3d folder? No problem, they can be accessed from anywhere and is the main reason you need to reinstall the sim - so that all reference locations are correct.

Archived