Flight Dynamics Using AirEd?

Garciamk3g

I would really Love to learn more about editing Flight Dynamics...... Can anyone Suggest a good Website where I can find some of the Values to enter into AirED for the Skylane 182QRG.

I did manage to find a PDF manual witch contains a Lot of info for the skylane 182Q http://daytonpilotsclub.org/wp-content/uploads/1981-Cessna-182-RG-POH.pdf but nothing in this PDF File give me the Values for the Control Effectiveness section on the Elevators, or Aileron Entries for AirEd.

For Example Picture Below, Id like to find the real-world Values for these entries.......The values Below are pretty much Default Values as I Haven't even started changing values yet.

Settings.jpg

Phanteks Eclipse P400A, Asus Prime Z490-A, Intel i7 10700k, Nactua U12A cooler, 64GB 3600mhz RAM, Nvidia EVGA RTX 3060 12GB XC Black Gaming, 500GB Samsung 970 Evo NvMe, 1TB WD SSD, 2TB WD SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, 650W 80+ Gold Thermatake ToughPower GF1 Fully Modular PSU.

The short answer would be to search the forums, here, with terms like "aired" or ".air file" and see what pops up. :pilot:

There are some things about .air files you should understand-

- .air files (mostly) became less important as newer versions of FS came out. Many of the variables moved over to the .cfg file as FS updated.

- .air files and .cfg files (mostly) allow you to tweak a given aircraft but a lot of the actual reference data for the basic aircraft types are coded in the .exe. In other words, you can tweak some values- but only so much is allowed.

- Published data for most real aircraft can be misleading. ;) An airplane will fly on a given day the way it wants to fly. This will be dependent on everything from weather to loading to the general condition of the air frame and engine(s). There are a LOT of variables which effect real air craft that the sims can't duplicate. Also, always remember that companies which build real airplanes want to sell real airplanes. ;)

I like the idea you want to get into trying some edits and making some modifications. That's one of the things that has kept FS fun for all these years. :cool:

Before you start, make sure you're flying the beast the way its supposed to be flown in FS.

Always make a back-up of whatever you plan to goof around with.

Make small changes and then test like crazy.

Don't be afraid of "Bob's Law". Namely, you spend many hours tuning an aircraft and within one week of finishing your work- you find out someone else did the same thing, only better, five year's ago. :p

:cool:

The short answer would be to search the forums, here, with terms like "aired" or ".air file" and see what pops up. :pilot:

There are some things about .air files you should understand-

- .air files (mostly) became less important as newer versions of FS came out. Many of the variables moved over to the .cfg file as FS updated.

- .air files and .cfg files (mostly) allow you to tweak a given aircraft but a lot of the actual reference data for the basic aircraft types are coded in the .exe. In other words, you can tweak some values- but only so much is allowed.

- Published data for most real aircraft can be misleading. ;) An airplane will fly on a given day the way it wants to fly. This will be dependent on everything from weather to loading to the general condition of the air frame and engine(s). There are a LOT of variables which effect real air craft that the sims can't duplicate. Also, always remember that companies which build real airplanes want to sell real airplanes. ;)

I like the idea you want to get into trying some edits and making some modifications. That's one of the things that has kept FS fun for all these years. :cool:

Before you start, make sure you're flying the beast the way its supposed to be flown in FS.

Always make a back-up of whatever you plan to goof around with.

Make small changes and then test like crazy.

Don't be afraid of "Bob's Law". Namely, you spend many hours tuning an aircraft and within one week of finishing your work- you find out someone else did the same thing, only better, five year's ago. :p

:cool:

Thanks Bob for the Input, you are correct.. fun it is Every day I Find myself trying to do something new cant even start talking about the amount of Hours I Spend behind the PC Tweaking and Modifying FS9

Phanteks Eclipse P400A, Asus Prime Z490-A, Intel i7 10700k, Nactua U12A cooler, 64GB 3600mhz RAM, Nvidia EVGA RTX 3060 12GB XC Black Gaming, 500GB Samsung 970 Evo NvMe, 1TB WD SSD, 2TB WD SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, 650W 80+ Gold Thermatake ToughPower GF1 Fully Modular PSU.

In Sim (FS9 and FSX) you can make a BRICK fly. Try that first. Because the Cessnas are pretty much as good as they are going to get - with limitations. You can't make it aerobatic. Or supersonic. You go UP, you FLY, you LAND. How well it does those things is up to you as a pilot and not ALL dependent on the cfg or air file entries (values).

If you make a model of a erobatic, supersonic, UFO (brick?) then you might have to do a lot of tweaks to cfg and air file to make it fly like you want. So, you can't use the Cessna dynamics. So prepare yourself for HOURS, DAYS, MONTHS, of tweaking and then trial-n-error flying to get it right. There is no textbook for tweaking air files. Common sense and lot of work ('sweat-n-tears') is required here. If you start now you should be good with air files in a few YEARS. Not days. Good luck.

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

Chuck B's right (again!) it DOES take a lot of work, research, trial and error - but that's the FUN part, right? I've had more fun in flightsim with tweaking FDE's than anything else, I've been at it for years and I'm still learning but I love it and always will!

Just for kicks, if you're looking for specifics such as fuel burn etc., here's the website to search for the aircraft you're looking for:

http://all-aero.com/

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Thank you all for the Suggestions, Tiger1962 I just checked that Website and found some useful Info under Cessna 182 RG Thank's for the link.

Tiger1962 looking into the that Site further I have found some differences under the Aircraft.cfg on the 182 Skylane and was Able to change those values, Thanks Again.

Napamule2 Lol nothing as far as aerobatic, my goal is to try and match Weight,Fuel consumption, ect,ect to real world specs as much as possible. And Physics as well I've been doing a lot of Charter and Cargo flights Via AirHauler and FSP and would like to get that sense of realism during my flights . :pilot:

Fuel consumption is like cruise altitude, its mostly up to the pilot. ;)

Try not to get into a situation where you're tweaking the .air and .cfg files to control something you can do just by leaning the mixture in the cockpit or dropping the throttle just a touch. :pilot:

There are "book values" and then there are "personal experience" values.

Archived