FS9 plus FSX

Phast Phlyer

Hi all, Just upgraded my computer but before re-installing FS9 I am hoping you experts out there can help with a more general query. Is it possible to run both FX9 and FSX on the same computer. I have tons of downloaded FS9 stuff that I don't want to ditch. But I would also now wish to run FSX on my faster machine as well. Would there be a registry clash. Could one sim be run from an external HD whilst keeping the other on the main drive or what possible combinations if any and the best way to go about it would you suggest.

MTIA

Phast Phlyer (Steve)

No problems running both, they are two distinct programs.

The only issue can occur if you have both installed and uninstall FSX. If you do that the FSX uninstaller will damage the FS9 registry entry. Fear not though as there is an easy fix for this.

Running off of an external drive is not recommended unless the drive is an eSATA drive. Most are USB and will suffer from slow data transfer rates.

Store your pictures and music on the external drive, run the sims from an internal drive if you can.

The only other suggestion I would give is to not install either sim in the Program Files folder. Make a new folder ( C:\FS9 and C:\FSX as an example) and point the installers there.

peace,

the Bean

WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.

They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Yes I run Both Sims on the Same PC no problems been for quite some time.

Phanteks Eclipse P400A, Asus Prime Z490-A, Intel i7 10700k, Nactua U12A cooler, 64GB 3600mhz RAM, Nvidia EVGA RTX 3060 12GB XC Black Gaming, 500GB Samsung 970 Evo NvMe, 1TB WD SSD, 2TB WD SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, 650W 80+ Gold Thermatake ToughPower GF1 Fully Modular PSU.

Hi Gents,

This is my saga also. Got FS2004 for years (decades) now at 50GB with extra scenery and aircraft and must say that I got FS9 down to science. A real flying! Designing airports with ADE, planning AI with T Tools, repainting aircraft and so on. BUT the saga is still there, should I try FSX? Must say that few years ago I tried it but somehow was not impressed. Frame rate was bad and also I did not really see too much difference in scenery. But must admit, I probably never gave it the full attention to explore the whole deal. So no offence to FSX users please. I guess my question would be. What are the main FSX benefits?

Cheers

Peter

Peter Bendl

ex. British Airways

If you have the computer to run it I'd say go for it, FSX is a Great Sim with all the ORBX Scenery out there can be immersive. Yet still With My FSX in its own 500GB Drive-wich has grown to 440GB Sim , and FS9 in its own 1TB Drive which has grown to about 300 GB, I Find Myself flying FS9 more then I Do FSX.

Everything running on an older 2nd Gen i7 2600 3.4ghz CPU and a GTX 970 16gb ram FS9 Is still Number one for me when it comes to flying Airliners and stuff. FSX I do mainly bush flying around ORBX Stuff.

Another thing to consider, is that Sadly FSX has become the most supported sim now a days :-( FS9 still has potential witch is why I dislike the fact that many developers stop supporting FS9

Benefits FSX over FS9

1,) SadlyHas become the most Supported Sim Now a days

2.)ORBX and newer airports being released for FSX Over FS9 By most developers

3.)Same goes with Aircraft's, Alabeo,Carenado,A2A and Many other developers designing newer Aircrafts for FSX over FS9.

And now with FSX Steam edition i still see more things to come for FSX over FS9.

FS9 Benefits, Performance and Reliability

https://www.facebook.com/My-FS9-FSX-and-ETS2-Screenshots-1448105718745013/

LOVE MY FS9 :-)

32218851_2142755802613331_6027189080343707648_n.jpg

Phanteks Eclipse P400A, Asus Prime Z490-A, Intel i7 10700k, Nactua U12A cooler, 64GB 3600mhz RAM, Nvidia EVGA RTX 3060 12GB XC Black Gaming, 500GB Samsung 970 Evo NvMe, 1TB WD SSD, 2TB WD SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, 650W 80+ Gold Thermatake ToughPower GF1 Fully Modular PSU.

Stringbean, that is not always true. I have a Vantec HX4 external enclosure. It will hold 4 hard drives. It can be connected with either eSata or USB 3.0. My new motherbaord does not have an eSata connection on it yet so I am using it USB and have transfer rates of 5Gbs. I have yet to find a piece of software that runs slow coming from it.

You are correct that probably most off the shelf external drives do not have that capability. But there are solutions to that such as the enclosure I have. :)

Ross G.

Yes Ross, my answer was based on the belief that someone who was hardware savvy enough to put together an array like that would not be here asking the question.

Thanks for posting about your superior setup.

WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.

They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Interesting thoughts,

I guess my reluctance to turn over to FSX is because of all the effort I spent through-out the years to enhance my FS9. I just did TNCM-TIST (Princess Juliana - St. Thomas) sector with updated OS -400 (with added great WH panel) and cannot picture anything more realistic. (Flew it in the past in a real aircraft also) Obviously the airports are add-on together with the scenery. I do not have a super rig mentioned by you guys, basically just standard (now days) HP with 16GBDDR, 1TB 7200 SATA and GeForce 940MX. My FS flows smoothly on this with most of the indicators to full scale. Having said all this, how do you now days obtain FSX? I purchased the discs shortly after the FSX came out, still got those but did not really load it. This was before Steam came out, so I guess there might be some download now?

P.

Peter Bendl

ex. British Airways

Hi Ross and everyone.

You are getting some excellent performance from that set up.

Can you elaborate on the exact drive, PC, USB version and try an run ATTODisk benchmark, Crystal Disk Mark and post the results.

I've been trying everything that exists, to date and the best I can get is around 3Gbs.

Thanks.

Hi P.

FSX is a huge improvement over FS9, but you Must have a fairly fast system, I would say to get it to run smoothly, at least a 3.6GHz, CPU, 8-16GB of RAM and at least a 1070, with an internal SSD or some decent SATA around 200MBs xfer rate.

If your FS9 runs good, and you are happy with it stay with it until you get a fastener / more powerful system.

Archived