Which TVs to use?

revwarguy

I am looking to start a 3 +1 screen type sim build.

I've been told to avoid 60 hz tvs, get at least 120 hz screens. The three "scenery" tvs will all be 1080.

Given that I see many computers described here struggling to achieve up to 30 fps, why would such a faster refresh rate matter? I am thinking of a GTX 1060 card to drive all four monitors and a new computer with a fast multi core CPU.

Is a 120 hz refresh important, since it adds to the cost? Any other advice to a new builder about tv/monitors?

Thanks,

I am looking to start a 3 +1 screen type sim build.

I've been told to avoid 60 hz tvs, get at least 120 hz screens. The three "scenery" tvs will all be 1080.

Given that I see many computers described here struggling to achieve up to 30 fps, why would such a faster refresh rate matter? I am thinking of a GTX 1060 card to drive all four monitors and a new computer with a fast multi core CPU.

Is a 120 hz refresh important, since it adds to the cost? Any other advice to a new builder about tv/monitors?

Thanks,

Who told you any of that? Get them here, so we can rip their arguments to shreds.

For multiple screen use you will need 30hz TV's with the highest possible resolution - 4K.

You will also want a PC and GPU combination up to driving that resolution.

Do you ?

GTX 1060 will NOT do: GTX 1080 minimum for three screens especially at 1080 res and above.

Thanks for the response. That advice was from a different forum. Money is always an issue, and 39-40 inch 1080 TVs are coming down in price, (pressure from 4K I think) so I was thinking of taking advantage of that. Monitors of similar size are 2-3 times the cost of a TV or (I guess) I would use them. Don't think I can swing 4K pricing x 3 right now, especially if I have to get the GTX1080.

I've seen them used in sims, and I have to say they looked pretty good to me but I haven't seen 3 4K screens side by side.

As to the original question, then I take it there is no advantage to 120Hz vs 60 Hz with realized FPS rates of 30-40?

I guess I need to search more on GTX boards. Know of a good source on that?

Thanks for the response. That advice was from a different forum. Money is always an issue, and 39-40 inch 1080 TVs are coming down in price, (pressure from 4K I think) so I was thinking of taking advantage of that. Monitors of similar size are 2-3 times the cost of a TV or (I guess) I would use them. Don't think I can swing 4K pricing x 3 right now, especially if I have to get the GTX1080.

I've seen them used in sims, and I have to say they looked pretty good to me but I haven't seen 3 4K screens side by side.

As to the original question, then I take it there is no advantage to 120Hz vs 60 Hz with realized FPS rates of 30-40?

I guess I need to search more on GTX boards. Know of a good source on that?

NO - but there are advantages to 30 Hz units.

Like what? Seems the eye would detect flicker.

Like in reducing demand on a video card asked to drive 3 x screens at high res. Flicker is not the issue, Refresh rate of the monitor is not the same as frame per second rate of the GPU.

Assuming you're looking for advice for simming, 120 hz monitors are completely meaningless, and 30 hz offer a sufficient advance over 60 hz, especially in 4k, to be worth the money.

It seems that there's some confusion here. The vertical refresh rate of the display is how many times per second that the image is updated, The simulator frames per second is how often a new image is available to be displayed. In the FSX.cfg "Graphics" section setting "ForceFullScreenVSync=1" prevents image tearing while panning horizontally due to the fsx image being updated while the monitor display is in the middle of an update.

Archived