WD My Passport

I just purchased this yesterday and I was wondering if anyone has some good tips on the best way to utilize the space (4 Tb). I don't know if its better to run programs from this or just use it for space? :confused:

GPU: GeForce GTX 1080

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K CPU@4.2GHz

Memory: 16.00GB Ram

Resolution: 3840 x 2160, 30Hz Seiki 39†Monitor

Operating System: Windows 10 Home Edition

Typically external drives are better for storage rather than running applications. They are especially good for backups, including photos and online software purchases. With 4TB of space you probably have enough room to create a backup image of the boot drive that would be very useful if the boot drive ever died. The USB 3 interface itself is fast enough for many programs if you really don't have the space on an internal drive, though the physical drives themselves are often slower 5400 RPM models.

Once you format it you just make folders (no need for partitions). Folders for Windows Related, Videos, Pictures, Music. Flt Sim stuff can go in folder under 'Windows Related'. You can drag from internal drive to external drive to copy (not move) files for backup. Then you can delete all the files you want as you have a backup. It takes hours and hours. But it is worth it if you save files you really don't want to lose due to HD failure (and it DO happen - sometimes 3 days after warranty expires - but not too often). I have 3 WD (My Book) 1 Tb externals. Back Up...Back Up...Back Up!!! You'll be happy you did.

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

Archived