How Do You Activate ATC?

pdmike

I am having a senior moment here .... How do you activate ATC in FSX? I have a saved flight with a flight plan. I open the saved flight. I click on the little headphones icon to open up the ATC window. It opens. There is nothing in it. How do I get the ATC guy to start talking to me, giving me instructions, etc.? I know I am failing to do something. The only thing I can think of is, in order to save time, I have my plane positioned on the runway, in takeoff position. In other words, when it asks if I want to have my plane positioned at the departure airport, I say no. When the saved flight opens, my plane is on the runway, ready to go. That shouldn't make any difference, right?

I have searched through the menus and can't seem to find any reference to ATC. I know it's in there. What's the path?

Check your General settings make sure "show message log in atc window" is ticked.

Hi Z-man. No such option in the ATC section of general settings. Only three: Show ATC Text, Auto Open ATC Window and Use Pilot Voice.

I am having a senior moment here .... How do you activate ATC in FSX? I have a saved flight with a flight plan. I open the saved flight. I click on the little headphones icon to open up the ATC window. It opens. There is nothing in it. How do I get the ATC guy to start talking to me, giving me instructions, etc.? I know I am failing to do something. The only thing I can think of is, in order to save time, I have my plane positioned on the runway, in takeoff position. In other words, when it asks if I want to have my plane positioned at the departure airport, I say no. When the saved flight opens, my plane is on the runway, ready to go. That shouldn't make any difference, right?

I have searched through the menus and can't seem to find any reference to ATC. I know it's in there. What's the path?

FSX is doing what you talled it when you saved it and of course it is placing you now where you left it.

You should have saved it before you took off and not after you finished the flight and reposition your AC at the end, on the runway to flight out next time.

So now, you are there sitting and waiting on nothing cause you haven't told FSX your new Flight Plan. Last one you did, you finished it so FSX cleared the board sort of speak.

Make a new flight plan and you will see the ATC come alive again and offering you a request clearance.

Cheers,

FSX is doing what you talled it when you saved it and of course it is placing you now where you left it.

You should have saved it before you took off and not after you finished the flight and reposition your AC at the end, on the runway to flight out next time.

So now, you are there sitting and waiting on nothing cause you haven't told FSX your new Flight Plan. Last one you did, you finished it so FSX cleared the board sort of speak.

Make a new flight plan and you will see the ATC come alive again and offering you a request clearance.

Cheers,

I got her working, but there is another problem. Notice I said I have my plane positioned at the start of the runway in takeoff position. I am ready to begin ATC at the "Cleared for Takeoff" spot but ATC thinks my plane is at a gate somewhere, and requires me to go through Clearance, Ground, Taxi, etc., even though the plane is sitting in the takeoff posision. Is there any way around this - any way to have ATC "kick in" to begin at the cleared for takeoff spot?

Hi Z-man. No such option in the ATC section of general settings. Only three: Show ATC Text, Auto Open ATC Window and Use Pilot Voice.

You don't see this on your Settings/General Page?

ATC.JPG

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

I got her working, but there is another problem. Notice I said I have my plane positioned at the start of the runway in takeoff position. I am ready to begin ATC at the "Cleared for Takeoff" spot but ATC thinks my plane is at a gate somewhere, and requires me to go through Clearance, Ground, Taxi, etc., even though the plane is sitting in the takeoff posision. Is there any way around this - any way to have ATC "kick in" to begin at the cleared for takeoff spot?

First, you shouldn't be on the runway while talking to ATC until they clear you to depart + wind heading/wind speed. You should be at the stop entry lines point to the runway.

In your case I have you on the runway ready to go and you and ATC are in agreement that is the one. So click, click until you get the one where you request take off clearance from Tower. If you and ATC are not in agreement (wrong side or runway) you follow where they asked to go and then ask for clearance from Tower and off you go. Who will know if you cheat? Only God, I guess.

Cheers,

Archived