Losing scenery by minimizing FSX

This is an old problem that has been around for a while and has never completely gone away.

I recently ran my ASUS Factory recovery and did all the Windows 7 updates (except the one for my nVidia card -- see description in my signature). I reinstalled FSX and Accelleration. FSX has been running pretty much the same as always but the disappearing scenery problem has returned with a vengence. I remembered a file that I had used before that nearly solved that problem but not entirely. I found it: UIAutomationCore.DLL. I put it in the main FSX folder - that would be C:\FSX\. This seemed to help but not quite.

At the end of a fairly long flight: an hour and a half or more, after taxiing to the gate and shutting down the engines I always feel I better make a note of the total flying time and the FOB and the Fuel Burn, right away, because I am going to lose the scenery. That can happen simply by opening up another window, for example to look at something in FSUIPC or to look at my scenery settings. It can also happen just by minimizing FSX. Since reinstalling, I have been running in Windowed Mode since I read recently that I SHOULD be running in Windowed Mode all the time. When in Windowed Mode I don't actually Minimize FSX but I mouse click in the Title Bar to REDUCE the size of FSX; you know, so FSX only takes up only half of the desktop. Often, that act will immediately cause all the scenery to disappear - I will see a brown band across FSX and and Black band, too. I have never been able to recover from that and normally I can hear other traffic at the airport but I can't see anything.

I don't remember this ever happening during my flight but, almost always, at the end of the flight when changing window views. I have just let the plane sit there with the engines shut down for a half hour or more without any loss of scenery. But, just minimize or open another window and that triggers the problem. This always occurrs when I am flying my Level-D 763 and usually when I am flying a default jet such as the A321 or the B738 or the Learjet. Those are stock FSX planes. The Level-D 763 presents a more difficult load to FSX.

I am considering Active Sky Next and the A2A Skyhawk but I don't want to make any changes in that area until I see if there is a fix for this annoying problem with FSX Accelleration which, otherwise runs just fine. I thought running in Windowed Mode might help.

Is there a fix for this problem? My System is described in my signature line.

Thank you,

Tim

ASUS GL 12CX; Intel i7 9700K 3.6 GHz; 16 GB GDDR8 Memory; System BUS 2660 MHz; 8 MB L3 cache;

NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 2080 8GB GDDR6; Windows 10 Home x64

First thing to try is to assign a kbd combo to “Refresh Scenery” (in Settings-Controls-Buttons/Keys).

If your scenery goes south again, see if hitting that key solves the problem.

btw. It’s better to pause the sim before hitting the key combo.

Wim

b727fcaptain.jpgx701captain5.jpg

I'll have to try that next time. I have tried other things but I forgot about the Ctrl + Shift + s combo.

Thanks

Thank you,

Tim

ASUS GL 12CX; Intel i7 9700K 3.6 GHz; 16 GB GDDR8 Memory; System BUS 2660 MHz; 8 MB L3 cache;

In your cfg file, main FSX one, under Graphics, add this line, exactly as shown:

HIGHMEMFIX =1

Thank you to kingnorris! I made a flight of about an hour and a half from KDTW to KATL and gave it the acid test by making the flight in the Level-D B763. After parking at the gate I tried several ways to make the scenery disappear but I couldn't do it. Thank you. I thought it was amazing how one little line in the FSX.cfg file could make such a difference.

Thank you,

Tim

Glad it worked! I had the same issue; if I ended a flight then hit the replay of the landing, my scenery would go bonkers as well, until I did this fix. All has been well since.
CLX - SET Gaming Desktop - Intel Core i9 10850K - 32GB DDR4 3000GHz Memory - GeForce RTX 3060 Ti - 960GB SSD + 4TB HDD - Windows 11 Home

Glad it worked! I had the same issue; if I ended a flight then hit the replay of the landing, my scenery would go bonkers as well, until I did this fix. All has been well since.

GREAT HELP!! TBTG I haven't had this issue, yet! But it's great there are so many people in these forums who pass what they've learned along!! I use it for reference on a regular basis!

Rupert

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

Can you help me? What’s TBTG mean?

Maybe it means "To Be Truly Grateful." :D

I know I have often been very grateful to guys like you, KingNorris, and others who take the time to help those of us who tend to live out here in a world of our own. If it weren't for the "heros" of Flightsim.com, I would remain at a loss of what to do in certain situations. We appreciate you and the others here who are willing to jump in and help the way you do!

Thank you,

Tim

Just to add a bit more clarity, the himemfix allows FSX to use more video card memory (tells FSX you have more than 512 meg graphic memory.) The UIAutomationCore.DLL fixes one problem only- hard crashes due to too many mouse clicks on menu items for those using 64 bit machines.

-Pv-

2 carrot salad, 10.41 liter bucket, electric doorbell, 17 inch fan, 12X14, 85 Dbm

Archived