Microsoft FSX or Steam which is the best flightsim

25 yrs ago I started off with Microsoft (forget the name) but it was pretty primitive compared to today's flightsims; then upgraded to Sublogic ATP, what an improvement that was. I read somewhere they were the originating team of FSX. I now have loaded MS 2004 Century of flight & FSX Gold edition with VFR photographic UK with terrain. The rest of the world scenery is as FSX default, I like the mix of scenery including default FSX. It seems now that VFR photographic on disc is a rarity and mainly downloads are the way forwards for flightsim; i.e. Microsoft FSX Steam.

I note that FSX Steam can be either downloaded or purchased on a Disc. (I prefer a disc as backup) I understand that STEAM cannot be loaded over existing FSX but has to be installed as a separate installation on the HD.

Also, on the Steam website extra packages can be purchased as required.

I just wonder that if I decided to go STEAM then how much would it cost me to achieve the standards I currently have with my favourite old FSX and scenery.

What do you fly with and what scenery have you; would you recommend moving up to Steam or not and if so why?

I've found the Steam Edition to be more stable and less temperamental but if I'm honest and didn't have so much invested in FSX, scenery, airports, aircraft etc. I would buy X-Plane 11. I tried the demo and it felt more robust and will continue to be developed, add-ons and all.

Alan

You cannot buy FSX Steam (also called FSX:SE) on a DVD, as far as I know, it's download only. And your understanding is correct, you don't install Steam over boxed FSX, but beside it.

I have both boxed and Steam FSX plus P3Dv4 on my system, and for my own ease of use I have them on different drives, but that is not necessary, you can have them all on one drive but installed to different folders. The only thing to be aware of is NOT to install ANY of them under Microsoft's favorite location at C:\Program Files (x86), because of the possible issues with UAC.

And you can point FSX Steam to the locations of most of your current scenery and aircraft, so you don't need to install stuff twice.

Jorgen

Fsx steam is the exact same program as 'fsx'.

Steam bought from microsoft a licence to distribute the sim. Not to change it. Microsoft reserved all copyrights.

The only change (and win made that change is not clear) is that in steam, multiplayer links to the steam multiplayer server.

(But with the disk version it is also still possible to play multiplayer. )

also they included the correct uiautomationcore file. (you can easily download it yourself for the disk edition.)

apart from that it's all the same. Same performance. Same planes. Same scenery. (but if you have a payware plane, for steam you need the version that installs in the steam folders. Many addons come in two versions that are sold separately.)

the key is the word 'edition'.

Same book, different cover.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Steam bought from microsoft a licence to distribute the sim. Not to change it. Microsoft reserved all copyrights.

Dovetail bought the rights to distribute FSX, not Steam. Steam is just the store front Dovetail chose to sell FSX through.

Archived