Steam Really Screwed Up My Computer

utahkid

I wanted to get into flight simulation and installed Steam, but it screwed up my computer really bad. I use Windows 7 and

have a powerful computer. I used to fly some of the older sims that MicroProse made years ago.

What is the easiest flight sim to purchase that does not have a large learning curve and I will not have to use Steam.

What do you mean"screwed up" your computer?

I've been using FSX:SE since the day it came out, no troubles at all. I have Vista, and didn't have a bit of trouble installing STEAM or running FSX. Didn't adversely affect my computer in any way, other than taking up HD space, obviously.

Can you be a little more specific? WHAT did it do to your computer? Supposedly...

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

FSX from Steam has got to be the easiest installation of any flightsim software. And a willingness to learn is always a prerequisite for flight simming, so maybe it's a good time to rethink about what you want to do. If your pc couldn't accommodate Steam, maybe time to thoroughly check your computer's condition.

I wanted to get into flight simulation and installed Steam, but it screwed up my computer really bad. I use Windows 7 and

have a powerful computer. I used to fly some of the older sims that MicroProse made years ago.

What is the easiest flight sim to purchase that does not have a large learning curve and I will not have to use Steam.

FSX SE is the easiest. Period.

If you are struggling with Steam try explaining the problem as screwed it up really bad hardly describes anything at all.

As for a `powerful computer`, be specific...

Finally, all sims have a large learning curve even if you are a real world pilot. It's part of the attraction.

I agree that UtahKid has left far too many of the specifics from his question, but I sympathies with him. I lost my flight sim machine way back last spring and am just now getting to the point where I am somewhat happy with my new install on 7 Pro, and I'm installing RS9 and related stuff. I tried FSX SE and ran into difficulties and have nly recently revisited the issue. He's right, W7 is not a friendly platform.

Well Guys

When I said screwed up my computer I meant that after installing Steam some programs would not work anymore like Firefox. After I uninstalled Steam all was OK again.

Something else wrong on your PC. Steam 100% works perfectly fine with Win 7 and Firefox. Win 7 along with XP are MS's best ever operating systems and Firefox is excellent as well. There is not enough information to know where things may be going wrong.

Mark Daniels

Well Guys

When I said screwed up my computer I meant that after installing Steam some programs would not work anymore like Firefox. After I uninstalled Steam all was OK again.

Firefox not working after the installation of the Steam client is a common issue - google is your friend here. Search using the phrase firefox stopped working after installing steam and you will get loads of info on how to resolve the issue.

Also, not wanting/meaning to sound rude but some of the issues encountered can be down to a very simply but often missed step when it comes to installing new software - rebooting the PC after the install so that windows registry and 'shared' system files (such as .dll files) can by updated. Not rebooting and running a previously installed app can cause issues because the newer app may be using/hogging 'shared' system files that have yet to be updated and denying the older app access to them.

Regards

Brian

+1 what Brian said. (Except for the 'rude' part - heehee). That is all that was 'wrong'. REBOOT PC.

Chuck B

Napamule

PS: Happy New Year to all...

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

Archived