frame rate lock

alexzar14

Been a week since I upgraded to 7700k, with locked fps (various rates) I had low fps rate (reported previously), soon after I tried unlimited and I had a big gain in rate. I run my sim with fps set to unlimited and I get near 30 where I struggled all my life before the 7700 (@ resource-demanding aircraft and scenery). I have this question for the past several days... why locking the fps rate if it kills fps rate...

Absolutely love it now, finally after decade+ of struggles I enjoy the sim everywhere I go with any aircraft, FSL/PMDG whatever.

So, locking/unlocking... please comment what you guys feel one needs to know in regards to p3dv4 and my experience with keeping the rate unlocked.

v4 is different.

Lock frame rate in-sim.

Do nothing else except perhaps optimise Affinity Mask IF you know what you're doing AND have good reasons to do it (Note: Most YouTube videos and associated ex-spurts provide nonsensical advice - if you follow that advice you're a bigger pillock than the egotistical cretin proffering it).

You have been warned.

The biggest problem is that you pay attention to the FPS. In P3d, especially v4 it means relatively nothing. Running unlimited does nothing but waste resources trying to maintain a high fps at the expense of the graphics.

Tune your system for the LOWEST fps with the SMOOTHEST performance with the graphics settings you like.

On my system that's 20 fps with most all sliders at or near max. I can also get 30fps with same settings but other than bragging rights, the sim doesn't run any better at 30 than it does at 20.

Vic

P3D Rig

I7 7700K @ 5.0ghz Asus Maximus X270 16G G.Skill 3600 15-15-15-18 2T EVGARTX2080ti Corsair 1000W PSU 1TB Samsung SSD for P3D - 2 - 256G OCZ Vector SSD - HAF X - Corsiar H100i V2 Liquid Cooler W10 64 Pro.

• 1 month later...
Orbx highly recommend locking between 25-30 fps, they maintain that unlimited settings cause blurries to develop, as the CPU chases the frames. After spending several frustrating days with very nasty blurries, I am now fixed to 25 fps and am very satisfied with my mid range system. I found that if set to unlimited my fps increased substantially, but my scenery at low level went totally to pot after about 10 minutes of flying...

With a 6700 or 7700, set the AffinityMask to 84.

Jorgen

With P3Dv4.2 don't. The sim is ready-optimised and better off without `enhancement`.

Simply rebuild the prepar3d.cfg which introduces several new entries, re-set your preferences and let the sim get on with it.

AM will only be used in specific circumstances. Choice of CPU isn't one.

Archived