FS Closes when selecting the Frolov Dash 8

louross

Hi,

I had this happening with some sceneries but never with aircraft (got many). I would try to position aircraft to a different airport (preferable default) to see if the scenery does this. If it still closes FS, I would probably first suspect the gauges. Try to use a different panel, if still problem, change sound folder to some kind of a default, if still problem try the different texture. By this process of elimination you should probably find out what is the problem.

Oh also see what the "b" version added?

Good Luck.

Peter Bendl

ex. British Airways

there are 2 common things that can make fs9 crash when selecting an aircraft. 1 is not having the correct sim= entry in the aircraft.cfg, for example if the .air file is named dash8.air then the sim= entry in the aircraft.cfg should read sim=dash8. the 2nd one is an incorrect model.cfg file. for example, in the model folder if the model is named dash8.mdl then the corresponding model.cfg file entry should read normal=dash8 without the .mdl extension! if that file reads normal=dash8.mdl it will crash the sim

- bernie

p.s. no need to call me Capt folks, Capt Flappers is just a name my wife teases me with because of my flight sim obsession. :o

Bad textures can cause an aircraft to CTD. But most of mine have been from gauge issues, especially when using aircraft from older versions in FS9; comm and nav gauges are usually the culprits, there's also a CD player/radio gauge from FS2k days that frequently appears and almost always causes a CTD or lockup. Temporarily rename the panel.cfg and see if the aircraft then loads, if it does then remove gauges one or two at a time from the panel.cfg til you find the incompatible one; replace it with a similar gauge from another aircraft.

It's okay with no panel, but no panel/cockpit. I put it back, went to fs Gauges, but there aren't seperate gauges for the Frolov Dash 8- just one gauge that says something like "Algaudash8." So at this point I'm out of luck???

lr.

lou"wakemeatthemarker"ross

They have just compiled all the gauges into one file. You can still disable the gauges individually by placing // at the start of the line in the panel.cfg; disable five or six gauges (I would start with nav gauges) and see if the plane loads, if it doesn't, disable a few more; when the plane loads you know the "bad" gauge is one of that last group, enable those one at a time until the plane CTDs again, that last gauge is the problem. Note what it is (altimeter, VOR, etc.), go to the panel.cfg of a similar plane and copy just the name of its corresponding gauge, paste that into the panel.cfg of your plane overwriting just the name of that gauge (do not otherwise alter anything on that line), save. See if the plane now loads and the new gauge looks and performs properly (if it does but you do not like that particular gauge, try another from a different aircraft).

For example, this indicates an ADF radio, the numbers at the end designate its size and position (the exclamation point indicates this gauge is contained in the compiled file "bendix_king_radio"):

gauge01=bendix_king_radio!Bendix-King Radio ADF, 784,314,217,61

this will disable it:

// gauge01=bendix_king_radio!Bendix-King Radio ADF, 784,314,217,61

replacing it with an old fpda ADF:

gauge01=fpda_radio_adf, 784,314,217,61

There may be more than one gauge causing issues, especially in complex panels with many mfds, radar, etc., but this should get you started.

Since this panel was originally designed for FS2002, some of the gauges may use the old FSSound.dll module. This module needs to be in your FS2004 Modules directory, and it needs to be activated by this entry in your FS9.cfg file:

[OLDMODULES]

FSSound.dll=1

Even if this isn't the cause of your CTD, it won't hurt anything to add this module if you haven't got it already.

Edit: I've just found a version of the FSSound.dll which doesn't need the FS9.cfg entry (allegedly):

http://www.avsimrus.com/f/fs2004-utilities-45/fssound-dll-26812.html

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Ill try the double slah again, but, using Windows 7, the double slash can't be typed when changing a name. The install instructions say if not using Windows XP, be sure the ???.dll gauge is installed in the main FS folder which it is, so I deleted itr and the a/c loads like it should. Now, problem is, which I also had in XP, is that the Condition Levers will only move to cutyoff and start/feather, but not to flight idle. Any ideas there? (usually use the mouse, which won't move the condition levers except to those 2 spots, and the keyboard keys will not move it at all).

lr.

Is there a Gust Lock on the throttles? Most turboprops have one, and you'll need to release it before you can advance the throttles from start/feather.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Ill try the double slah again, but, using Windows 7, the double slash can't be typed when changing a name. The install instructions say if not using Windows XP, be sure the ???.dll gauge is installed in the main FS folder which it is, so I deleted itr and the a/c loads like it should. Now, problem is, which I also had in XP, is that the Condition Levers will only move to cutyoff and start/feather, but not to flight idle. Any ideas there? (usually use the mouse, which won't move the condition levers except to those 2 spots, and the keyboard keys will not move it at all).

lr.

You're not renaming any files, the double slash goes at the start of the line(s) in the panel.cfg (tells FS9 to skip that line).

Okay, the panel (a/c) loads fine , but the Condition Levers will only move to Cut-off and to Start/Feather. But they willnot move to any of the 2 Flight modes. The Control Lock is off.

Thanks for all this. Got that part fixed okay- Thanks,JGF!

lr.

Archived