ILS Approach Boeing 747 FSX

JamieEtecia

So I was trying to land a default 747 using ILS. I do everything I need to do to get prepared. I put the ILS freq. and activate it and course in its respective place. I even turn on the ID to make sure I'm close to the right one. When I fly the Boeing 737 I activate the APP hold at around 10-12 miles out, I tried the same with the 747 but I just flew right past the airport.

Am I doing something wrong?

Etecia

Jamie - You need to be approaching below the glide scope to intercept it. I use SkyVector to find out at what altitude each airport has for intercepting the glide scope. It will tell you the altitude and the distance out from the airport where you will intercept.

You are saying you are approaching 10-12 miles out, but at what altitude? If the altitude intercept point is 2000' and you are approaching the airport at 3000', you will fly right over and past the glide scope! If you flew the same scenario at 1600', you will be approaching below the glide scope and you will intercept it and all will be good! Check out the approach plates on SkyVector, the information there will help you for each airport you are landing at!

Good luck, I hope that helps! - Rick

Another thing, make sure the airport has an actual ILS, not just a VOR, or DME. Something that may appear at first glance to be an ILS, but actually isn't, if you see what I mean.

I presume also you didn't add some panel that doesn't have an decent AP, or make some other change(s) to the plane that would prevent the AP from functioning correctly.

Finally, are you approaching the airport at the correct angle to the runway heading? By the time you hit the 10NMi point, you should be at about 30° off the runway heading, going towords the runway heading.

Good luck, hope you get it figgered out.

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

Archived