FSX ILS not 'properly' working on windows 7 64-bit

gugasid

Hello ALL,

I am having a few issues during ILS approach/landing. Rather than describing what I m doing, setup..etc I have a few specific questions. The same behavior is showing up both in FSX and FSX-SE running windows 7 64-bit OS on two different machines. Main problem is not tracking the localizer accurately.

Questions: - are you required to use autopilot in APP mode for ILS to work?

- Are there any set of 'minimums' that must be met. Are you required to be above/below a certain altitude or a

minimum distance from the runway for it to sync.

- What is the tolerance on heading. For example if your ILS heading is 030 degrees, will the ILS intercept if you

are approaching at 035, 040 etc...

An unrelated question. How can you estimate distance from a runway or airport - if you are required to contact tower at 5 miles from the airport, how do you know you are actually at/around 5 miles from the airport. DME is not always available. Similarly, while preparing to land, if you have to join the traffic pattern how do you know you are about 0.5 miles parallel to the runway.

Thanks in advance for all the answers.

Considering your questions, it's kinda rude to blame the OS, as the title seems to suggest. Oh well, for once it's not W10 that gets the blame this time.

- Autopilot is not necessary, you can fly the needles manually. But that's not your question I suppose ?

- If you want to have the AP fly the ILS: you approach the ILS on Alt Hold, HDG Hold at some 30° deviation from ILS heading, flying towards it. Altitude must be BELOW ILS glideslope (check charts). When the needle starts to move, engage AP APP.

The AP will now turn the aircraft into the ILS heading. Speed (engine, flaps) depends on aircraft, but must be appropriately low (practice or find info).

- When the aircraft starts to descend, lower gear, set flaps to landing position.

- When the aircraft can't hold the glideslope (sinks below it while on AP), you're too slow. Add thrust. Speed is OK when the AP can JUST hold the GS (that's the way I judge it).

- Don't add flaps in a late stage, you'll start ballooning (and thus overshooting).

- Over the runway threshold, disengage AP and land manually. Flare.

- Practice, practice.

As for the distance: if ILS has no DME, tune NAV2 to another VOR/DME at the airport. If none available, bad luck. As for the pattern, you should be able too judge that visually (again: practice).

Wim

b727fcaptain.jpgx701captain5.jpg

This should also help. See the section called ILS Approaches..........Doug
Intel 10700K @ 5.0 Ghz, Asus Maxumus XII Hero MB, Noctua NH-U12A Cooler, Corsair Vengence Pro 32GB 3200Mhz, Geforce RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, and other good stuff.

Considering your questions, it's kinda rude to blame the OS, as the title seems to suggest. Oh well, for once it's not W10 that get's the blame this time.

- Autopilot is not necessary, you can fly the needles manually. But that's not your question I suppose ?

- If you want to have the AP fly the ILS: you approach the ILS on Alt Hold, HDG Hold at some 30° deviation for ILS heading, flying towards it. Altitude must be BELOW ILS glideslope (check charts). When the needle starts to move, engage AP APP.

Wim

I had no intention of blaming the OS; just setting the environment.

My question was do you have to use autopilot for ILS

You responded "autopilot is not necessary, you can fly the needles manually...". Then you turn around at the end of the next para and say "when the needle starts to move, engage AP APP".

I have no problem using ILS with APP mode engaged. My problem is unable to track the localizer beam manually. The needle is grossly off mark.

Any suggestions?

You responded "autopilot is not necessary, you can fly the needles manually...". Then you turn around at the end of the next para and say "when the needle starts to move, engage AP APP".

I did start that paragraph with “if you want the AP to fly the ILS...”, no?

If the ILS needle is grossly off mark, you’re grossly out-of-line. That’s the way it’s meant to work.

No, serious now. I think you try to pick up the localizer too close to the airport. Start your aligning from further, the needle won’t move that abruptly.

Wim

b727fcaptain.jpgx701captain5.jpg

And don't forget: At some airports the ILS is offset from the runway. You can fly the needles perfectly, and land off to one side of the runway. Check your charts to see if the runway you're using is offset that way. The glideslope is normally correct, but the localizer may be off to one side, necessitating you handflying the approach, AND to have the needle off to one side or the other somewhat.

Another thing to remember: When you cross the threshold, and cut the AP, you need to cut off the Autothrottle separately. Shutting the AP down doesn't shut the AT off, so if you're handflying, you'll touchdown, but just keep on rolling out onto the nearest freeway. Quite embarrassing. Not that *I* ever did that...ahem...

As for judging distances, without a DME reading, you can look at the GPS, presuming you have either a flight plan loaded up and running, or put the airport into the GPS in Direct To mode. It'll count down the distance for you on the main, map page. Upper right corner of the display, with Time to Target in the lower right corner. Best way, of course, is experience, as has been mentioned, but you can use the GPS trick to gain the experience you need.

Best way, I think, is to fly the default C172 around patterns over and over. Make the entry you want, say 30° off the runway heading, then fly the pattern at the airport's pattern altitude. I've found that the wings make for great visual references. During each leg, the runway should be JUST off one wingtip, and make your turns when the runway is about 45° behind the plane. Make Standard Rate turns.

Once you get to where you can do all that in your sleep, THEN go to a bigger, more complex plane. The Beech 350, for example. Again, when you can do it in your sleep, step up again.

You don't have to use default FSX planes, but if it were me, I'd stick to the varieties I mentioned.

As your last step, THEN use a tube-liner. If you can hand-fly a Tube, then start using the AP to fly an approach. To control the plane with the AP, you need to be able to control the bird without it first. And only use one feature of the AP at a time to learn. ONLY use the heading hold then switch to APP mode. Control everything else manually. Once you have that down, then use the glideslope AND the AP mode. Then add the AT in.

I personally, don't like flying tubes. Military jets, yes, but no tubes. And I personally, never use the AP. I hand-fly everything, everywhere I go. To me, it's a lot more fun and challenging than twisting knobs and pushing buttons to fly.

But that's just me...

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

- When the aircraft can't hold the glideslope (sinks below it while on AP), you're too slow. Add thrust. Speed is OK when the AP can JUST hold the GS (that's the way I judge it).

Wim

Wim - All your points on ILS landings were "spot on," but the above point is one that I have not been paying attention to! Lately, I have been downloading freeware Boeings and most have resulted in very successful downloads and subsequest flights. However, when I got to the larger Boeings, such as the 777's, my test flights after download weren't "anything to write home about!" My ILS approaches were ending up about a 1/4 to a 1/2 mile short of the threshold and I naturally didn't take the blame myself; had to be something wrong with the download? Late last night, I gave myself one more chance at another 777 download! I remember reading your above point about sinking below the glide scope due to being too slow! I set the KIAS to the recommended Final Glidescope Descent airspeed and left it there. Right on, dead nut! I have been reducing those airspeeds about 5 KIAS, which doesn't sound like much, but apparently with the heavier aircraft it does make a difference! I must say, it does, and I am back to flying without all my "expletives" after dropping the bird in the dirt! Thanks again, for helping me and I am sure others have also picked up on your helpful hints!

Rick

Archived