Where is the Control Drift Issues coming from?

kbergphd

Hi All,

I have FSX/Steam and using CH Products Flight SIM Yoke LE on an i5/8GB RAM and 1GB Video Card. I have used this yoke for many years and have recently gotten back into Siming. I also have registered copy of FSUIPC4 and have all my controls setup and calibrated on that. I have taken off any controls from FSX I also have unchecked the enable controls in FSX Settings--Control screen. I have attempted to setup FSUIPC according to the manual and YouTube video discussions.

I have been practicing my landings and consistently drift off the centerline, even though there is no wind! The drift is to the left. I try to put in enough rudder but it does not seem to help.

Recently, I tried an ILS approach and put the AutoPilot in Approach Mode and adjusting the glide path with pitch and power. The AutoPilot tracked the centerline down to the ground and I was able to nail the landing. I then disconnected the AP when I was about 50' above the runway and began to drift to the left. Putting rudder in did not help, and attempts to correct with the yoke did not help either. It just turned the plane at an angle to the runway.

So, because the autopilot can track the centerline and I can't I am wondering is it me or the controls or both? Any idea what might be causing this, that I can fix?

Thanks, Kent.

Practice, practice, practice. Ain't a car. Do touch and goes (a thousand or so) until you become sick of your stomach then quit and do it again the following day. You are probably the drifter not knowingly and you can't be fixed, just trained. Anticipate when and where you will touch down then quickly do corrections (don't over do it) if needed. Set your landing speed and VS in advance then aim for the centerline (yoke only no rudder IFF no wind). We'll wait for you at the entrance of landing with winds.

Cheers,

Hi All,

It would appear that it is operator error. I forgot to check user defined and had Real world weather that was putting in a light xwind. Sorry about that. :-(((. I checked user defined and 0 wind, and there is no drift. I don't hit the centerline every time but I sure am closer. I definitely need work with xwind landings! Thanks, Kent.

Thank you mabe5454,

YES...practice, practice, practice!!! You are right. Since I now know I am terrible at xwind and will have to step up doing those after I get the basics nailed down. WOW...am I rusty. I got my Private Pilot's License in 1980 (I wasn't good at xwinds then either), but have not flown since then, and am only getting back into Simming and NEED alot of practice!. Thanks for the help, Kent.

For any 'wind' landing (crosswind or 45 degree) you have to have 'Auto Coordination' turned off. If you don't then any rudder will produce roll and you won't be able to 'CRAB' on approach. That simple. Practice of course, but also controller setup is key.

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

Archived