Joystick Problem

TightGit

Not sure if this is the correct section of the Forum but:

My beloved Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback 2 has suddenly started moving VERY violently when I start up or closedown my FSX system.

Apart from making me jump, I'm afraid it's going to do itself a mischief!

Has anyone any idea why it's doing this, please?

Many thanks for your quick reply.

The joystick works perfectly whilst flying, it's just the violent movement at start up/closedown that worries me.

I did use your suggested software to double check and it confirms all is normal.

I realise this is a very old product, but it's highly regarded, so I hope someone still has it in use and can advise.

The solution is to HOLD the joystick with your hand (left hand?) as you 'Exit' FSX. That will keep if from flapping about. Same thing when starting FSX. It's a known 'glitch' of FFB sticks. MS Sidewinder sticks, anyway. Some people even open it up and find the optical sensor that relates to FFB and add a switch to turn that off (electronically) to prevent that 'flapping' before start/exit. Extreme fix IMHO.

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

Quote: '...so are switched off automatically when the stick is not held.'

THAT is the problem. It is NOT 'automatically' switched off ANYMORE. Used to. But due to 'xyz' it doesn't anymore. So, the solution is to HOLD the stick when switching on/off FSX. Or do electrical mod to disable the sensor. Your choice. You can not do trouble shooting when you throw in 'probablility' and 'normal' or 'default' behavior EXPECTATIONS. Get real.

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

Hello again Lesh,

Yes, the bottom hole was blocked and, having cleared it of crud, the stick works perfectly again.

It's had well over a decade of heavy use, so I suppose it's to be expected, although I'll be having a word with Mrs TG about the thoroughness of her housework!

Can't get the staff (LOL)...

Many thanks for your assistance. :)

Archived