FSX from C:/ to F:/ Is it safe ?

ninja123

I recently discovered I was running out of space on the main drive .

So I made a backup and copied all the FSX files to an external hard drive G:/.

My Computer has 3 partitions ,

Local disc C:/

System Reserved D:/

Gateway F:/

And DVD E:/

Then I moved FSX to F:/ which has more capacity .

To my delight it works perfectly and with some tweaks in Nvidia Inspector .

My question . Is it safe to delete FSX from Local disc C:/ ?

Are there any hidden connections between C: and F: that may be lost ?

I know I could "give it a go" but I want to avoid grief from unexpected consequences .

Looking for guidance from people much smarter than me .

Thank you in advance .

If it's just default FSX then all that would need to be adjusted is the path to FSX in your Windows registry and there are utilities that will do that automatically.

If it's FSX and scenery it's a bit more difficult but doable.

If it's FSX, scenery and FSX add ons, then it can be very difficult and a fresh reinstall would work best.

http://www.air-source.us/images/sigs/000219_195_jimskorna.png

It doesn't matter what drive (D, E, F, G, etc) you install FSX in there will always be some FSX files (installed by FSX, not Windows) in your main © drive. Deletion of FSX install folder will not delete these files in C drive. They include fsx cfg, etc.

One of the things that gets taken care of when you INSTALL (not copy) FSX is the registry entries. Registry entries is a Windows component. When you UNINSTALL (not copy or move) FSX these entries will be removed but the FSX files in Windows (System 32) will remain and will interfere with re-install of Windows. IE: FSX will generate errors when it detects those 'left over' files (purposely put there by FSX/Microsoft) exist so that FSX installer 'thinks' that FSX is already installed.

So the bottom line is: INSTALL FSX from DVD discs to a fresh Hard Drive (formated). Do not install FSX in 'Program Files'. UN-INSTALL of FSX should include removal of all FSX related files from C drive (if you plan to RE-INSTALL to same computer irregardless of LETTER of Hard Drive you plan to RE-INSTALL FSX into).

And if you have FSX Gold with Acceleration you install FSX first. Run FSX then exit. ReStart PC. Install Acceleration. Runs FSX then exit. ReStart PC. Run FSX and install 'Default' Flight (C-172 at any airport will do). That is it. Good luck.

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

In the past I have both reinstalled and moved FSX to another drive; the result for me was the same. I used the registry repair tool (with no ill effects) after the move.

There is one other issue not previously mentioned: when moving FSX, you are also moving the sceneries referenced in the scenery.cfg (in the program data folder). This file will tell FSX that the scenery is still in the original location so you will need to

[1] make a backup of the current scenery.cfg for safety.

[2] edit the scenery paths of all entries to refer to the new install location ('find and replace' feature in notepad will work fine)

If you are not comfortable editing the scenery.cfg get some help or perhaps go with the fresh install approach.

Loyd

Hooked since FS4... now flying:

self-built i7-4790 at 4 GHz; GA-Z97X mobo; GTX 970; 16GB gskill;

quiet, fast and cool running.

Win 7/64: 840 EVO OS; 840 EVO (500G) game drive;

Win10/64: 850 EVO (500G) for OS and games

A few Flightsim videos on YouTube at CanyonCorners

• 2 weeks later...

No because that D drive has been associated (by use of check sum) which reflects your current PC HARDWARE profile (motherbord, id, model, etc). The different PC will generate a different check sum due to different hardware profile and when you start FSX it will check the check sum file and will then crash or not start. Not sure if it disables itself.

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

FSX will never fail to start due to new hardware. All that talk of check sum and hardware profiles is wrong. I just did almost a full system rebuild about a month ago and FSX responded just fine the first time I ran it. Yes, this included a new motherboard and CPU. Win 10 on the other hand was another matter.
http://www.air-source.us/images/sigs/000219_195_jimskorna.png

If you have payware planes installed you can't just move it over. They would need to be removed and reinstalled (and activated) later.

Even activation of fsx is not simple. One way is to make a folder on the drive and install fsx fresh there. Then the system (win) knows it's installed ok. Then delete (NOT uninstall !!) that folder, and put the old folder in it's place. (same folder name). Fooling the system that the old folder is the new one.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

You should know that each time I say this loki comes in and says moving fsx is actually dead-simple. He probably knows something I still don't get.

I always thought the registry entries for fsx were difficult to 'fake', especially th activation one.

They are also quite important for editing and software development software to work. For ADE, and the FSX-SDK for example.

Btw, if you are talking about FSX Steam edition, then moving it to another pc is easier. Steam has an inbuilt utility to help you do that.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

You should know that each time I say this loki comes in and says moving fsx is actually dead-simple. He probably knows something I still don't get.

I always thought the registry entries for fsx were difficult to 'fake', especially th activation one.

They are also quite important for editing and software development software to work. For ADE, and the FSX-SDK for example.

Btw, if you are talking about FSX Steam edition, then moving it to another pc is easier. Steam has an inbuilt utility to help you do that.

The part you are missing is that FSX itself doesn’t need any registry entries to run. Those are only there to tell third party add-one and applications where to find the sim. If you move the sim you can use the Flight1 Registry Repair tool to fix or create the entries.

Microsoft’s Product Activation is separate from the registry issue. If an application that uses Product Activation detects that the hardware has changed since it was first activated, it should simply ask to be reactivated.

Ok. I thing I know where I go astray. I am looking at the situation where it's someone copying a friends folder, then trying to get that activated without a code.

That's a different situation, and I'm mixing up the two.

The warning about payware scenery and planes still stands though. Those registry entry's are usually not fixable easily. If possible you'll probably need some assistance from the vendor. Uninstalling before, Reinstalling the payware after move is easiest I think.

About activation of fsx. I remember people reporting they had problem using the file "activate.exe" to do that. I think some ended up having to call microsoft to get it done. Not sure.

Question for loki:

does the flight1

tool also make fsx appear in the "Add/Remove programs" list?

(I'm thinking I'd better ask dumb questions now then say wrong things next time. Sorry for cutting into your thread a bit.)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Archived