How to minimize ...

mabe5454

I installed this A/C "dw_cpz_emb-170.zip" found in the library here.

The nose wheel has an atrocious swing. I know how to control the range of the nose in the Contact Points but I need to reduce the nose gear swing motion which is excessive. I suspect is hidden in the *.air file. Also, probably the A/C comes from FS9 or even FS2002 originally.

Any ideas?

Cheers,

What is nose wheel "swing"??

If you install it, taxi around at moderate speed (15 knots) and go max left or right and center again. You would see an even slight delay. There is no precision whatsoever. Going slower is not a fix but restriction. Maybe that was the idea originally to control speed. Hard to explain unless you play with it.

Cheers,

I use autorudder because I have no twist rudder on my joystick. It was a little sluggish tilting the joystick but seemed more responsive using the programmed buttons for rudder control.

Slow down to 12 knots taxi speed. What do you expect from a freeware offering?

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

For those models (it's not a sim problem) you compensate by adding 'differential braking' in your (brake) section of aircraft cfg. Without diff braking 'controled' turning is very hard to pull off. Add a little throttle to compensate for increased braking. Takes a little practice. Use locked spot view to check for 'effect' and to check tracking of nose wheel on yellow line. I have spent gillions of hours doing 'taxi & turn' exercises over the last 12 years. Of course the position (lon) of wheel in cnt pts DOES make a difference. Add a light at lon pos to adjust.

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

I had also learned over the years to control steering with the external means at our disposal like the ones you mentioned. But I always wonder if there was an easy fix number here and/or there embed somewhere on the plane's config.

Thanks.

Cheers,

Hi mabe,

From your initial post I suspected that the inertial effects you experienced while taxiing seemed unrealistic. I installed the plane and taxiing seemed normal to me. I do have my realisms set at 85-90% as not being able to experience any "seat of the pants" feeling often resulted in over control problems. Perhaps I'm still not understanding the problem you're having but I can't think of anything else. Good luck in finding a solution.

Jim F.

'Realism' has no effect one way or another on taxi turns. If there is no differential braking in (brakes) section of aircraft cfg you need to ADD IT. You have to LOOK if it's there. The line is 'differential_braking_scale= 1.000'. Without it I have hard time steering EFFECTIVELY. If braking scale is '=1.000' and the braking STRENGTH is too strong then you can reduce diff to '=0.800' or '=0.600'. There is no other place (other than model) to tweak this aspect. But like I said, you can run on grass to see dust kicked up while in locked spot view to gauge where the nose wheel CONTACT POINT is located. Go from there.

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

Boeing 737-800 MS-Default

[brakes]

parking_brake = 1 //Parking brake available

toe_brakes_scale = 0.885 //Brake scalar

auto_brakes = 4

hydraulic_system_scalar = 1 //On brakes dependant on the hydraulic system, ratio hyd system to max brake hyd pressure

Embraer 170 DW

[brakes]

parking_brake=1 //Parking brake available

toe_brakes_scale=0.885 //Brake scalar

auto_brakes=4

The EMB is the same but little.

"differential_braking_scale" = "Douglas DC-3( differential_braking_scale = 1.0 )" These A/C's don't need it they are not taildraggers.

I've forgotten where this problem comes from, the past, when some control purist imposed this artifact so the users wouldn't overspeed during taxi.

Case closed, for now.

Quote: 'Case close...for now'. That is what Aces team said back when. HA!

Just because there is no differential braking line in cfg does not make it 'right'. IOW MS left it out because they missed a lot of details. Both in the cfg and air. And the braking strength of '=0.885' does NOT make THAT 'right'. It's bogus. You don't have less than '1' for braking - that is c--p! Case closed my foot. Care to go through the aircraft cfg of just those 3 airplanes you mention and see what happens? Just because they are payware or default would make no difference. Wrong is wrong! You don't compensate in cfg for excesses in air file. That is bad mechanics. Case closed my foot!

Chuck B

Napamule

Archived