Windowed -vs- Full Screen

Allen Craig

Exellent! Do you have fps set to unlimited? Does your 7750 have 1 or 2 G ram (model number please). Thanks. I NEED this card. Been debating and putting it off. Now is now.

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

I was following an aircraft with TVB and the screen jerked every now and again, I used the 'View' command and got the small screen showing the aircraft, I resized it and the jerking stopped plus the picture was a lot sharper, so I stayed on that screen.

Hi,

This difference also depends on the screen resolution used on your Windows Desktop (used in Windowed mode) and the resolution set in the Options/Settings/Display/Hardware screen (which is used in Full Screen mode). If quite different from each other, this can lead to frame rate differences.

That said, I have had computers where one mode or the other was clearly higher in frame rate, no matter the relative resolutions.

Hope this helps,

Tom Gibson

CalClassic Propliner Page: http://www.calclassic.com

The major difference is that full screen is "hardware mode" (graphics handled by vid card) and windowed is "software mode" (graphics handled by CPU); so image quality and frame rate differences between the two modes will vary greatly from system to system. One reason for using windowed mode is that you can safely alt+tab out of it, many games will crash if you attempt to alt+tab from full screen.

If you like running windowed better but do not like the visible title bar and frames there are utilities such as Game Companion that remove them, giving you a full screen window. (Haven't tried it with FS9 but it worked with Oblivion.)

I don't know about 'Alt+Tab' but I switch to/from full or windowed mode using 'Alt+Enter'.

I have flight sim res set to the monitor res. The monitor res is what should take preference or priority and then set both to the SAME res.

I can fly and/or record in windowed mode all day. I notice no frame rate difference (using Fraps counter). I resize to 'almost' full screen size. Any recorded video is edited in Sony Vegas 11 and the top menu or red text and the bottom 'brake' or FSRecorder counter can be cropped and 'removed' from video.

I don't know how 'correct' this is but I can be in full or windowed, do FSrecorder instant replay, have FSRecorder rendering the instant replay (but with no sound) and then record all of that with Fraps so I can capture sound (which matches rendered wmv). Yummy!

Chuck B

Napamule

Edit: Allen, there is NO AMD 5570 with 4 gb memory (that is why a model number would help). There is 1 gb and 2 gb models as far as google & amazon. Which is it? Thanks.

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

I always used Full Screen Mode, for years and years... then I found that I needed to click on certain third party software windows on my 2nd. monitor: doing this always minimised FS9, on my main screen, to the taskbar.

So I started using windowed mode about 6 months back, in conjunction with the neat little programme for FS9 and FSX called 'FS-SIMtimizer' (freeware download - never heard of 'Game Companion before but I suppose it's a similar idea), which reduces the 'frame' around FS in windowed mode to one pixel (no visible difference in practice from full screen mode if you auto-hide the menu bar).

In FSX I'd always found that 'FS-SIMtimizer' and windowed mode reduced the stability of my sim - wobbly clouds as I panned and so on. But in FS9 it works like a charm. My frame rates are the same as in full screen mode, as is the stability of the graphics (always rock solid, no matter how fast I pan in spot view).

As has been said above, it may not work quite so well for you, too many variations in PC specs to be sure - but there again... Worth a try at least.

Martin

*** NO AMD 5570 with 4 gb memory***

You might note that 4Gig was on the line BELOW AMD 5570

I was NOT connecting the two

4Gig is system memory

Manufacturer - ATI

Model - AMD Radeon HD 5570

GPU - Redwood

Device ID - 1002-68D9

If I running FS9 (or FSX) and get stuck when running 3 programs I do 'Ctrl+Alt+Del' which opens task manager. I then look at running applications, and RIGHT CLICK on FS9 (or FSX) and choose 'bring to front' and I am back in business. I never have been able to use 'Alt+Tab' to switch- doesn't work for me.

Allen: I still can't 'tell' if your GPU has 1 gb, 2gb or 4 gb. That is what I was asking. They DON'T make a 5570 with 4 gb video ram I found out. So that amount is null & void. But it's really not important. If they DID make a 5570 with 4 gb and with 2 gb I know I would always choose the card with 2 gb. 'Why' might intrigue you. Price? Performance? Google it?

Chuck B

Napamule

Google 'Why' .... or do not Google 'Why' .... (ie: Why Not Google 'Why Not').... . :)

Archived