CH Products pedals

Have you ever heard or had your pedals short out?

I seem to have this issue where when I'm on the ground taxing sometimes my computer will freeze. I hear a load pop in the speakers when it happens. It doesn't happen all the time however, but it does happen when I'm always taxing and that's when I'm using the pedals. I'm suspecting hardware because with this occurring twice now, every time I check the error log nothing is there. Plus, when I press the reset button on the computer it won't reset. I have to press and hold the power button to restart the computer. It's a total freeze up. I can't minimize or anything. I'm going to buy a USB power meter and see if I can detect this. So for right now I'm thinking it's either the pedals or the weather engine Active Sky Evolution doing this. Or perhaps it's that cluster F of the software for the FSDreamTeam & Flight Beam software. It has that module I'm not too impressed with that activates it. In fact, when I updated it every once in a while when I'm on the ground I get a message stating GSX isn't installed and the damn update installed a bunch of GSX crap which I don't need or asked for. I don't even use GSX! I turned off the module's update feature thinking that was causing issues.

Anyone else having freeze ups due to pedals?

Guest lavochkin

I have used Ch Products Pedals for years and never seen that. GSX is an upgrade to windows 10?

Have you tried a different USB port on your computer? Good luck.

I have used Ch Products Pedals for years and never seen that. GSX is an upgrade to windows 10?

Have you tried a different USB port on your computer? Good luck.

+1.

I also would ask how many USB powered items are running off your computer at a time? Also do you use a powered USB port adapter? ? ?

Too many USB ported items running at a time will drag your motherboard voltage down and cause all kinds of problems, including burning up expensive hardware. Low motherboard voltage equals excess amperage per watt required which equals excess heat!

I strongly suggest anyone using more than say two USB devices at a time spend $10 or so and buy a powered USB port adapter! That's what I call cheap hardware insurance!

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

I'm using most of the allotted back panel USB ports. There should be enough amperage. This is a new motherboard a GIGABYTE AORUS GA-Z270X-Gaming K7. I would think that the biggest consumers of amps is just the pedals and the yoke. The other two devices I have connected are the small USB dongle for the wireless keyboard and mouse and a Bluetooth small dongle. Those two probably consume no more than 200 mA total. I will look in device manager and see what the amp consumption is though, but I really don't think this is my issue. If it was, I'd get a lot more trouble then just the occasional freeze up on the ground.

I understand you use the pedals for ground taxi and that is when the problem occurs, but to help verify it is a pedal problem why not try a flight and use the pedals extensively in the air? If they are shorting out as you suspect, the problem should reproduce while airborne. The pedals don't know when you are taxiing or not.

It's either one of two things: the pedals or Active Sky Evolution. I never had this trouble before and the only things I added were an update to FSDreamTeam and added that weather engine. The only reason why I think it might be the pedals is the lack of an error log and that sharp pop I hear in the speakers upon freeze up, and the fact I can't use my reset button on the computer.

Yesterday I made a successful landing and taxi to parking without a system freeze. It's only happened twice so far, but each time it was on the ground. Doesn't seem to be airport related either since when it first happened I was at North Platte NE and I never upgraded that basic airport. Really no need. The other time it happened is when I went into Chicago O'hare which is an upgraded airport I got from the library here.

What I think I should do is stop using the weather engine for a while and see what happens. I can only rule out the pedals with a USB power meter I intend on buying. I can't fly with just rudder pedals...

Archived