migration tool is out

alexzar14

use with care ESPECIALLY with P3Dv4 unless you enjoy rebuilding your system.

We will not discuss the legality of using it.

http://www.simgazine.com/how-not-to-mess-up-a-perfectly-good-prepare3d-installation-by-robert-randazzo/

Vic

P3D Rig

I7 7700K @ 5.0ghz Asus Maximus X270 16G G.Skill 3600 15-15-15-18 2T EVGARTX2080ti Corsair 1000W PSU 1TB Samsung SSD for P3D - 2 - 256G OCZ Vector SSD - HAF X - Corsiar H100i V2 Liquid Cooler W10 64 Pro.

Of course they are going to tell you it does not work. Do you think they want people finding out their addons will work before they have had a chance to suck them dry with a new, expensive V4 product? I have the migration tool. I Have used it on a few airports and planes. Seems to work fine.

That's a ridiculous statement. "THEY" have nothing to do with it. I would think "THEY" would encourage users to use it. This way, when they mess up their systems, THEY can charge more to fix them. Ridiculous.

Many people have used it with success in V3 and I personally have made a tidy sum restoring systems that have been completely trashed when it went wrong.

Does this mean that if you use it your system will die? Of course not BUT if something does go wrong, it goes very wrong.

P3Dv4 is even MORE critical to add on compatibility than 3, not only because it is 64bit but because they are tightening up the add on standards.

I'll say it again - if you LIKE playing russian roulette with your system - go for it.

Vic

P3D Rig

I7 7700K @ 5.0ghz Asus Maximus X270 16G G.Skill 3600 15-15-15-18 2T EVGARTX2080ti Corsair 1000W PSU 1TB Samsung SSD for P3D - 2 - 256G OCZ Vector SSD - HAF X - Corsiar H100i V2 Liquid Cooler W10 64 Pro.

The Migration Tool does NOT follow the v4 SDK conventions; it will not place your addons in the correct place; it does not supplant 64-bit compatible .dll's for the pre-existing 32-bit versions; it does not check for, or create, full compatibility for your addons.

Remind what its actual use is again?

Of course they are going to tell you it does not work. Do you think they want people finding out their addons will work before they have had a chance to suck them dry with a new, expensive V4 product? I have the migration tool. I Have used it on a few airports and planes. Seems to work fine.

For pmdg it cant work as their planes uses own dll/gauges which are 32 bit and will mot work in 64bit appplication. Same for all planes which uses compiled code, only pure xml gauges works

Odesláno z mého ALE-L21 pomocí Tapatalk

Somebody who intents to try it please inform of any success.

Interested to know about PMDG MD11, J41, LDS 767 primarily.

Addons that are incompatible because of 32bit DLLs cannot be just "made" to work. All that this migration tool does is play around with symlinks, registry keys and the renaming of files. You could do all of that by hand.

A more serious problem are the addons themselves. An installer from the old days, that is just made to run through these tricks, will read the P3D V4 config files incorrectly, because they have a different character encoding now. Then it will write this file still in the wrong encoding, and you run a very good chance that the config file is trashed afterwards - for example the scenery.cfg. This has already happened, with payware products at that, that were supposed to be V4 compatible! Furthermore, incompatible content, while visually maybe "working", will cause content errors in P3D V4. When enough of those add up, performance will degrade, and stuttering will be back.

Not only the tool is risky - the whole business of shoehorning old content into a new sim platform is.

Addons that are incompatible because of 32bit DLLs cannot be just "made" to work. All that this migration tool does is play around with symlinks, registry keys and the renaming of files. You could do all of that by hand.

A more serious problem are the addons themselves. An installer from the old days, that is just made to run through these tricks, will read the P3D V4 config files incorrectly, because they have a different character encoding now. Then it will write this file still in the wrong encoding, and you run a very good chance that the config file is trashed afterwards - for example the scenery.cfg. This has already happened, with payware products at that, that were supposed to be V4 compatible! Furthermore, incompatible content, while visually maybe "working", will cause content errors in P3D V4. When enough of those add up, performance will degrade, and stuttering will be back.

Not only the tool is risky - the whole business of shoehorning old content into a new sim platform is.

Thanks, Fine that's what it is, I figured so and installed FSX to run the plans I like to fly twice a month, J41 has been a problem in P3D anyway with half functioning autopilot and Coolsky was omitted all together. With aircraft being the priority, I don't mind how FSX looks (not bad with Orbx LCs, AS16/Clouds and UT2) and the planes being the older developments have less impact on VAS especially with DX10 fixer (don't expect OOMs). Therefore I don't see a reason struggling converting these planes to P3D. Airport sceneries will install only those I need before the flights.

It's like Playstation, PS4 is good but can't dismiss the PS3.

Thanks, Fine that's what it is, I figured so and installed FSX to run the plans I like to fly twice a month, J41 has been a problem in P3D anyway with half functioning autopilot and Coolsky was omitted all together. With aircraft being the priority, I don't mind how FSX looks (not bad with Orbx LCs, AS16/Clouds and UT2) and the planes being the older developments have less impact on VAS especially with DX10 fixer (don't expect OOMs). Therefore I don't see a reason struggling converting these planes to P3D. Airport sceneries will install only those I need before the flights.

It's like Playstation, PS4 is good but can't dismiss the PS3.

That is what I do too. I promised myself that this time I do right by the new simulator, and keep all "bad influence" away from it. The P3D content error log is invaluable for ensuring that.

Besides, no amount of "struggle" will make the MD-11 or J41 work in P3D V4. Only PMDG themselves could do that. The gauges and additional DLLs have to be adapted and recompiled to work with the new 64bit simulator - no two ways about it. No tool on this planet can bypass this technological truth.

Back in the day Microsoft had a "thunking" tool to take 16 bit DLLs and turn them into 32 bit DLLs. It worked quite well. I wonder if it could be enhanced to do 32 to 64 bit. Of course there is a lot more to consider. Before only x86 native binary was used, now a potential mixture of COM components and .NET components would need to be considered. But really not impossible, just a lot of work unless you have the original thunker.

This reminds me of when I was a little kid. I used to listen to my favorite radio shows every night. When my family said they were going to get a TV I was so excited! I believed that instead of listening to my favorite shows I could now see them because we had TV.

Just converting a dll to 64bit doesn't mean you can see your favorite radio show....

Vic

P3D Rig

That's a ridiculous statement. "THEY" have nothing to do with it. I would think "THEY" would encourage users to use it. This way, when they mess up their systems, THEY can charge more to fix them. Ridiculous.

Many people have used it with success in V3 and I personally have made a tidy sum restoring systems that have been completely trashed when it went wrong.

Does this mean that if you use it your system will die? Of course not BUT if something does go wrong, it goes very wrong.

P3Dv4 is even MORE critical to add on compatibility than 3, not only because it is 64bit but because they are tightening up the add on standards.

I'll say it again - if you LIKE playing russian roulette with your system - go for it.

Vic

First off, it works fine for some things. Second, anyone who needs to pay someone to fix their computer needs to take some classes and learn to do it themselves. I have been simming since 1986 and watched as developers nickel and dime you to death. Lets take captain sim. They took their 727 and even though it installed in to P3D just fine and all was working they made a new version and said you had to have it and made their older installer so you could not put it in p3d. I was not dumb enough to fall for that and had my old installer which works fine. That is just 1 example of how developers try and cheat people.

As a computer tech for over 30 years I understand that unless you want to play with vanilla flight sim you better be prepared to work on it and know what you are doing.

You may have the newbies fooled but this tool does work for some addons. I just used it to put the Realair duke in and it works wonderfully and completely. :)

Pay someone to work on my computer? LMAO!!!

But you can see the story so much better on the radio. What you see is only limited by your imagination. I have over 20,000 old-time radio shows stored away and I "see" a few of them on my iPod every night as I fall asleep. Great stuff..........
Intel 10700K @ 5.0 Ghz, Asus Maxumus XII Hero MB, Noctua NH-U12A Cooler, Corsair Vengence Pro 32GB 3200Mhz, Geforce RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, and other good stuff.

First off, it works fine for some things. Second, anyone who needs to pay someone to fix their computer needs to take some classes and learn to do it themselves. I have been simming since 1986 and watched as developers nickel and dime you to death. Lets take captain sim. They took their 727 and even though it installed in to P3D just fine and all was working they made a new version and said you had to have it and made their older installer so you could not put it in p3d. I was not dumb enough to fall for that and had my old installer which works fine. That is just 1 example of how developers try and cheat people.

As a computer tech for over 30 years I understand that unless you want to play with vanilla flight sim you better be prepared to work on it and know what you are doing.

You may have the newbies fooled but this tool does work for some addons. I just used it to put the Realair duke in and it works wonderfully and completely. :)

Pay someone to work on my computer? LMAO!!!

My guess is that with your attitude, you will be on this forum or another someday telling us that your P3D is totally screwed ,and wanting advice on how to fix it. Migration tool is a good way to screw up a install of P3D.

My guess is that with your attitude, you will be on this forum or another someday telling us that your P3D is totally screwed ,and wanting advice on how to fix it. Migration tool is a good way to screw up a install of P3D.

Well said...............

Intel 10700K @ 5.0 Ghz, Asus Maxumus XII Hero MB, Noctua NH-U12A Cooler, Corsair Vengence Pro 32GB 3200Mhz, Geforce RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, and other good stuff.

Snip the rant

While I know you must like living up to your name, your attitude will not be tolerated here. You have an opinion that differs - fine - present it in an intelligent manner - fine - present it with your attitude - not fine. Keep it up and you will be removed.

Vic

P3D Rig

Archived