Air-to-air refueling not easy

Definately the second hardest thing for a Navy pilot, that's for sure. The first being, of course, the famous "controlled crash", or trapping aboard a boat asea.

Midair refueling has it's own stresses and dangers though.

The worst danger is the chance that the basket can get ripped off the hose, as you can see. What you can't see, is the spray of fuel filling the cockpit with a fine mist of kerosene. It gets sucked in through the cockpit pressurization/ventilation system. The pilot has to be quick to go to 100% O2, and dump the cockpit air fast, or he/they can be in real trouble. Still darned uncomfortable, getting sprayed with a mist of kerosene, covering every exposed part of your body! Then, they have to back away and slide aside, and the whole time, they have the basket stuck on their refueling probe. And they better hope there's a divert close enough for them to make before they're dry. With the extra drag and speed limitations of the basket holding the probe open. It's that or become a member of the Martin/Baker club.

The Airforce doesn't use baskets like the Navy/MC does, but I'll wager they have their own dangers.

Even just the refueling is hard enough. Flying that tight a formation on another bird isn't easy! Now do it at night. Maybe in low viz and/or bad weather. Never a dull moment.

Thanks for the link, John. I appreciate it! Here's to every airman who's done this sort of thing. I raise you a glass (milk is the best I can do, I'm afraid :D ).

Have fun all!

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

Thanks for adding your insight. I am extremely impressed by the skills required to do this, and I am surprised there are not many accidents - but then maybe they are not publicized.

I am doing a Whiskey Sour - have one with me!

and I am surprised there are not many accidents

There are some, but they are few. Keep in mind the level of training needed to get into those aircraft in the first place, as well as the other selection criteria for the pilots (and in the Air Force, for the boom operator). And they're all very much aware of how dangerous it is.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

Archived