Flight Lessons

Nels_Anderson

• Founder

OK, so I already know how to fly, but I don't know how to fly this particular sim so I figured some flight lessons would help me learn my way around. The initial lessons are actually pretty good. The cover the basics: take off, climb, straight and level, turns, etc.

All was well until I got to the landings lesson. The overconfident instructor insures me I've already learned everything necessary but after half a dozen tries I've been unable to finish. There seem to be some glitches here. The keyboard controls for flaps don't seem to do anything, but the instructor operates the flaps after a while. If you follow the instructions you end up low. I kept the throttle up a bit more than instructed but on final the instructor is asking for 50 mph but having held that successfully on short final I'm told I'm too slow and the lesson aborts. Flying at 55 seems to work but I still can't seem to pull off an actual landing.

I question using the Piper Cub for training. The non-standard panel was an issue for me since I had to search around for the instruments. I suppose a true newcomer wouldn't have this problem since they'd have no expectations on where the instruments are. It is kind of a twitchy plane though, I think the nice stable Cherokee 180 would have been a better choice. I tried that in free flight and was successful landing it on my first try.

So was it only your experience while in the lessons or is the Piper Cub not so flyable in free Flight also? The FSX Piper Cub seemed to handle quite nicely for some of the tutorials except for the Loopy Larry Mission.

I was watching the live video cast by Drawyergames and I wasn't too impressed with what he was showing.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

• Founder
I was watching the live stream too, and he had the same problems I did with the landing lesson. I'm going to go fire up FSW right now and try it some more. Have not tried the Cub in free flight yet so I'll have to see if I can land it without the instructor's "help" :-)

Further to my pitch in at Skardu... I did hit F8 to lower flaps prior to my take-off attempt but that could explain why I crashed (other than my own stupidity) if they hadn't actually deployed and I was trying to get off this high altitude field with a cleaned up airframe.
Vern.

I'm still looking to set the parking brakes. Ctrl + . ain't it. It looks better than School no question about it. I did my first landing and it was accepted (recognized) by the System as such on the 11th of May. I couldn't make the AP-Alt to work but the AP-HDG did. The ILS was functioning as set by the radio but I flew the landing manually. I landed hard by the sound of it but in one piece.

When I started to compare it with FSX I recognized the signs it was time to Ctrl + C before hatred set it. I'll give it more time than I did with School.

Pls keep the discoveries open in this thread, maybe we can redeem it yet.

Cheers,

• Founder
Of course the original Piper Cub did not have flaps.

That's true, but the plane in FSW is a Super Cub, which does have flaps. That threw me for a moment too but they do in fact have it correct.

One thing I have learned after spending time with the lessons is that something is wrong with the instructor's reading of air speed. In the landing lesson he wants you at 55 during final but if you're less than about 60 he nags you for being too slow. I found similar problems on other lessons; you need to be about 10% above the speed the instructor is asking for or he'll nag you for being too slow.

Archived