Permission

First, did you disable UAC, to "take control" ?

i7-4790K @4400 on Gigabyte Z97X (16gb), GeForce GTX 970 OC, Corsair Spec case

Win7 Ult(64) on Samsung850 SSD(256), FSX+Accell on Samsung850 SSD(256), Track IR5

Saitek yoke/rudder radio/multi/switch panels, Logitech G13, GMap on Samsung tab

I've always turned my UAC settings right down. It just nags the whole time it is on to prevent users from getting their fingers burnt. I have never had a problem with it in my Windows 7, 8.1 & Windows 10.

Actually, there are developers that actually recommend turning it off.

So, turn it off, & run as Admin. All will be good! :-)

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

Thanks all

UAC is off

I had to establish control (jump through hoops) to delete each folder

and there were over 100

WHEW!!

Woulda been nice to simply highlight all folders and click delete

but that wasn't gonna happen

Hi Allen,

An option is to take 'ownership' of the file or folder(s). To take ownership you have to change the security permissions/settings for the file/folder. Google the phrase 'how to take ownership of a file in windows 7' (without the quotation marks) to find numerous guides on how to do it.....

A caveat here - be sure that the files to be changed/deleted are not essential system/program files. Changing the permission settings/deletion of such files may cause issues.....

Regards

Brian

Installing outside "program files" and "program files (x86)" is the bes option.

Taking ownership is irreversible. You can't give back ownership to the system admin account afterwards. And it can cause issues.

Uac prevents files that are owned by the system account from getting changed by something untoward.

Any program you run will run with your permissions. Your user account, or your admin account.

That means that what you run, can only change files you own.

A file that is owned by the system will at least block this, and give a popup saying: "are you sure?"

If the program you just started iss something you know is safe, you could choose to click agree.

And if you get a message:

Program: "something you never heard of"--is trying to change a file in C:Windows\System32

You have the option of saying: NO! don't do that!

Or for example: Program: X-is trying to change a file in C:\program Files\Norton360

You also have the option of saying NO.

A good idea in those cases, as something that you don't know, and that coud be a virus trying to cause damage, is trying possibly to damage your system files or virus scanner.

By all means, do NOT take ownership of important stuff like that. Definitely not of the Whole C:\Program files or Program Files (x86) folders, or more even.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Using 'TakeOwnershipEx' (free program) will simplify taking ownership of any folder / files. And it also allows you to 'Restore' ownership of said folder / files.

The download is zip file containing 2 '*.exe' installers. One is for Win 7 and the other is for Win 8, 8.1 and 10.

Google to get 'How To' guides, and info, concerning permissions and ownership.

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

Archived