New Member wanting to get started

Guest iManny99

Guest iManny99

Hi everyone,

I'm a new member from Michigan, USA looking to get back into flight sims. I still have an old saitek joystick and throttle I used several years ago for flight simulator x. For the past 5/6 years, I've only being doing racing simulation (mostly iracing). I had water in my basement requiring that I dismantle my racing setup. I'm getting ready to rebuild a simulation rig using 8020 aluminium profile. I figure while doing this build, I should make it dual purpose for racing sim and flight sim. I currently use a triple monitor setup for racing plus 2 more monitors (one for telemetry and the other for streaming) and a usb monitor for the dashboard. My plan is to have a quick change system (might not be very quick) to change steering wheel to yoke and other needed accesories.

One question I have everyone is, about the computer to run the sim. My current PC has an i7 4790K and a gtx 980ti hybrid. I have another system with a xeon e5-2670. Would the flight sims (an all the apps that need to run in the background) benefit from the extra cores (8 cores, 16 threads) or the xeon, albeit at a significantly lower clock speed?

Also, what would be good yoke/rudder that won't break the bank? I hope to eventually add all the instrument panels and an overhead panel too.

Thanks for the replies.

You got the perfect match for FSX with your i7-4790K & GTX980 rig.

As for controls, I use Saitek yoke(quadrant) and rudders for the last 7 years

with an average of 15-20 hrs per week and, with little care, they still solid and

potentiometers accurate. After warranty expired, I did the "release" mod on

the yoke, getting rid of the tension of yoke re-centering(never saw that in real !)

and release half the tension of push-pull. More real and probably extend yoke's life.

i7-4790K @4400 on Gigabyte Z97X (16gb), GeForce GTX 970 OC, Corsair Spec case

Win7 Ult(64) on Samsung850 SSD(256), FSX+Accell on Samsung850 SSD(256), Track IR5

Saitek yoke/rudder radio/multi/switch panels, Logitech G13, GMap on Samsung tab

Archived