fsx missions

jamesjsmith

Hi. I have a problem with some of the fsx missions some of them load and then the first officer starts speaking and some of them just load and nothing happens the first officer doesn't say anything and theres no mission pointer does anybody have any suggestions.

OK, gotcha! Now comes the silly question........Did you by any small stretch of the imagination delete any default aircraft? That will totally screw up any Mission and it basically makes that Mission a "Free Flight" instead. That accounts for missing copilot talking and no Mission compass.

Keep in mind that these Missions will use default aircraft as AI.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

no I didn't delete any default planes and when I press the Esc key it exit's as a free flight

OK, that was gonna be my next question. It does think you are flying a free flight and not a mission. Let me take a quick look at a couple of these Missions, since I don't have all of the ones you have. You be missin' sumptin!

Just in the "Flour Power" Mission

veh_water_yacht_280ft_small

Robinson R22 paint 2

Grumman Goose G21A paint 5

water_diveboat_sm

Floating docks as targets

Missing any of these things blows the Mission outta the water and makes it a Free Flight.

Maybe not deleted default aircraft but just not in the SimObjects/Aircraft/Rotorcraft/Boat folder.

Hi james,

This may help identify the problem. If you're familiar enough with FSX and can locate "FSX.cfg" add the following to either the beginning or end of the file;

[DEBUG]

ReportLoadErrors=1

If you're not sure how to edit the file ask here for further assistance.

Jim F.

I had to download a ai mig-21

So.....you were missing an AI aircraft! I will almost 100% guarantee that's what's wrong with your other Missions.

Introduction to Soaring doesn't call for AI but it does use the default Maule for a tow-plane.

but I still have the default maule I didn't delete any default objects or planes from fsx.

Does EVERY default aircraft appear on the Aircraft Selection page? I'm not considering any without panels (like in my case the Maule, MD-80, and the Goose) since in my version of FSX these are for AI use.

I understand that you didn't delete any default aircraft, but I'm thinking some are "Missing in action".

Well, (deep subject!) the only other thing I can suggest is to go to each of the non-working Missions in the Missions folder and open the .FLT file (use notepad). Check each of the [sim.0] this is the aircraft you fly in the Mission and each [sim.xxxx] which is AI aircraft or other Simobject in the Mission. Make sure they are in your SimOjects folder.

The only other thing left is to do a Repair. I highly don't recommend this at this time!

Hi,

Nothing much to add that might be helpful but I did some checking. I was curious if my "Debug" suggestion would detect a missing aircraft so I moved the Maule to the desktop and tried the Soaring mission. Debug didn't detect this and the mission started fine. Everything worked until I called for the tow plane and the mission did not fail but nothing happened past that point.

Jim F.

Hi,

Nothing much to add that might be helpful but I did some checking. I was curious if my "Debug" suggestion would detect a missing aircraft so I moved the Maule to the desktop and tried the Soaring mission. Debug didn't detect this and the mission started fine. Everything worked until I called for the tow plane and the mission did not fail but nothing happened past that point.

Jim F.

Hey Jim! With the missing Maule, did it still act like a Mission and did you still here the verbal instructions and did it end like a Mission when you hit Escape to end it?

I'm pretty sure a mission can't find an aircraft if you:

-renamed the aircraft's folder,

-or changed the "title=" line of the aircraft in th aircraft.cfg file in the folder,

-or, possibly also if yo renamed the aircraft's texture folder/ or changed default paints for other paints.

-or, possibly even if you still have the title= line, the paint, but changed the numbering in the aircraft.cfg file.

(Not sure on the last two causes.)

The mission finds the aircraft needed by finding an aircraft with these parameters.

Same for saved flights. If you use a paint in a flight, save, change the title= / folder name, then loading the saved flight, loading will fail You get an error message about a missing aircraft. After that a saved flight will usually load, but with the default ultralight instead of the aircraft you intended. (possibly because the ultralight is the default aircraft in my "free flight" menu when starting fsx.)

I must admit I don't fly missions much, so I haven't looked into this in detail.

Do you get any error messages when loading a mission?

Did you move planes to another drive/folder, then add that to the fsx.cfg file so fsx is aware of the folder?

Anything else "not as default" in your planes setup?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hey zip,

Everything seemed normal; verbal instructions and added scenery objects. The mission did not fail when I called for the Maule just nothing more happened. I'll check again but I'm pretty sure that Esc acted normally.

Thanks! I just tried it myself and the Maule had no affect on the Mission status other than no tow plane! Time to scour that .FLT again.

Hi,

I see that il88 has posted since my last and haven't read it thoroughly.

I again moved the Maule to the desk top and restarted the mission twice. No error reported, just nothing happens after the tow request. The first time I started the mission I waited until the audio was over so I didn't know if that would indicate some mission stoppage at that point so I restarted and called for the tow prior to the audio completion and no change. No errors, just no further mission progress.

Archived