EZ Scenery File Locations

jrog

EZ Scenery is a very valuable program but the developers were a little short with documentation. No where is there information on the location of the object files or how to place second party object files in a path where EZ Scenery can find them. What is the path for object files and surely you can't put 100 mysteriously named BGL files in the \flight simulator\addon scenery\scenery\directory.

I installed Abacus EZ Libraries which contained LA.BGL. Where are these files stored? EZ Scenery can find them because they are listed so they are present.

Some of the third party EZ objects are plain BGL files and others contain Scenery and Texture directories. How are the Scenery and Texture type files installed?

Thank you,

jrog

Hi jrog,

You COULD put all the .bgl files from all of your scenery packages in the default Addon Scenery location but that makes it very difficult to control. IME the best way to treat ALL scenery object packages like EZ as individual items and install them into individual folders - for example EZ Scenery Library, ABC Scenery Objects, etc. These folders can be placed either in the default Addon scenery folder as you would other scenery OR placed somewhere else - you don't need to use the default Addon location. Most Addon scenery, with the exception of some payware packages, only need to be placed in an active and correctly formatted folder. By this, I mean the folder must be activated within FS2004 and must have a least a Scenery sub-folder, and if required, a Texture sub-folder.

WRT to individual Scenery and Texture files - Scenery related files (.bgl) must go into a Scenery sub-folder and Texture files (.bmp, .dds,) must go into a Texture sub-folder.

WRT to the location - As I mentioned earlier, you can store scenery inside or outside of the sim, as long as the folder structure is correctly formatted and activated. For example, these folders structures will work:

C:\My Addon Scenery\Scenery\

C:\My Addon Scenery\Object Libraries\EZ Scenery Library\Scenery\

C:\FS2004\Scenery Object Libs\EZ\Scenery\

BUT folders structed as these examples will NOT work:

C:\My Addon Scenery\

C:\My Addon Scenery\Object Libraries\EZ Scenery Library\

C:\FS2004\Scenery Object Libs\EZ\

The same applies when it comes to the texture files - they must be in a subfolder called Texture:

C:\My Addon Scenery\Texture\

C:\My Addon Scenery\Object Libraries\EZ Scenery Library\Texture\

C:\FS2004\Scenery Object Libs\EZ\Texture\

If you are into creating your own scenery, you can then import these files into any Object placement tool, such as Instant Scenery or Airport Design Editor, by simply pointing them to the files location.

WRT to installing addon scenery in general - For years I have installed as much as possible outside of the sim - I now have FSX but its a practice I started when using FS2004 and have continued to use ever since. I have NO files whatsoever in the default Addon Scenery location - NOTE however, if you chose to use an alternative location DO NOT delete this folder or its sub-folders, it will cause problems.

Over the years I have adopted a folder structure that suits my needs that splits various types of scenery into their own area.

Regards

Brian

Hi,

I usually keep my 3rd party library files in the Addon Scenery/Static Objects Library/scenery and /texture folders. It's a holdover from the Rwy12 days.

The EZ Scenery libraries are installed into the Addon Scenery/scenery and /texture folders by default. The BGL files start with AB_

LA.bgl is a default file, and found in the FS2004/Scenery/NAMW/scenery folder.

I just do searches in the main Scenery and the Addon Scenery folders - that usually finds almost all of them.

Keep in mind that LA.bgl is a "geo locked" BGL file and objects placed from that file will only show up in FS within the LA area.

Hope this helps,

Tom Gibson

CalClassic Propliner Page: http://www.calclassic.com

Hello Brian and thank you for the very detailed message about directory structures and needed folders.

Assume you have made a directory as indicated by your message. How do you point EZ Scenery to the newly created directory that is not in ADDON Scenery\Scenery. I have only four buttons: ADD; OPEN SCENERY; MORE and CLOSE.

Thank you for your help,

jrog

Brian; The part I didn't understand, and nowhere in EZ Scenery docs is it explained, is that you have to ADD AREA the object scenery area like any real scenery then it will appear in the EZ list. Unfortunately, when I tried this earlier it appeared but the object had a different name than the parent folder so I didn't recognize it. I have always felt the EZ Scenery was written by amateurs but because there was nothing else available is was popular anyway.

Thanks again for your help.

jrog

Archived