doubt about my perfomance

teteuvictor

hello,

I think that i have a good computer but my performance isn't too good.

My pc specs:

i7-6700 3.40GHz

GTX1070

16GB RAM 2300Mhz

1TB HD

230GB SSD 6gb/s

my fps outside the aircraft is above 60 frames on default scenary and on payware scenary like KMIA(LatinVFR) the fps stay around 30/25 frames, in VC of PMDG i had 30 frames and in payware scenary to much bigger i have 25/27 frames, i want to know if with mt specs i can increase the performance of my P3D like using a good tweaks or changing the setup of P3D.

I had my i7-6700k overclocked to 4.5 GHz. If you don't have the "k" model I believe you are getting about as much as you can. The big question is: Is the simulator running smoothly? If so, quit worrying about fps. I had mine professionally overclocked. you can burn up a processor if you don't know what you are doing.

hi, so, my p3d works smoothly but the fps is 30, not less, not more, in other words, if the scenery need a little more perfomance my fps will drop to 20/25 did u understandw? Do u recommends i buy a better processor more than 4.0GHz? will have a big difference than my processor? because i thinking about it to buy a i7-4790k or a i7-6700k

You are thinking like this was FSX. In P3D fps is not really important, it's whether or not the sim is smooth. I have my system locked at 20fps and it's perfectly smooth with almost all sliders maxed. If your system is smooth at 30 and if it drops to 20 when you add scenery AND it is STILL smooth - you are just fine.

Stop chasing FPS - turn the counter off and never look at it again. Tune your system to get perfectly smooth performance. You could have 100fps but if it's not smooth, it still sucks.

Vic

P3D Rig

I7 7700K @ 5.0ghz Asus Maximus X270 16G G.Skill 3600 15-15-15-18 2T EVGARTX2080ti Corsair 1000W PSU 1TB Samsung SSD for P3D - 2 - 256G OCZ Vector SSD - HAF X - Corsiar H100i V2 Liquid Cooler W10 64 Pro.

You are thinking like this was FSX. In P3D fps is not really important, it's whether or not the sim is smooth. I have my system locked at 20fps and it's perfectly smooth with almost all sliders maxed. If your system is smooth at 30 and if it drops to 20 when you add scenery AND it is STILL smooth - you are just fine.

Stop chasing FPS - turn the counter off and never look at it again. Tune your system to get perfectly smooth performance. You could have 100fps but if it's not smooth, it still sucks.

Vic

A point to ponder. Precisely what payware scenery have you installed? If it's not SPECIFICALLY for P3D `whatever` (why do people persist in NOT telling us what version?) then you probably should NOT have installed that.

List all addon sceneries...

the unique scenary that my frames drop a lot is KATL(ImagineSim), and the p3d isn't work smoothly with this scenary. But tks everyone for the reply and i'll turn off my frames and only think if my p3d is smoothly or not.

ImagineSim scenery is known for tanking fps. And for them denying it.

• 10 months later...

Vic

Hi VgBaron,

I have an almost identical setup to you I7, 7700, ASUS M4A89GTD PRO, GTX1080Ti, 16Gb, SSD. so we should be head to head on performace.

I can also hold my hand up and say I have been chasing FPS (which, as you quite correctly point out, are well over 40-50fps, but the sim is definitel NOT smooth). I have downgraded the realism features which shows an improvement in FPS, but not in the smoothness of the sim - further illustrating what you say.

I will now turn it off and now view it again!

However, could ou point me in the right direction for improving the smoothness?

I built the PC, but overclocking etc. is not my forte!

Any help or advice gratefully received.

Cheers

Dave

First thing I would do is lock your FPS at 20, turn OFF the FPS counter. No Vsync and no triple buffering.

Using nvidia control panel or inspector - leave AA alone

set anisotropic filtering to user/off

set it to 16x

power management to max performance

multi display to singe (even if you use two)

texture filtering negative LOD bias to clamp

texture filtering setting to high quality

in the P3D.CFG

Texture Bandwidth multiplier to 80

no affinity mask or AM=15 ( HT off in BIOS)

texture size exp either 8 or 9 - no higher

FFTF at 0.15

start there and set your sliders midway - now, depending on what you like visually - start increasing and decreasing. do not look at the FPS counter - just try to get the smoothest operation.

I'd start with a default a/c and stay away from ORBX California or Europe when testing.

Vic

P3D Rig

I7 7700K @ 5.0ghz Asus Maximus X270 16G G.Skill 3600 15-15-15-18 2T EVGARTX2080ti Corsair 1000W PSU 1TB Samsung SSD for P3D - 2 - 256G OCZ Vector SSD - HAF X - Corsiar H100i V2 Liquid Cooler W10 64 Pro.

Archived