FSX Deluxe and FSX Acceleration Expansion Pack Install on New PC w/Win 10

Beckanator

Forgive me; I've been away from my flight sim way too long. I dusted off my original MS FS, and FSX disks, CH Yoke, Throttle Quad and Rudder pedals, and that went without a hitch. I still have my original disks, so I decided I'd try an install on my new PC. (Dell XPS 8900/Win 10) It all went well until I tried to load the FSX Acceleration Pack. The product key in FAX Acceleration returned an ERROR CODE: 1-80004005. Okay, I solved that after some searching by editing my registry file, got the prompt to enter the code and after two attempts it took!

So, I was able to get the old original FSX up and running. I had a few crashes of FSX, which I suspect was from running dual monitors on a slightly underpowered graphics card that came with the new PC, but it all runs. (I set the monitors to one for now).

So, now my question is: If one is still in love with MS FSX, is STEAM the way to go? I had so many add-on aircraft, traffic, scenery and airport add-ons that made the experience "back in the day" "surreal." I see STEAM has many of these plugins going on, but the price for each one can add the bill up fast.

Being a "re-newbie" to flight sim, I'm stoked that I got everything working again on a brand new Win 10 PC, but I was wondering what the options are, as far as flight sims go? I love getting my hands on custom aircraft.

Being back is good!

FSX Accel Error Msg.jpg

No. Steam is the exact same as fsx accel.

Actually, fsx accel has the SDK (software development kit) as well. Steam does not.

You're better off with what you have now.

You can reinstall the addons you had in the past if you still have the licence codes.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

In fact Steam is not the exact same as boxed.

Steam has some of the FSX bugs fixed and was compiled with newer libraries than Boxed to take a little better use of modern hardware.

The small downside to that is there are a few older addons that do not work with Steam.

Most addons that work with Boxed do work with Steam.

Also note that you can have both versions on the same computer if you wish.

And while I dislike telling people to spend their money, Steam is often on sale for $5 making it a cheap experiment to compare it to Boxed.

Lastly, if you like to fly online Steam has updated that experience too.

peace,

the Bean

WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.

They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

... fsx accel has the SDK (software development kit) as well. Steam does not.

There are many Steam users who have downloaded the free P3D v1.4 SDK which works just fine with FSX, so this argument no longer holds water. :cool:

peace,

the Bean

WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.

They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

+1 what il88pp said.

I also recently came back from a void in flying. First thing I noticed was that a lot of the freeware developers that followed FS in the active growing stage of Microsoft development are now selling through vendors which adds a price overhead. Or they've their own add-on company and market through their own channel. Or sadly, they've died out.

Well I've been around since 2001 and haven't 'missed a beat'. Yet I don't have ANY payware. Some developers have retired (Bill Lyons, etc) but there are guys upgrading some of the 'old stuff' (like Mike Rooks and Bob Chicilo - enter their name in Search to be surprised at what's available- and it's all Free). I still fly FS2004 too. And I never have been able to 'catch up' (even though I play everyday (24/7) as I am retired now) so there is still a LOT of GOOD freeware out there. FltSimCom and Simviation are chuck full of files. All you need is time to download and to upgrade (as needed) and to tweak. Life is good.

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

Hey guys, thanks so much for all the replies and suggestions. I appreciate all your contributions!

I have been running into some issues with my W10 install with some various aircraft now, namely the 747 when I tried to free flight it. I put myself in San Juan on the active just to get going after hitting a few prop aircraft I was familiar with still. It plopped me in the drink, several times! I'm not sure if I can tweak anything to change that. I've seen others who posted that the add-ons can have undesirable effects on the program in W10.

I still have my "old" PC that is running XP still. It was a "hopped up" machine back in the day when I built it. (I do video work as well). I may just make it my designated flyer again. Hmm, decisions.

Thank you all again for the updates on what options are available.

Jeff aka "Beckanator"

No, Steam is not the way to go unless you want to take advantage of the really small advances listed above. Steam and Dovetail are working on a new simulator for 64-bit platforms, X-Plane is about to release v11, there's simply no reasons to spend even 5 bucks while the marketplace is in such a state of imminent flux.

The Steam delivery system is not intended to accommodate freeware, only provide instamnt delivery of payware (that goes through Steam). As an outside observer I would say it's a failure as only a handful of aftermarket developers have switched to Steam-based product delivery.

FSX Acceleration remains the platform of choice for most real simmers and as you already own it and have it installed, leave your focus there. Reinstall your old addons selectively, checking for updated installers and versions as you go, install them one at a time and start by creating the `must have` list of the the ones you can't be without - it tends to be a much shorter list with the benefit of distance from the overloaded installation of before.

FSX - development frozen

FSX:SE (Steam) same as FSX with Acceleration, modded (slightly) to run on more modern PC's. Development frozen

P3D - Probably upgraded about 8-10 times by now. Development ongoing, 64bit in the pipeline

DTG's sim - coming eventually 64bit

The Steam delivery system is for adding payware stuff prurchaed through the Steam Platform. Of course you can add freeware into the sim.

"FSX Acceleration remains the platform of choice for most real simmers " - VERY debateable!

What exactly is a 'real' simmer?

Using a highly modded FS2004 certainly does NOT make me an 'unreal' or lessor simmer than those who push buttons & 'auto pilot tubeliner flights, even if I drive cars & sail boats.

Still using a very modified FS2004 certainly does not make me NOT a real simmer.

Oh, We have also built up 'real' simulators, an Avro Shackleton & a MB326 twin seater, using an actual fuselage (MB326) & actual seats, yokes, throttle quadrants & pedals, using FS2004!!

So, FSX Acceleration is NOT always the platform of choice with most 'real' simmers.

Still using a very modified FS2004 certainly does not make me NOT a real simmer.

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

Archived