Qiuck Question...

KCD

How do you run FSX-SE without the constant Steam updates? I have no interest in Steam other than as the provider of FSX; can I disengage future Steam updates?

Launch in offline mode. You cannot easily disable updates under Steam. You can only defer them.

Officially, you can't stop the auto updates but you can stop updates to an installed game but not the Steam Client itself by using the following simple trick.......

As you will know when you install and then launch a new game for the first time it goes through an update and activation process. After that you can set the game to only update when it is launched - this will stop it automatically being updated when you visit the Steam website BUT it may update when the Steam Client starts. Therefore, only launch the game in offline mode so it cannot check for updates. The only downside to this is that any in game 'achievements/progress' will not be displayed until you actually sync the online/offline files by starting the client in online mode.

However, the default setting is for Steam to start in online mode automatically if there is an internet connection so you must change the settings so that it will always start in offline mode. You can only do so if the game is currently upto date with no pending updates due to download.

To set offline mode:

1. Start Steam online - IMPORTANT make sure the Remember my password box on the login window is checked.

2. Verify that all game files are completely updated - you can see the update status for a game under the Library section (when the game shows as 100% - Ready it is ready to be played in Offline Mode)

3. Launch the game you would like to play offline using the PLAY button located on the game info page to verify that there are no further updates to download -leave the Steam main page open in the background. Once the game has loaded shut down the game and return to the Steam page .

4. Go to Steam > Settings and uncheck the Don't save account credentials on this computer option.

5. Go to the Steam > Go Offline

6. Click Restart in Offline Mode to restart Steam in Offline Mode.

The steam client should now start automatically in offline mode although some games get a popup window offering the choice to start in online or offline mode.

Another option is to always start a FSX session with no internet connection available - the online/offline pop will normally appear in this instance with slightly different wording above the buttons

Regards

Brian

Updates insure job security for developers: if they didn't break applications by introducing bugs they'd need to find another job....

but seriously.... in the Steam Library window

Select Flight Simulator

Right-Click

Select "properties" at the bottom of the list

Select "update" tab in the new window

top option seems to be "Automatic Updates"

Select desired option...

I don't have it installed at the moment so I get no response:

My Skyrim responds with -

Yes, yes or yes with this game given priority. So the answer may very well be no.

Your experience may vary. There were instructions for playing FS offline so perhaps that will accomplish the same thing. It claims that it will disable updates as well as allowing play without reconnecting to Steam.

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=3160-agcb-2555

Hope this works for you.

Loyd

Hooked since FS4... now flying:

self-built i7-4790 at 4 GHz; GA-Z97X mobo; GTX 970; 16GB gskill;

quiet, fast and cool running.

Win 7/64: 840 EVO OS; 840 EVO (500G) game drive;

Win10/64: 850 EVO (500G) for OS and games

A few Flightsim videos on YouTube at CanyonCorners

Archived