Frustrated and ready to give up. Please help!

MikeN87

Hi everyone,

First let me tell you a little about me. I have been fooling around with flight sims since 2002. Both Microsoft and now X-Plane. I got my PPL this past April, and I absolutely love everything aviation. I have to say that, to me, flying a real plane is easier than flying a sim. I know that real world pilots use sims to keep there skills sharp, but up to now, I only get frustrated trying to set things up and get things to work right. Here's just one (and the latest) example. When I fly the Cessna in X-Plane, in cruise configuration, with no winds and trimmed for level flight, the plane slowly goes into a turn the right. I have a CH Products yoke, so I adjust the yaw trim to get rid of that turn, but then I notice the turn coordinator and the bubble is not centered. I have no idea why this happens, or how to correct it. Another problem I'm having is after I updated X-Plane on my Mac I can not bring down the menu on top. Frustrating to say the least.

I would even be willing to pay for a course or some kind of instruction to be able to use a sim to keep my skills sharp (sharper then not flying anyway)

Is there anywhere I could find such a course of training in central Jersey?

I thought about going to a real sim manufacturer, but I really don't have the space or the money for one of those systems

Not to take anything away from this forum, but just like we don't like to have lengthy, or detailed conversations using text messaging, I would prefer to speak directly with someone that can walk me through the many issue I seem to have.

If anyone know of some kind of class or one-to-one training, please help. I'm ready to give up with sims.

My advice is to get a desktop with Intel and a decent video card and go from there. A laptop is not going to make it, sorry to say. Good luck.

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

I'v heard often that planes in xplane are not stabile. Therefore not flying realistically.

Desktop or laptop wouldn't matter for that.

Not sure about the turn coordinator. Maybe with the trim set you end up crabbing or something(?)

i think for realistic simulation for training you would be better off with fsx, or even better yet, P3D.

Don't have Xplane myself btw. Just fsx. It's just what I heard.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I was told by Randy, a co-designer of X-Plane, that the computer I'm using would be just fine. (27" Mac 3.5 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1600MHz DDR3 Memory, NVIDIA Geforce GTX 789M 4098 MB.)

I tried to go to a Sim Convention at Bradley Int. Airport in CT., but couldn't make it. (too far away). I'm wondering if there are some clubs around, or something where I can speak to simmers and see what they are using and what they're doing with their equipment. Of course then I would have to find someone who wants to use a sim in the same way I what to, and not just as a game. So far It looks like my only option is to go to a sim manufacturer and buy a machine for my needs. But the obstacles taking that route is price and space, mostly space. Considering what I pay to fly a rented plane, the cost might be worth it. The space is the biggest issue.

I thought that there HAS to be at least a few people on this forum that want to (or do) use a sim for the same purpose as me. Its just a matter of connecting with the right people.

Thx for your input,

Mike

Hi Mike,

First, welcome to the forums.

WRT using a laptop - I, and so do many others, use a laptop with no problems.

WRT clubs - there are clubs out there that do what you want so doing so you will need to find out via your local press or a internet search if any are based in Jersey or relatively close to home .

Also worth considering is joining a VA (virtual airline) group. Again search the internet but also check the dedicated VA forum here at FlightSim - click on the forum button located below the main banner at the top of the page - the VA page is located under the General Interest section. Some VA's have a training/advice section.

Also take a look at the PC Pilot webpage - at http://www.pcpilot.net/ - this is a website associated with the PC Pilot magazine published by Key Publishing. The website has a dedicated section regarding forthcoming events that are held by Flight Simming groups so that may offer an avenue to find a group for you to join.

Finally, you have just missed a 'local' convention that takes place every year in the UK at the RAF Museum at RAF Cosford, Shropshire - see http://www.flightsimulatorshow.com/ for info. Its organised by the Justflight and details/tickets for the event are normally available on their website several months before it takes place - http://www.justflight.com/.

Regards

Brian

Try asking the X-plane question now in the X-plane forum here. I believe there is an issue with the flight modelling in some cases that leads to this. There are a couple of more more experienced X-plane users there that may be able to help you more.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

My advice is to get a desktop with Intel and a decent video card and go from there. A laptop is not going to make it, sorry to say. Good luck.

Chuck B

Napamule

Didn't see any mention of a laptop in the original post...

Thanks all for the info.

As a side note, I partitioned the hard drive on my Mac in order to have MSF running on windows using bootcamp. I started out using Microsoft but began to hear that X-Plane was better, especially on a Mac. But after using X-Plane, I have to say, I like Microsoft Fight Simulator better. I'm surprised that neither version has a Piper Cherokee, as a standard plane. A lot of people train on Pipers as well.

I'm not looking for a system that I can log time in, (although, that would be nice), but something that will at least keep me fresh and enjoy inplace of real world flying

Mike, There are tons of Cherokees available for MSFS, freeware and payware. Even the standard AI Cherokee that comes with MSFS can be made to fly, check the forum on this site as to how to do it. I have (FS9) a 140, 180 , and on up. I'm a private pilot, no longer active, but I love to fly these birds by the book. It can be done and it is fun! Good luck!!!

When I fly the Cessna in X-Plane, in cruise configuration, with no winds and trimmed for level flight, the plane slowly goes into a turn the right..

I bought X-Plane 10 last year but soon gave it away in disgust because some planes have no natural stability, and roll left or right no matter how carefully we trim them just as you described, and I went back to dear old FSX..:)

It's always been a longstanding issue with all the X-Plane series which they've never fixed as far as I know.

Here's what they say about it in their forum, pop over to see if they've fixed it yet-

"One of the longest and hottest debate subjects in X-Plane is its handling of directional stability, in particular, roll response to changes in engine power in prop airplanes. Many, including experienced pilots, have accused X-Plane aircraft models of being unrealistically unstable in roll.

X-Plane does not correctly model the yaw effects that in real life cover up the roll effect"

http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?showtopic=81200

PS- Get FSX and all your troubles will usually go away, it's by far the most popular flight sim in the known universe, and there are always far more people in the FSX forum here at Flightsim.com than in any other forum, and you can pick their brains.

But remember, FSX can be as easy or as hard as you want it to be, personally i like to just jump in the cockpit, slam open the throttle and I'm away..:)

PS- Get FSX and all your troubles will usually go away, it's by far the most popular flight sim in the known universe, and there are always far more people in the FSX forum here at Flightsim.com than in any other forum, and you can pick their brains.

But remember, FSX can be as easy or as hard as you want it to be, personally i like to just jump in the cockpit, slam open the throttle and I'm away..:)

Is FSX the same thing as Microsoft Flight Simulator X?

I started out on Microsoft in 2002 up to X. I learned a lot about flying, and it motivated me to get my license, but I never became proficient with it. I love real flying! It's so much easier. First off, I don't have to think about what button to press for the view I want. And then there was the computer glitches I experienced with slew mode, weather, and saved fights. It just never seemed to work right for me, and I always got frustrated with it. I would love to become proficient like you guys

I bought X-Plane because I heard a lot of good things about it, but was disappointed after using it. Thats why i Partitioned the hard drive on my Mac to run Bootcamp/ Windows/ Microsoft X

I tried X-Plane 9. Uninstalled it 1 hour after installing it. The user interface is a mess. The controller setup is much more complicated then it needs to be. This is not a very intuitive simulator. It is not new user friendly.

I also recommend FSX or P3D to new users.

Is FSX the same thing as Microsoft Flight Simulator X?

Yes, exactly the same. The 'X' stands for 10.

The latest version is FSX:SE, the 'SE' stands for 'Steam Edition' which is where everybody buys it from nowadays by download, it currently costs about 20 GB pounds (24 US dollars), check it out here-

http://store.steampowered.com/app/314160/

I love real flying! It's so much easier. First off, I don't have to think about what button to press for the view I want.

Just flip the joystick hat switch with your thumb to wherever you want to look.

I fly FSX dead easy by just waggling the joystick and throttle lever and making about half-a-dozen key presses for gear/flaps/internal/external views/trim which I've easily memorized, piece o' cake..:)

TIP- just have FUN throwing the planes around the sky at first in external view, don't worry about beacons and glide paths and stuff, you haven't lived til you've landed a 747 manually, purely by eyeball in external view..:)

KENNEDY- "She's flying it herself!"

HESTON- "Climb baby, climb!"

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/airport-75B_zpswmrygl75.jpg~original

Archived