Nimitz and RFN TACAN Problem

Ray Hff

I've installed uss_nimitz_ike_version2 and have it running in a loop around the Florida Keys.

Also, I've installed the RFN_Gauge_V421 for TACAN.

The TACAN lights up recognizing default aircraft carriers but I cannot seem to get it to work with the Nimitz. I've tried a wide range of frequencies with no luck.

And, one issue with the RFN Gauge -- I 'm uncertain as to where to locate the AICarriers folder. That might be my problem.

Any ideas you might have are appreciated.

And, one issue with the RFN Gauge -- I 'm uncertain as to where to locate the AICarriers folder. That might be my problem.

Any ideas you might have are appreciated.

FSX/SimObjects/Floatythings

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Well, I don't use the RFN gauges, but I DO use AICarriers (the newer, .NET version from Orion), and the Nimitz v2. Rather a lot do I use them. The AICarriers folder can go anywhere with FSX. P3D, it has to be in the main P3d folder. The boats, naturally, go in \FSX\Simobjects\Boats. The config files for AICarriers go in the conf.d folder in the main AICarrers folder.

I use the FSDT FSX BA F/A-18C v16.1, and sometimes the T-45 from Dino. The Hornet has a heavily updated HUD from Mr. Rusev, and the T-45 uses the last update to the HUD that Mr. Rusev put out. Both HUD work great with all the carriers I've tried them on, although the Hornet's is much better, IMO. Just more "realistic" to the real HUD actually used in the Hornets. They both work equally well for the TACAN and ILS for the carriers, although Paddles discovered that the glideslope is a little off. It lands you on the #4 wire, but you can just fly it a little low and hit the 3-wire every time.

Of course, if you use vLSO from Paddles, you will get gigged for flying below the glideslope, so you have to decide which is better, a small gig for flying low, but a nice 3-wire trap, or no gig, but a hit for trapping on the 4-wire. Those AI LSO's hate me anyway. they have it in for me, for some reason...

Anyway, no help on the RFN stuff. Sorry. Try the FSDT forums. There's been some posts about that RFN stuff fairly recently. I think in the vLSO thread.

Have fun!

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

Or 47X if your radio is TACAN capable :D

Like, just for example, the FSDT Hornet. Rockin bird!

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

I appreciate everyone's ideas.

The problem is definitely with my setup of the RFN TACAN Gauge setup.

The new HUD for the F-18 by Rusev works fine on 112.00; but with the RFN TACAN Gauge there's no recognition. The RFN does recognize default carriers at 111.00.

It's an interesting gauge and I hope to get it working.

For the RFN Gauge, I discovered that the "title=" line in the sim.cfg of the carrier must match the "Sim_Name=" line for that particular carrier in the gauges/RFN_Carrier.xml.

file. If that is true and the carrier is actually out there within 100 miles and you have tuned the assigned frequency (from the RFN_Carrier.xml file) the gauge will find it.

If it doesn't, you can change the frequency on the dial and then change it back. The refresh will usually make it find the carrier.

I originally placed the carrier at Key West using "carriertracks1and2". So I opened bgl file from "carriertracks1and2" and was able to determine that Nimitz class version CVN69_2 was used at Key West.

No such entry existed in my RFN_Carrier.xml file.

I modified one existing entry in the RFN_Carrier.xml to match CVN69_2.

The frequency now used is that which is set in the RFN_Carrier.xml file.

Everything now works well.

Archived