Cheyenne (KCYS) to Helena (KHLN)

A few days ago I flew from Cheyenne Regional Airport (KCYS) to Helena Regional Airport (KHLN) and what a flight it was. I have FTX Global Base and Active Sky 16 installed and flew in my trusty Lancair Legacy (Real Air Simulations). Thankfully, AS served up some beautiful weather. I used SkyVector to plan a VOR-VOR route (pic 1) but decided that there would be a couple of detours along the way.

01 - FlightPlanPic2.jpg

Route generated by SkyVector

02 - Navlog.jpg

The first detour would be when I reached CKW. Instead of following a track of 319º I would head out at about 300º in order to explore the mountains south of Yellowstone in thePopo Agie Wilderness Area. I planned to make my way north through the various canyons until I was close to COD.

The second detour would be after reaching COD and is shown in the pic 1 insert. Rather than climb to 12-13k I would stay as low as possible through the canyons. Exiting the mountains near Mission Field (KLVM) I would then pick up the original flight plan to KHLN.

The first hill I came across, not far out of KCYS, peaked at about 9k feet.

03 - First Hill.jpg

Things got bit higher at Medicine Bow Peak. I was skirting the edge at 11k feet, but, still very close to the ground.

04 - Medicine Bow Peak.jpg

Eventually I made it to the Popo Agie Wilderness Area and started investigating.

05 - Popoagie Wilderness.jpg

06 - Proper bumps.jpg

Bull Lake

07 - Bull Lake.jpg

Shoshone National Forest

08 - More hills.jpg

Oh look! Jellystone Regional (KCOD)

09 - Jellystone.jpg

Having made it to COD I aimed the nose of my plane at the canyon. Looks quite narrow. Cue the “Just like beggars canyon back home” thoughts. I wonder if there are any womp rats down there?

10 - Looks Narrow.jpg

TBC

Grim

Yep, it is quite narrow.

11 - Yep.jpg

12 - Beggars Canyon.jpg

Keeping it low.

13 - Next.jpg

Hmm, farms at 7k feet.

14 - Farms at 7k.jpg

Had to make some tight turns.

15 - Tight Turns.jpg

Made it out safe

16 - Safe.jpg

Nearly there. KHLN in the top left.

17 - Nearly there.jpg

18 - Final.jpg

19 - Touchdown.jpg

Time for a cuppa.

20 - Victory.jpg

Grim

Great Tour in a Great Plane!!

Thank you. It is a great plane. Just as happy being thrown around at low level as it is cruising on autopilot at 8-10k feet.

Very nice flight and some fine shots of it Justin. Interesting bit of flying through the canyon. :cool: :cool: :)

Thanks. The canyons were a lot of fun. :pilot:

Grim

Archived