RNAV Approach Height

Hi,

Last night I did a flight from KAHN to KATL using RNAV(first time). I set the altitude as 4000 as I was landing on RNAV 08L Z.

What is the AP turn off height? Also how do you slow down if its controlled by VNAV? turn it off mid way down the approach? I came in miles too fast 215knots and went off the runway completely.

Thanks

No matter what kind of approach you are using you should be setup for landing, wheels down, flaps in proper position and proper speed and I would have that done by at least 2-3 miles out. Unless you have autoland engaged, I would turn all A/P systems off and manually fly the landing.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

I would turn all A/P systems off and manually fly the landing.

I agree totally, and never do I fly an approach on AP. Remember, turning off the AP button doesn't turn off the autothrottle, or the yaw damper, which can restrict turns. Turn those off first, then the AP.

Read the approach plate for the airport. They usually have an RNAV landing, often in a PDF you can DL to reference as you fly.

Hope this may help a little...

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

You need to disengage the autopilot by the decision height which is listed on the airport approach charts (unless you are doing an auto land when you leave AP on). Use of the auto throttle depends on the aircraft, in most Airbus jets and the Boeing 777 it's left on all the way down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello,

It's been years since I last used Flight Simulator, but I still occasionally browse around on the websites. I saw your initial post on the side so thought I would sign up and give you my input.

In regards to conducting an RNAV approach, you can use the autopilot all the way down to the aircraft's Minimum Use Height (MUH), and on the 737-800 its 158ft which is often below the decision height of a CAT I approach. The exception to this is if you are conducting an autoland.

In regards to being to fast on the approach, I suggest configuring early and have a set plan. I can only speak for the 737-800, so with other aircraft it may not work. If you are using the 737, then have at least flap 1 by 10nm, then flap 5 shortly after. Try gear down and flap 15 at 5nm, then promptly start selecting 25, then landing flap 30 or 40. One thing to remember is when you select a greater flap setting match the speed in the MCP to the flap bug. Aim to be 200kts at 10nm, 190kts at 9nm, 180kts at 8nm, 170kts at 7nm, then 160kts at 6nm (or whatever flap 5 speed bug gives you).

Hope this help and good luck!

Kind regards,

JP

No matter what kind of approach you are using you should be setup for landing, wheels down, flaps in proper position and proper speed and I would have that done by at least 2-3 miles out. Unless you have autoland engaged, I would turn all A/P systems off and manually fly the landing.

^^^Yes sir! Typical technique is you do your FINAL configure for landing just before FAF about a mile or two. That way when you start decent to MDA or runway, you are on speed without a excessive decent rate. Not sure about VNAV coupled approach but my company requires AP off below MDA on non-precision approaches. I believe in the book it says AP off below DH, DA, MDA, and visual approaches without navigational guidance 1500' AFL.

Also how do you slow down if its controlled by VNAV? turn it off mid way down the approach? I came in miles too fast 215knots and went off the runway completely.

If it is the 737, there is button on the right side on the speed knob saying "SPD INTV", stands for Speed Intervention, once you press that button, you can adjust your speed with the knob normally and it will stay on VNAV.

If it is the 777, speed intervention is activated by clicking on the center of the knob itself.

http://www.crossed-flag-pins.com/animated-flag-gif/gifs/India_120-animated-flag-gifs.gifhttp://status.ivao.aero/414320.png

Archived