Lost Ability to Print Flight Log

My two printers work normally for everything - except FSX.

For years, I used the Flight Planner to create my flights. Then, when I rejuvenated my interest recently, I purchased FSCommander and do most of my flight planning from there. I *do* still use the FSX flight planner - don't know of any other way to get the flight plan into the GPS.

I even tried created the flight plan from the flight planner again. Nothing. When I click on the "print" button, nothing ever happens. Have I possibly accidentally set something in a config file somewhere that is inhibiting printing my flight log?

Art - N4PJ

Leesburg, FL

If I remember correctly, it has to do with your web browser. I think you need to be using Internet Explorer. I'm using Firefox and it sure doesn't print the flight log.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Okay, color me stupid! I use Chrome as my browser - and that gets me to the web.

The nav log is NOT on the web, it's in a folder on my PC. How does one "change" (or make Internet Explorer *think* I've changed!) the browser to have an impact on this issue?

If the thing could be sufficiently expanded, I would settle for a screen print, but that's a pretty cumbersome attack.

Art - N4PJ

Leesburg, FL

Found an additional workaround. Click on the NavLog (just to make certain that particular window has the focus. Then use CTRL + P and wait a couple of seconds. When the busy cursor disappears, it should be replaced with the print option - including printing on something other than the default printer.

We're back in the saddle again!

Art - N4PJ

Leesburg, FL

Saw a "tag line" the other day I really liked. It said:

"As a matter of fact, I *AM* a rocket scientist!"

But my all-time fave must still be:

"Stun, hell! Set phasers for deep fat fry!"

The NAV log is an HTM file and the kneeboard is a psuedo browser.

Another option would be to minimize the sim and go to the folder where your FSX.cfg is, C:\Users\your name\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX

There you will find the NAV log file and if you double click on it, it will open in your default browser. You should be able to print it from there.

Note that it might lose some of its formatting, all of the info will be there.

peace,

the Bean

WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.

They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

An alternative way. You can open the nav log in flight.

Menu-bar---Flights---Navigation log.

Then drag th mouse over the log from top left to bottom right. The text will be enclosed in a blue block.

Then press

(=copy)

Open a Open Office Writer document.

(Or a MS Word document, that will probably work as well.)

Then, in the document, press

(paste)

The whole log, including boxes, table and formatting, will be there. If the formatting is not correct, edit at will.

Then print from there.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

In view of the workaround I found (see post above) I find that (a) very cumbersome, but (b) workable. It's the editing part that becomes a mess. I've often copied something on the screen (typically in a web site where I found something of great interest) the same way and the editing process turns into a nightmare.

The smaller the content you want to "copy" in this manner, the better off you are. The typical nav log flight plan is two or more pages and the editing gets messy very quickly.

But it *is* another work around for M$ abandonement technique!

Art - N4PJ

Leesburg, FL

Followed that path on my PC. At the end of that line, there are no flight logs or flight plans. The fact I have my FSX installed in F:\ might have something to do with that.

Actually, in mine, it was C:\users\owner...not my name. Don't know if that makes a difference or not.

I had great success finally by starting FSX, opening the flight planner, loading the plan, then accessing the log either right from there or, later, but still via the Flight Planner. Once the actual Nav Log is shown (in the Flight Planner) CTRL + P starts the ball rolling nicely.

Accessing the Nav Log from the icon (the icon with the checkmark) and using CTRL + P does not seem to work - at least not on my PC/installation. Running FSX on WIN 7 64-bit.

Every once in a blue moon, the thing crashes, but, for the most part, it's been running quite nicely. My system is pretty much middle of the road - if I max out the scenery options my frame rates do suffer. If I keep everything down to a dull roar it works great. An extra $1,500 might left me run more density with better frame rates, but ......

Art - N4PJ

Leesburg, FL

Followed that path on my PC. At the end of that line, there are no flight logs or flight plans.

It is a dynamic file that is only there while the sim is running and you have an active filed flight plan. If you checked when the sim was off, it will not be there.

Capture.JPG

The fact I have my FSX installed in F:\ might have something to do with that.

It has nothing at all to do with it.

Actually, in mine, it was C:\users\owner...not my name. Don't know if that makes a difference or not.

Replace your name with the account name that you are currently logged into with.

peace,

the Bean

WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.

They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Tedious.. yes, making a flightplan takes some time. Good thing that, gives you a chance to double check and find mistakes.

The 'paste in .odt option does give lots of possiblilyiies though.

-Split table horizontally, to make sure each part prints on a new page. You don't want page breaks to happen in the middle of a Row of data when printing.

-Much easier to choose double sided printing.

-you can change the font and fontsize.

-you can change the font in one collumn only, so that data sticks out.

-or make text 'bold'.

-you can add a collumn, and split the Est/Act or the Leg/Rem collumns into two much more readable collumns.

-add a readable Header Row to your table.

----------------------------

The following plan I ediited as follows:

-split horizontally keeping header above section 2 as well.

Edited section two in 10 minutes so it:

-had everything in separate collumns,

-a good header to each collumn,

-a good header to the table,

-used "merge cells" to get rid of emty cells that were left.

This was a plan that was already in flight, and almost finished.

If not yoet departed all "Act" (stands for: "Actual") boxes would normally be empty, to be filled out by you (in pen) while flying.

Tedious? I call that fun.:D!! lol.

Happy flights,

il.:cool:

odt 2.JPG

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 10 months later...

You could save a shortcut to desktop. Then, right-click it, "open with", select "IE", and checkmark "always open with this program".

There is a program that prevents the nav log printing. Can't remember which one. Will try to.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Archived