Please need ideas on uninstall/reinstall FSX

Hello all:

Well, I find myself needing to uninstall and reinstall FSX after a run in with an add on. I have been simming for about 20 years over several platforms and I can't remember ever having to do this before. I have tried everything I could think of to salvage the current install but it just seems to be fatally corrupted. So here's my question: I know there is an uninstall function on Disc 1 of FSX and of course there is also Win 7 uninstall at the control panel. So which one should I use? Should I do anything else after the uninstall to clean it up?

Thanks in advance

http://support.precisionmanuals.com/kb/a87/how-to-uninstall-and-reinstall-fsx.aspx

This has always been highly recommended. Any thoughts on a REPAIR rather than the uninstall?

Yes. I ran repair three times and it was doing stuff but whatever it was doing didn't work. When I try to launch FSX the dialogue box pops up and says something like "Files are unavailable/bad" and closes FSX. I will probably try again but maybe I'll defrag before trying. BTW, I found a good thread right under my nose on this. https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?271827-How-To-Correctly-Uninstall-amp-Reinstall-FSX. Thanks for answering Mr. Z. I'll check PMDG and report back after the dust settles.

remove any add ons first. . preferably with their uninstal links but should work just swell with win 7. check for any add on folders left behind and remove

then win 7 uninstal via the control panel for fsx.

check that you have removed any folders again afterwards by performing a fsx search

also check in the app% roaming folder for any left behind definitions.

that should do you.. I have uninstallled reinstalled many time over the years and never had a problem

i did purchase recently a disk clean up software to help looking for left behind folders but manual search should be fine

Maybe I'm stating the obvious, but before you do an FSX uninstall, make copies of the following folders: AIRCRAFT, GAUGES, EFFECTS, and ADDON SCENERY (and scenery.cfg) and re-copy them back to the new install - this should save many hours trying to re-create them.

Of course, don't copy-back any RECENT add-ons you think may have caused the crash...

The error message may be referring to leftover files from the offending addon. Before going down the uninstall/reinstall route make sure that you have deleted it completely, including any registry entries. Download a registry cleaner such as CCleaner beforehand. Delete the addon, reboot and then run the cleaner. Once the cleaner has done its work, reboot and then try running FSX again.

Regards

Brian

Thanks much everyone. I will go get CCCleaner and be sure the addon is completely gone, then try to load FSX again. Also good ideas on saving copies of stuff. The PMDG information and the other link I found above also helped.

Thanks again and I will report back.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Jetline HellFire GT2 FSX PC, Win 7 Pro 64, FSX Gold Edition,P3DV3.1

Intel Core i7 a770K (4.3GHz Overclocked) Quad Core

Nvidia 1GB GeForce GTX 980,16GB Dual Channel lDDR3 SDRAM 1866MHz

1TB 7200 RPM Seagate HDD+ 60GB SSD Cache

Well, thanks for the help everyone. I completed the evolution and took my first flight yesterday. All is back to where it was before "the troubles". I managed to save everything as suggested above and that helped a lot to get back to the baseline.

Thanks again.

Archived