Is it OK to install FSX (Gold edition) on main SSD?

sunshy

Hello everybody,

Just got my new PC (i7-6700K, 16G RAM, Asus MAXIMUS VIII, MSI GTX770 4G Twin Frozer, Samsung 850 Pro Series MZ-7KE256BW 256GB SSD SATA III) and I would like to do a clean install of FSX.

I was trying to find in Google if it's recommended to install FSX on the main C: drive (the SSD with the operating system) but couldn't find a clear answer to that (BTW, I know that it is recommended to install FSX on its own directory and not in the program files directory).

From your experience, I'll bee happy to know what is your opinion about installing FSX on the main SSD.

Moreover, if you have any tips for a proper installation and tweaking it will be great

Thanks in advance,

Shy

I have a 256 gb ssd

that is C and Boot partition.

On it is Win7, all my progs, including fsx.

total used 110 gb

of which 40gb is fsx

there is also some fsx scenery installed in my second harddisk

second harddisk is a 1000gb HDD, with partitions D and E (and some unpartitioned space.)

on E is some scenery (FMX, is a mesh addon)

that can be used/activated in fsx easily. Scenery does not need to be on the main HD (SSD in this case).

There are lots of stories on the net saying fsx runs best on a separate hd.

But, those are written mostly in the days that harddisks were all mech drives.

When I looked into it when buying my ssd I found a trustworthy guy who had tested all combinations (I think that was user "Kosta", but I don't have the specific article handy.)

Any who, he tested all combinations. Same HDD, seperate HDD's, same SSD, Separate SSD's.

His conclusion.: In mech drives it makes a difference, With SSD's there is no measurable difference between separate SSD's or just one.

My situation, one SSD, and one HDD was also reviewed. There was little difference between os on one and fsx on the other, or just plunking both on the ssd.

So I plunked both on the ssd. OS and FSX.

Makes backups a lot easyer and faster too.

Making a system image (I use Acronis foir that) takes me only 12 minutes. And that then contains my whole C drive, OS, progs, and fsx. Quick safe and simple.

All my data, files pics, docs, and downloads, are on D and E. The mech drive.

So m backup routine is:

**System image of C and Boot files,

**copying everything on D, every folder, to external HDD,

**Same for E

That way even if the pc burns down, my files are safe on the external, and can be accessed from any pc.

(My windows is OEM, so images of the OS can only be restored to the same pc. Simple copied files can be accessed anywhere.)

I store no files on C. That is just for progs. I do the work on the desktop and that is C. But after I'm done the files are copied to D or E for safe keeping.

Same with downloads. Those I download to the desktop, then scan, and move to D.

Have fun with the new PC!

Enjoy,

il.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

here a handy guide that i was linked too just this week

very handy indeed! but mainly in this instance

"IMPORTANT - we do NOT recommended installing to the default file location in Windows Vista or Windows 7. (Program Files or Program Files (x86)) - Windows "protects" anything within these folders and has been shown to cause numerous problems with the install and configuration of addons. We recommend you pick a simple folder path outside of these folders such as C:\FSX"

http://support.precisionmanuals.com/kb/a87/how-to-uninstall-and-reinstall-fsx.aspx

Welcome to the forum(s). I agree with il. It is positively, absolutely, for certain, and with out doubt OK to put FSX on the same SSD as the OS. All that's been written about the potential advantages of doing otherwise no longer applies in the SSD world. The only problem you may have over time is space. Depending on the add-ons used you may eventually need to off-load some of the scenery to a second drive.

Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.0 Ghz, Asus Maxumus XII Hero MB, Noctua NH-U12A Cooler, Corsair Vengence Pro 32GB 3200Mhz, Geforce RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, and other good stuff.

Hi Shy,

Welcome to the forums.

Having both the OS and FSX on the same SSD will work fine and you should see no problems when running the sim. I have 2 rigs with FSX installed. The first has 2 SSDs (1 purely for the OS, AV, Office and other apps and the other purely for FSX). The second has a partitioned SSD (C:\ for the OS, AV, Office and other apps and D:\ for FSX). I have seen no effects of running FSX on either configuration but cannot really compare if one configuration is better than the other due to specs (the first is an i5-450 @2.4Ghz, 8Gb RAM and ATI HD 5650 2Gb - the second is an i7-4702MQ @2.2Ghz or 3.2Ghz w/turbo boost , 16Gb RAm and NVidia GeFroce GT-750M 4Gb.

A 256Gb drive is sufficient to store the OS and FSX and but you will need to give due consideration to how quickly the space may be eaten into once you start installing other software such as AV/Office etc and of course, FSX addons.

Also worth remembering that you wont actually get a full 256Gb of space because of the way the drive is formatted and other 'hidden' elements. For example, typically a 512Gb drive will only have around 450-460Gb of free space available.

The OS will use some of the 'hidden' space to create a 'restore' partition (can vary in size depending on the OS but normally will be between 10 and 20GB)a nd a System Reserved partition (normally very small and less that 200Mb).

There may also be a OEM partition (3-5GB - this is a copy of the OS that will be present if you brought the rig with the OS pre-installed - it is effectively your copy of the OS that you paid for. Normally there will be instructions included with the paperwork giving instructions on how to create 'rescue/recovery disk(s)' - this procedure actually provides you with a 'hard' copy of the OS. Creating the rescue disk(s) will often result in an option to 'delete' this partition which can then be used to 'expand' the main partition).

These areas, which are 'hidden' and not assigned drive letters, can be viewed using the OS's in-built Disk Management Tool.

Regards

Brian

Just be sure to install FSX into c:\FSX

That will avoid a plethora of "rights" problems.

My FSX on a main SSD hums just fine.

Cool beans.

+1! SSD is fine. But make sure you're not in program files. c:\FSX is the way to go.

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

Archived