FSX Crashes to Desktop after installing Windows 10 Upgrade!

TomG628

Hi,

I have had very few problems with my disk version of FSX installation for several years under Win 7 - 64bit. I finally took the bait and upgraded to Windows 10 which in itself seems to run fine. I have read that FSX also runs well in Win 10. Each time I have run FSX since the upgrade I have had a freeze up first, then instant desktop. Some lockups occurred right after startup or soon after, the last one froze up then CTD on approach to an airport. I also have ORBX Global, Vector, and Canada LC. It can't be a memory problem for I have 12 gig ram, and plenty of HD space. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Tom

Hi,

I have had very few problems with my disk version of FSX installation for several years under Win 7 - 64bit. I finally took the bait and upgraded to Windows 10 which in itself seems to run fine. I have read that FSX also runs well in Win 10. Each time I have run FSX since the upgrade I have had a freeze up first, then instant desktop. Some lockups occurred right after startup or soon after, the last one froze up then CTD on approach to an airport. I also have ORBX Global, Vector, and Canada LC. It can't be a memory problem for I have 12 gig ram, and plenty of HD space. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Tom

Next all the win10 lovers will be in here telling you how well it works for them which doesn't help you, or those that are having problems, one bit. My suggestion is go back to Win7. Really, I have yet to hear of any real advantage to win10 other than a few cosmetic things which are for the most part insignificant.

I have a HP laptop, I3 duel core @ 1.9ghz, 6gb ram and a 750gb hard drive. On board intel hd video graphica @1gb. I upgraded and FSX always stoped working for 5-10 mins at a time. I uninstalled all payware first them FSX itself and did a reinstall of FSX. Then the service packs 1 & 2 and all seems to work well. I flew from KSFO to YPPH using Level D B767-300 with a BFS in WSSS with no issues.

FSX runs just fine under Win 10. Search for it and read all the success stories.

1. Make sure all your drivers are updated and not the versions that were installed with Win 10.

2. Delete the Shaders folder contents.

3. Follow this and then you should be fine and you can be another happy Win 10 user that took the bait.

http://www.air-source.us/images/sigs/000219_195_jimskorna.png

Thanks for all the help, guys. It looks like a uninstall /reinstall will do the trick. Better yet, I think I'm going to go with the Steam Edition. I'm hearing good things about it.

Other than the graphics driver ( I have an Invidia driver dated October 2015) what other drivers would affect FSX"? Thanks again. Tom

FSX runs just fine under Win 10. Search for it and read all the success stories.

1. Make sure all your drivers are updated and not the versions that were installed with Win 10.

3. Follow this and then you should be fine and you can be another happy Win 10 user that took the bait.

Ok Jim, I'll admit I'm one of the diehard win7 fans. But I do credit you with at least offering some solid solutions for the win10 guys. I've always cringed when some just say "it works" but can't offer anything to those that can't get it to. At least you have contributed something solid here to help.

The Windows 10 upgrade completely trashed my FSX installation and I reverted back to Windows 7 with no problems. I did a new installation of FSX on a new computer with Windows 10 and it's working okay although I can no longer configure two monitors for full screen display. FSX does crash occasionally only under the Windows 10 installation which has only occurred so far during night flights.

Asus Prime Z490-P motherboard, Intel i7-10700K CPU, 32GB DDR4 3200 memory, GeForce RTX 2070-8GB video, 1TB M.2 SSD, Windows 10-64 bit, Acer 23"WS LCD and Benq 19" LCD, Logitech Flight Yoke, Thrustmaster Pedals, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro Joystick, TrackIR 5, MSFS Deluxe and FSX Deluxe, UTX-USA2, UTX-TAC, GEX-NA, ASN, WOAI

1. My multiple display problem may have been the newer video card and driver rather than Windows 10, but I just tried full screen again and it's working okay now.

2. Makes sense.

Thanks.

Asus Prime Z490-P motherboard, Intel i7-10700K CPU, 32GB DDR4 3200 memory, GeForce RTX 2070-8GB video, 1TB M.2 SSD, Windows 10-64 bit, Acer 23"WS LCD and Benq 19" LCD, Logitech Flight Yoke, Thrustmaster Pedals, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro Joystick, TrackIR 5, MSFS Deluxe and FSX Deluxe, UTX-USA2, UTX-TAC, GEX-NA, ASN, WOAI

• 4 weeks later...

Hmm. . .

I followed these instructions:

Now, when I open FSX, the screen is black. The mouse still identifies different features on the instrument panel, but I can't see them.

Worse, when I try to uninstall FSX, I get the following error message:

"Error opening installation log file. Verify that the specific log file location exists and is writable."

So, I can't fly FSX, and I can't reinstall FSX. 'Tis a quandary.

Until this, it was working fine. I couldn't get any freeware planes or scenery to work (the reason I tried the suggestions), and things are slightly different in Windows 10 than in Windows 7.

Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated.

By the way, I'm hell on computers. My wife won't let me near hers-I once crashed 4 desktops in succession, in about 10 minutes, simply by trying to log on, and the infotainment system on our rental car started acting up the day we picked it up.

Thanks for letting me whine-I'll look for some cheese now.

Harvey

• 2 weeks later...
Ok Jim, I'll admit I'm one of the diehard win7 fans. But I do credit you with at least offering some solid solutions for the win10 guys. I've always cringed when some just say "it works" but can't offer anything to those that can't get it to. At least you have contributed something solid here to help.

I've read next CPUs will require a Win10 installation, Cannonlake won't work with Win7. What are we gonna do then?

• 4 months later...
I tried all weekend to get the Win 10 upgrade to work. When I'd load FSX it would auto disable ASN and other add-ons on startup. When I'd Alt-Enter to start ASN again, the screen would go black and crash. Yes I updated all my drivers. It would flash my Saitek modules (yoke/peddles/panels) on/off without FSX in use. Spent around 16 hours on it last weekend. So I retro graded back to Win 7 and it runs like a charm. Guess I'll stick with 7 for the foreseeable future. Good luck to all and hope Win 10 works for you. Tom

I have been simming since the mid 90's. One thing I have learned is that if Flight Simulator is running well, don't change anything. Don't allow Windows or anything else to update or change. It will only get worse, not better. My system runs great and I do not allow ANYTHING to update.

Hi,

I so agree with silverheels2, I run both FS9 and FSX on W7 64bit and have "ALL" updates turned off and/or set to manual, and as long as both sims continue to run fine, then that's the way I leave it, as the saying goes, "sometimes less is more".

Interestingly, I have not updated my W7 installation for about two years and I can fly on either sim for hours without any problems, I don't have any ant-virus software installed, although it is connected to the internet in order to download real weather etc. Once I have finished flying for the day I run a deep "Malwarebytes" scan but have never encountered any form of Virus, Pup or Trojan.

I don't advocate that anyone runs a PC without Antivirus software or regular updates, its just works for me, and as it is a dedicated Flight-sim PC, then if it does die, then its a re-format and begin again, it does make you wonder if all these updates are actually needed :confused:

cheers everyone

i7-4770K 4.60 GHz (Hyperthreading off) Liquid Cooling 16GB G-Skill DDR3 GeForce GTX1050Ti 4GB 500GB WD Blue 3D SSD SATA III x4 Creative Sound Z Sound Card 5.1Ch 24BitAvermedia video capture card CH Yoke and Rudder NZXT Fan Controller Windows10 64 Prof FS9 - FSX -FSX-SE Track Hat

• 2 weeks later...

Why? Has anyone tested this with and without? I'm interested to find out more before I transition to Win10. Don

Because if you don't you may end up with a totally black screen, with the fix being to delete the Shaders folder contents.

Because it then allows FSX to build a new set of shaders based upon new software. It takes about a second to do.

http://www.air-source.us/images/sigs/000219_195_jimskorna.png

You transition to a new OS, you allow the shaders temp file to rebuild as the created interpretation of the raw Shader HLSL will be different, even slightly. How can you know which shaders need replacement unless you transition all of them..?

Same goes for major updates for the card drivers.

Same goes for any modifications to those shader files, or post-process mods. The sim reads NOT from the shaders hlsl folder, but from the temp folder in which the processed files are saved. Any substantive changes to any aspect of that processing and you should rebuild the temp shaders folder. It takes seconds (Ctrl+A, delete) and after the first boot (when it can take several seconds for things to load up) the sim will thank you for it.

If you want to know more of the `why's` and `wherefore's` the information is out there in internetland just waiting..

Sadly unless you have total control over a Win 10 installation it's not even an option. Your system IS going to update things like video card drivers, OS updates and driver updates whether you like it or not. So get ahead or go home is the new mantra.

Or install Win 7 and stick in the past. it's not like FSX will EVER benefit from a Win 10 installation.

Archived