Surprising

kiri

Hi. I spend a week or so adding all the tweeks into my FSX Steam. Changing, analizing the impacts on FPS, quality of image, etc, etc, etc. Finally I have ended leaving my FSX as it was born. And this was the better option. I have the FPS control fixed on 30 FPS. And Im having 29/30 almost all the time. The only problem I have is those image freezing (think you call it sttuters) now and then, when Im on land, in any dense airport. By the way...theese stutters are cause by a deficiency on the processor (Intel i5 - 4590) or on my Nvidia card. ( Geforce GTX 960) ??

I love to fly Real Air Turbin Duke.

Thanks, regards, kiri

Kiri,

To be honest, what you're experiencing is the limitations of the Software, combined with the demands a larger Airport places on FSX.

Best thing to do is keep the FPS @ 30, go out and fly! Have fun, try a backcourse Approach, or practice Short Field landings with your Duke. Don't get caught up in the race for more FPS; your eyes (and brain) work just fine @ 30 FPS.

Of course, I bet more will chime in with suggestions...

Alan :pilot:

"I created the Little Black Book to keep myself from getting killed..." -- Captain Elrey Borge Jeppesen

AMD 1.9GB/8GB RAM/AMD VISION 1GB GPU/500 GB HDD/WIN 7 PRO 64/FS9 CFS CFS2

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

You could try overclocking your CPU - though I have a feeling your chip won't overclock a lot

It's worth giving the usepools=0 a go (easy enough to change back if it doesn't help.

Perhaps turning down the AF and/or AA a bit in your videocard menu

Try tweaking with Nvidia Inspector.

Plenty to have a go at if you are up for it.

IAN

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

Hi. I spend a week or so adding all the tweeks into my FSX Steam. Changing, analizing the impacts on FPS, quality of image, etc, etc, etc. Finally I have ended leaving my FSX as it was born. And this was the better option. I have the FPS control fixed on 30 FPS. And Im having 29/30 almost all the time. The only problem I have is those image freezing (think you call it sttuters) now and then, when Im on land, in any dense airport. By the way...theese stutters are cause by a deficiency on the processor (Intel i5 - 4590) or on my Nvidia card. ( Geforce GTX 960) ??

I love to fly Real Air Turbin Duke.

Thanks, regards, kiri

Your i5 4590 is 3.3ghz. That's not a bad processor & many get by with less. However for a lot of add on scenery and fancy airplanes, You'd probably be happier with a faster clock.

FSX really lives and dies based on processor speed. With that clock speed you'll definitely have to learn the balance of sliders and results. And yes, the basic program is a good compromise as well

If you can maintain 30fps with the occasional stutter, you're in high cotton. Enjoy!

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

Make sure your processor is not overheating, same for your videocard.

Reduce background processes.

Reduce background processes that start auromatically with your computer and that you don't need. I don't mean uninstall. My printer software starts something in the background for example. Without that starting, printing works just as well, so I disabled it using CCleaner. Same for my CDwriter software and Imaging software.

Make sure you have no viruses.

If still issues,

Weather programs updating every 15 minutes will cause a brief freeze every 15 minutes,

Make sure you have no viruses, and spyware.

If still stutters,

Set the framerate slider lower. 20 for example.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

One of the flights I do alot is Trenton (KTTN) to Teterboro (KTEB). When I am at Trenton my FPS is a steady 30. As I fly and get closer to Teterboro my frame rates drop, by the time I land they are down to 15 to 20 depending on the plane I'm using. Heavy populated areas do have a big effect.

GPU: GeForce GTX 1080

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K CPU@4.2GHz

Memory: 16.00GB Ram

Resolution: 3840 x 2160, 30Hz Seiki 39†Monitor

Operating System: Windows 10 Home Edition

Thanks Ian: that "usepools=? should be found on the FSX CFG or should be writen and added?. If so, where? I mean, in what chapter of the CFG file?

Thanks, kiri

Add this to the FSX.cfg file:

[bUFFERPOOLS]

Poolsize=0

Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.0 Ghz, Asus Maxumus XII Hero MB, Noctua NH-U12A Cooler, Corsair Vengence Pro 32GB 3200Mhz, Geforce RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, and other good stuff.

Then go 'bone up' on PROCESSES (running in the background) by Google and maybe even YouTube (yeah, they got that). I have my processes down to 21.

The other 'nasty' program that causes stutters is your ANTI VIRUS (calling home, updateing definitions, etc). I use Webroot and it don't call home unless my PC is idle. Avast USED to be 'ok' but they went bloat-ware on us so I ditched it. And I use Comodo Ice-Dragon as my browser. I haven't used IE since 2001 because IT also 'calls home' and interupts your simming.

Also do a defrag once in a while. I record and delete a LOT of 1.2 Gb FRAPS avi video clips (100 Gb every week is 'normal' workload (hehe)) and have to defrag once a week.

Chuck B

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

Here is the 'MEAT' of my fsx.cfg. Maybe you can use some of this? Of course, but save your original fsx.cfg just in case.

// This file was tweaked on Sep 17, 2012 at 22:14 GMT using Bojote's automated FSX Tweaking & Tuning Service

// Your 'original' C:\Documents and Settings\CB\Application Data\Microsoft\FSX\fsx.cfg file was backed up at http://www.venetubo.com/fsx/df80966605af1418d5681ee0d234f021/backup/fsx_backup.cfg

// This file is optimized as follows: 8 core(s), CPU speed 3, HT 1, GPU 4, PREF 2

// You can visit Bojote's FSX Tweaking & Tuning service at http://www.venetubo.com/fsx.html

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

//[bufferPools] // I DON'T use this

//pools=0

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[DISPLAY.Device.ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series.0]

Mode=1280x1024x32

Anisotropic=1

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[GRAPHICS]

ALLOW_SHADER_30=1

ForceFullScreenVSync=1

ForceWindowedVSync=1

HIGHMEMFIX=1

TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=1024

SHADER_CACHE_PRIMED=1693500672

D3D10=0

STALE_BUFFER_THRESHOLD=2147483647

RejectThreshold=131072

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Main]

ProcSpeed=13755

PerfBucket=7

DisablePreload=1

FIBER_RATE_TIME_FRACTION=0.15

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Display]

ChangeTime=2.000000

TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=40

TextureMaxLoad= 30

TransitionTime=2.000000

UPPER_FRAMERATE_LIMIT=30

WideViewAspect=True

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[TERRAIN]

SWAP_WAIT_TIMEOUT=2

TEXTURE_RESOLUTION=24

WATER_EFFECTS=6

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[sCENERY]

MAX_ASYNC_BATCHING_JOBS=3

SmallPartRejectRadius= 2.0

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[JOBSCHEDULER]

AffinityMask=14

Chuck B

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

Archived