High Range Tachometer (4000 RPM Green Zone)

flyer8

I've been having fun enhancing the default C172SP and C182S. I'm using modified aircraft files (from Robert Hawk) along with Reality XP Flight Line N and T gauges. The Reality XP Airspeed indicator allows for vspeed adjustments, making it so I can compensate for these extremely high performance modifications.

However, I haven't found a suitable tach yet, one that has a green zone of up to 4000 rpm. The default aircraft tach out at around 2500 rpm and while the tach does display up to 3500 rpm (way past the red danger zone), I'm hoping to find an alternate and already pre-made high RPM tach.

Anyone seen a gauge that would fit the bill?

Something like this?...

Capture.JPG

Unfortunately this one is part of the VC so you cannot "borrow" it.

This is simply to show they do exist.

I suggest you look for one in a plane using a Rotax engine.

peace,

the Bean

WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.

They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Something like this?...

peace,

the Bean

Yup, that looks pretty nice and don't I wish! I'll have a bit of a hunt for the Rotax. Also, there's always the vernerable old Resource Hacker, but, my bitmap artistry is not up to snuff. It takes me hours to draw a green arc and I wouldn't want to upset the bitmap's owners. Got the cash and no where to spend it.

Boy I love flight simulator. It's actually a great break from creating object models.

Thanks for the info...

Did you search the various forums for add-on gauges, or a panel that includes a freeware add-on tach with the range you are looking for?

I "borrow" gauges for one panel to another all all the time.

And Mr. Bean, sir, I hate to be argumentative at all, and I do bow to your knowledge, but I believe that borrowing a gauge from a VC is possible. Especially if placing into a 2D panel, although as long as the size and position matches you can place them into a VC too. The trick, especially with .cab type files is to ensure the size and placement match the gauge to be replaced. It may take a little (ok a LOT!) of jiggling of the gauge size and placement parameters to get it to fit, but I have done it on a number of panels.

Of course, I am very frequently wrong...There may well be something I am missing here.

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

Some aircraft do have separate 2D and VC panel gauges - the VC gauges have the gauge face only, without the bezel (or frame, if you like) which is modelled into the VC itself. Some aircraft have 2D panels with the bezels "painted on" so that this is not an issue, unfortunately the default C172 isn't one of them. Bean's suggestion of a Rotax tacho is good one, especially if it's in a Microlight as they often have 2-stroke engines which rev like mad - google the Rolls-Royce Crecy engine - I bet the noise from that thing was a weapon in itself!

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

And Mr. Bean, sir, I hate to be argumentative at all, and I do bow to your knowledge, but I believe that borrowing a gauge from a VC is possible.

As I said, that gauge is part of the VC and completely 3D modeled.

There is no .cab to borrow from.

Or .gau or .DLL for that matter.

WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.

They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

As I said, that gauge is part of the VC and completely 3D modeled

I apologize, Mr. Bean, sir. I misunderstood what you meant. My fault entirely.

I was just speaking generally, of functional gauges utilized in a VC.

I apologize again...

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/forumdisplay.php?24-Panel-amp-Gauge-Design

You might describe what you are searching for on that forum.

In my opinion to place a gauge visually on a 2D panel consider this $25 panel editor. It avoids lots of trial and error. Get the download version as it is easier to upgrade than the CD version. Just backup the install files to CD/DVD.

FS Panel Studio works like a photo editor including object copy/place. You open the panel and the background bitmap shows with the included objects (gauges, switches, etc) that are selectable.

fs9_duke_panel_rev.zip has a tach gauge that reads to 4500 RPM. You'll need to edit the bitmap to your specs. If you search the fs9 panel lib here under tachometer you'll find a rectangular 4 digit digital tach.

http://www.flight1.com/products.asp?product=FSP-ESD-001

http://www.fspanelstudio.com/ developer's site also leads to a forum. Look at the on-line help guide (it is also in .pdf format) and click on the Main Window. It shows a selected gauge surrounded in a yellow rectangle. Like an objective photo program the selection can be copied, pasted, resized, and deleted, plus dragged into position. If you have a photo bitmap editor that accepts the type of bitmap you can open it within the application for bitmap editing. If the gauge is xml coded you can open it for code editing (assuming you know the language).

Back in FS8 it was the second utility I purchased for copying gauges from freeware aircraft to update a panel for another one that used a default. It avoids reloading an aircraft to see your modifications. I continued using it in FS9. I looked at real world panel imagery from cockpit photos on airliners.net as a guide.

Gauge developer ISG ( http://isgsim.com/?page=features ) and click on the library panel retrofits you'll see a library of panel.cfg files. If you look at the first lines in most you'll see a credit for FS Panel Studio.

So if you find a panel/gauge from panel/gauge downloads here this would be a very efficient visual way to place it.

KMSP - Minnesota: Land of 10,000 Puddles

Support Team

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/forumdisplay.php?24-Panel-amp-Gauge-Design

fs9_duke_panel_rev.zip has a tach gauge that reads to 4500 RPM. You'll need to edit the bitmap to your specs. If you search the fs9 panel lib here under tachometer you'll find a rectangular 4 digit digital tach.

Thanks for the info Ron. I'm looking at the gauges which the duke is using and am going to install the aircraft as well. It's a lovely model. Also and like so many other simmers, I've been using panel studio for many years. I hope they come up with a new version though, I've been running into some issues using it with some of the latest proprietary gauges. But for the standard stuff, it really does make modifying panels "relatively" painless.

Thanks again!

Did you search the various forums for add-on gauges, or a panel that includes a freeware add-on tach with the range you are looking for?

And Mr. Bean, sir, I hate to be argumentative at all, and I do bow to your knowledge, but I believe that borrowing a gauge from a VC is possible. Especially if placing into a 2D panel, although as long as the size and position matches you can place them into a VC too. The trick, especially with .cab type files is to ensure the size and placement match the gauge to be replaced. It may take a little (ok a LOT!) of jiggling of the gauge size and placement parameters to get it to fit, but I have done it on a number of panels.

Of course, I am very frequently wrong...There may well be something I am missing here.

Pat☺

That's a great flying kitty! Yeah, I'm hunting and have been searching hi and low. At the same time, I'm attempting to coax my wife into modifying some bitmaps for me. I wonder if that'll fly...dinner and a movie is more expensive than a new gauge anyway. Still looking but thanks for the help!

Something like this?...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]186164[/ATTACH]

peace,

the Bean

Please extract that gauge and send every one a copy. As I have been on the hunt, by far, that is the best looking tach I've seen to date! Beauty...nice workmanship.

Apparently, according to Mr. Bean, that one he showed is integral to the panel. If it had a .cab, .gau, or even a .dll file associated with it, "borrowing" it would be very possible.Without all that, it stays where it's at.

I wil search and see what I can find. There are a few EICAS add-ons that I may be able to utilize. I'll let you know if I find anything.

Quick question, though: what parameters were you looking for? I realize you want the green to include 4000. Do you have a max/min range for the green band? A max/min for the total range (besides 0 for the "engine off") ?

I just want to be certain I look for what you want...

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Copyright issues????

Dijvid

Ah, going easy here as that is simply me wishing. Don't want to step on anyone's bitmapped toes as I wouldn't want that to happen to any of the object models I create. So as I knew the gauge will not appear anytime soon, just thought I'd wish out load.

Hope that helps!

Apparently, according to Mr. Bean, that one he showed is integral to the panel. If it had a .cab, .gau, or even a .dll file associated with it, "borrowing" it would be very possible.Without all that, it stays where it's at.

I wil search and see what I can find. There are a few EICAS add-ons that I may be able to utilize. I'll let you know if I find anything.

Quick question, though: what parameters were you looking for? I realize you want the green to include 4000. Do you have a max/min range for the green band? A max/min for the total range (besides 0 for the "engine off") ?

I just want to be certain I look for what you want...

Pat☺

Yup, I figured that the gauge was never going to appear, and was just having a bit of fun with that request. Trying to make people smile a bit. With regards to the tach, the modified dynamics are looking at a cruising rpm of around 3500 with a maximum of (and this is a guess) 5500. Green band from 2000 to 4500. The engine sputters at 2000 rpm but will stay aloft.

To land the modified default C182S, I've been dropping the manifold pressure to 15 inches and feathering down to 1900 rpm. That's about 4 degrees nose down with the engine being so very idle. But the Teledyne modifications by Robert Hawk make the C182 a rocket and even the slightest nudge on the throttle is enough to kick up some dust.

Flew out of McCarran last night KLAS->KLAX and while tuning radios, the engine stalled on the ramp. Thats at 2200 ft asl. But I was able to fly directly out of 19R, and in nearly a straight line, home to KLAX. Climbed out at 1500 fpm, made 7000 ft before having to reduce to 700 fpm and then a gradual series of reductions to level flight from there.

The mountains around Vegas are quite challenging and over the years, have seen so many autos never make it up some of the grades. Tow truck drivers paradise...Is that where the real money is in Vegas?

Anyway, I do appreciate the interest and thanks for the help!

Edit: V-Speeds....

VSpeed_Gauges.jpg

Archived