FSX Steam Edition Crashing on Laptop

PP4life

System Details:

Lenovo ThinkPad W510

Win 7 Professional, SP1, 64bit

Processor: i7 Q 820@1.73Ghz

RAM: 4GB

Video Card: NVIDIA Quadro FX 880M with driver version 341.92 (just downloaded and installed today, I was on 340.66 before)

FSX Steam Edition. Just downloaded and installed, no addons. Turn it on and start flying.

The crash happens when clicking around in the right-click menus. It's about the 15th-20th click and it crashes.

I've tried:

• Turning the sliders all the way down.
  • Deleting the FSX.cfg file and letting it create a new one.
  • Since it was doing the menu crash thing I tried putting different versions of uiautomationcore.dll in the "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX" folder. That didn't work so I deleted uiautomationcore.dll and did a "verify game cache" from Steam and it put the original uiautomationcore.dll file back in the FSX folder.
  • I then uninstalled FSX and anything related to it and the entire Steam platform. I reinstalled all those.

After all this I'm still getting the same crash. I've only played FSX a few times on this system and it has never allowed me to make unlimited right-menu mouse clicks without getting the crash. I've updated Windows and the only remaining update that will not install is a driver for the video card with error 80070103. It says "If you receive Windows Update error 80070103 while installing updates, you might be trying to install a driver that is already installed on your computer or a driver that might be less compatible than one you already have installed". I assume the Windows update driver is older than the Nvidia one I just installed today. That's probably why I get the error.

I'm stumped after searching through all the marvelous help on this forum. Below are the Event Viewer details I've been getting.

Event Viewer Details (this is the latest one, but I also have had uiautomationcore.dll errors as listed below)

Faulting application name: fsx.exe, version: 10.0.62615.0, time stamp: 0x559f9a9a

Faulting module name: unknown, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x0202010b

Faulting process id: 0x17f0

Faulting application start time: 0x01d1388fd98b2471

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX\fsx.exe

Faulting module path: unknown

Report Id: 18719554-a484-11e5-b42a-f0def14e0ddd

Other event viewer report involving uiautomationcore.dll

Faulting application name: fsx.exe, version: 10.0.62615.0, time stamp: 0x559f9a9a

Faulting module name: uiautomationcore.dll, version: 6.0.6001.18000, time stamp: 0x4791a76f

Fault offset: 0x0001dd8f

Faulting process id: 0x448

Faulting application start time: 0x01d1387c718ff609

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX\fsx.exe

Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX\uiautomationcore.dll

Report Id: 705a9ce6-a470-11e5-aa34-f0def14e0ddd

Thanks everyone!

And why are you needing to right click so much for anyhow? I understand it should still work but I don't recall having to right click anything for normal flight, but we all do things differently I guess. If whatever you are trying to do with the right clicks could be done a different way, change it, call it a good day and go fly. I'm not convinced this is being caused by FSX at all rather than something deeper in your laptop/mouse and making FSX look like the culprit. Try switching the left and right click buttons around just for the heck of it.

There is always the option to not be so clicky. I think I might be more clicky because I'm still exploring the simulator and figuring out which views work best for me. I also don't know what all the keyboard shortcuts are. But yes, if I don't touch the menus, all is fine and I can fly an airplane.

There is always the option to not be so clicky. I think I might be more clicky because I'm still exploring the simulator and figuring out which views work best for me. I also don't know what all the keyboard shortcuts are. But yes, if I don't touch the menus, all is fine and I can fly an airplane.

View changes are mostly the S and the A keys. That should save on the mouse clicks.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

I think that was one of the original versions I tried and I've been told all the uiautomationcore.dll stuff was fixed in the Steam version. But I'll try it again, it's an easy thing to try.

It has been said by many others, over and over and over again...the proper uiautoationcore.dll was fixed (added) in the Steam version and if you have FSX SE leave this file alone!!!

It also looks like you have FSX SE installed in the default Program Files location. It has also long been recommended to be installed in it's own folder for a lot of reasons.

No, I can't guarantee these things are your exact problems but I'm just pointing out what many others have been saying.

It has been said by many others, over and over and over again...the proper uiautoationcore.dll was fixed (added) in the Steam version and if you have FSX SE leave this file alone!!!

Its entirely possible the OP has a defective or corrupted dll which is causing the problem. In these situations its best to backup the original and test a replacement file to verify file integrity. Especially as his error report specifically states uiautomationcore.dll as the problem.

Also Steam may fail to replace the dll if it doesn't think its a problem, even though it could very well be the root cause. Such things have happened in the past with Steam before, its not a new thing. And not everything Steam has is always the right data. Anyone remember Skyrim's "backwards dragons" fiasco on Steam?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I doubt it is a bad .DLL, probably the wrong version.

AFAIK the only "fix" in the Steam version is the inclusion of the uiautomationcore.DLL in the root FSX folder.

The version included, 6.0.6001.18000, is one of two Vista versions that have been used. Some people need one version, some need the other.

There are posts here with links to the other version.

peace,

the Bean

WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.

They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

I think I might be destined to not be able to click menus :(

I tried replacing the UIAutomationCore.dll in the FSX directory (which is 6.0.6001.1800) with version 6.0.5840.16386. It still crashed, but at least the Event Viewer tells me the UIAutomationCore.dll is the problem.

Faulting module name: uiautomationcore.dll, version: 6.0.5840.16386, time stamp: 0x45398e5f

Fault offset: 0x0001dd8a

Faulting process id: 0x5e4

Faulting application start time: 0x01d139398030b708

Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX\uiautomationcore.dll

Report Id: a263c9ba-a52d-11e5-8ad4-f0def14e0ddd

I then uninstalled FSX, created a new partition on my harddrive and redownloaded and reinstalled FSX Steam Edition to it. It still crashes, but this is unknown faulting in the Event Viewer.

Faulting module name: unknown, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000

Fault offset: 0x00000000

Faulting process id: 0xb00

Faulting application start time: 0x01d1395095f6fa61

Faulting application path: F:\Flight\steamapps\common\FSX\fsx.exe

Faulting module path: unknown

Report Id: 2f110db7-a545-11e5-b4cc-f0def14e0ddd

Archived