A Word of Warning

andyjohnston

If you are flying a heavy, like for example a 747, into an airport where you have to make a visual landing, and there is zero visibility until just a few hundred feet above the ground, and there happens to be a 99 knot wind: you will crash.

Based on my experience today.

Spent way too much time using these sims...

FS 5.1, FS-98, FS-2000, FS-2002, FS-2004, FSX, Flight, FSW, P3Dv3, P3Dv4, MSFS

If you are flying a heavy, like for example a 747, into an airport where you have to make a visual landing, and there is zero visibility until just a few hundred feet above the ground, and there happens to be a 99 knot wind: you will crash.

Based on my experience today.

WELL DUH!!! The closer to RW sims get, the more people have to use their brains at least occasionally! Isn't that a good thing?

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

If you land at 255kts you will be fine.

What the heck is it? A Mirage with a high tailwind?? I see a 747 landing that fast, I'm breaking out the phone to video the crash...

255kts is a smokin fast landing speed. Of course, the real question is Is that airspeed or ground speed? If you have a 99kt headwind, then your GS is a real and manageable 156kts. If it's a trailing crosswind, say 130° relative, you'll be all over the place.

I mean, seriously, planes DO have limitations, after all...

Really. They do... :D

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

Archived