PMDG 747 ILS won't align with the runway

Yajvan

Hello,

I am using PMDG 747-8. I was landing in KSFO RWY 28R. Its frequency/CRS is 111.70/283 and ILS id is IGWO. To make sure its not wind, I selected clear weather(all clear skies). Ok so it correctly picked up the ILS id. I clicked "APP". It started to descend as usual. All the ILS procedures were correct, except the plane did not line up with the runway. It was an IFR flight from KPAE to KSFO with default ATC.

Yajvan,

I just shot four approaches to KSFO 280R with the 747. Two approaches were with calm winds. The other two were with 10 knts. winds from 180.* In all four approaches the ILS APR nailed it. Slightly, barely, to the right of the center line with the 180* winds but certainly well and safely on the runway.

However I will note often the problem with an ILS APR has to do with an incorrect position and alignment of the aircraft when you push the APR button. You need to be almost exactly on the correct approach, by that I mean centered between the ILS flags and flying the exact or nearly exact heading as the ILS setting. Otherwise, especially with a larger slower reacting plane like a 747 the APR will "get behind" with it's adjustments. Then you end up sliding on and off the centerline on both sides. WHEN DOING A LANDING WITH A 747 ILS YOU NEED TO HAVE THE RED PLUS SYMBOL PRETTY MUCH DEAD CENTERED WHEN YOU PUSH APR. And finally, ILS is not the same as auto land. It's still up to the pilot to get the touchdown correct.

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

The PMDG 747 is very different from the default aircraft.

Many more funnctions and settings.

For an ILS landing a lot more is required.

From setting the IRS before takeoff, making sure fuel is within limits, using the correct flap settings for landing, using the many different autopilot modes, etc etc. A lot more is involved.

With the PMDG you got yourself a very very realistic aircraft. It is very close to a real aircraft. And just like a real Boeing 747 it is not something you learn to fly in a few minutes either.

As you will know a 100+ page manual is included with the PMDG aircraft. You will need to read that and understand it to fly. There is not really a way around that.

Asking in forums everytime a problem comes up is not really an option. You would be asking questions every day.

Better to just read the manual.

Is there any way around this realism? no, not really. You bought a very realistic aircraft. That according to everyone is a joy to fly.

If you want a less realistic and easyer aircraft to fly you will have to pick a different aircraft from your hangar when going for the next flight. The default 747 or 737 for example.

But I suggest you also spend a lot of time with that PMDG manual. It will take a little time, but I think you will find it very rewarding.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

From setting the IRS before takeoff, making sure fuel is within limits, using the correct flap settings for landing, using the many different autopilot modes, etc etc. A lot more is involved.

With the PMDG you got yourself a very very realistic aircraft. It is very close to a real aircraft. And just like a real Boeing 747 it is not something you learn to fly in a few minutes either.

As you will know a 100+ page manual is included with the PMDG aircraft. You will need to read that and understand it to fly. There is not really a way around that.

Asking in forums everytime a problem comes up is not really an option. You would be asking questions every day.

Is there any way around this realism? no, not really. You bought a very realistic aircraft. That according to everyone is a joy to fly.

If you want a less realistic and easyer aircraft to fly you will have to pick a different aircraft from your hangar when going for the next flight. The default 747 or 737 for example.

But I suggest you also spend a lot of time with that PMDG manual. It will take a little time, but I think you will find it very rewarding.

+1!!!

In RW flying there is often a lot more time spent at the ops desk than in the air. Plans, backup plans, and emergency plans should be part of every flight long before you start the engine/s.

Remember: All takeoffs are optional. However once you've taken off, landings are mandatory!

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

+1!!!

In RW flying there is often a lot more time spent at the ops desk than in the air. Plans, backup plans, and emergency plans should be part of every flight long before you start the engine/s.

Remember: All takeoffs are optional. However once you've taken off, landings are mandatory!

Also you should always plan for the unsuccessful landing. I.e. Go around, missed approach. If you do get to land, you just did better.

+1. Over the years I've been lucky enough to accumulate over 100 hours in a 747 Level-D simulator. And I've been using the 747 from PMDG since Day-1. Having flown an ILS approach on SFO 28R more times than I can count in both the Level-D 747 and with the PMDG 747 I can guarantee that the PMDG is spot on. What ever the problem, it's definitely user error. Try this, shoot the 28R ILS in the default Cessna - many times. Once you can get that correct then you'll know how it's supposed to work and feel. Now try the 747 and you have a basis to figure out what the problem may be.

Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.0 Ghz, Asus Maxumus XII Hero MB, Noctua NH-U12A Cooler, Corsair Vengence Pro 32GB 3200Mhz, Geforce RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, and other good stuff.

You get the actual Boeing manuals in PDF format. So a good bit to absorb.

I've been flying the NGX since it came out, and I'm still learning stuff about the

systems, etc four years later.. It's close enough as far as the systems that it is

about the same as learning the real world version.

The new 747 that is due to come out should be really good. But I'll still likely prefer

the 737 most of the time.

I had it always offsetted with pmdg 747 in FSX no matter where I landed. Solution 1 was to abandon the software because it is antique. Solution 2 was to get the SP1 for the iFly 747 which was released few weeks ago. Now iFly 747 is up to date modern add on.

ps. MD-11 is too having this problem, however it is still a good software (systems/visuals) I like and use time to time, just had no time to address it to PMDG. Will ask them one of these days.

I don't know if this is helpful but I was having all kinds of problems with ILS approaches with the Qualitywings 757 and it turned out that I had my default flight saved in GPS mode instead of Nav mode. After I saved the default flight to Nav mode, no more problems.

Archived