Fsx steam

beana5

Had Steam from day One..The GREATEST !..Ported over years of DISK FSX.. Was on cloud nine!..I did Purchase a plane ,No problem//I then Purchased their MANHATTAN X..The usual Steam way under extreme secrecy,pass words special codes.PARANOIA!....They Installed it...and in one minute they wiped clean my installed FSX Steam..Left me with the Purchased DL..that's it!..no scenery,Planes ,Controls..NOTHING..NADA...So I started my inquiry's with Steam,Making a long PAINFUL FRUSTRATING story Short...It was An Experience in a Cyber Space Insane Asylum...a Labyrinth of Dead Ends,pass words changing,Menes with not a clue, of what I was seeking.a VIRTUAL MINEFIELD!.. On Face book Finally got what I believed to be a Real Person..But Soon the Robotic Talk was there....I then deleted the whole thing STEAM FSX gone......Luckily I Had FSX DISK installed..a Mirror of The Loaded Steam FSX...So I still fly FSX,Did not lose my Sim Treasures....A horrible Experience..Sign of the Cyber age...The bad news Is I Lost what I Had And Liked,The good News Is I still have What what I like....moral here is TRUST NO ONE!.. CAVEAT EMPTOR ,BACK UP BACK UP.,BACK UP.my PASSPORT my most invaluable tool...Saved the day....We come a Long Way Baby since my First Sim in 1982

I wish I had not sold my boxed fsx gold but I agree with rupert, I had to go back to win seven and boxed acceleration. the flight sim 2016 sounds interesting, i am wondering if slewing will still be there, no slew is why I dont like xplane, or at least one of the reasons. I think all of the real advances will come in p3d, I like the way p3d does downloadable more then the way steam does. I have never needed dovetail tech support but p3d is really good in that area

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

.::Gateway::. i5, 8GB Memory, 2gb Nvidia Video Card, Win7, FS9, FSX, P3D

Android User. Sometimes Ubuntu User.

Unfortunately, yours is just one of many such stories (I have one also). I wouldn't recommend Steam to anyone who heavily, or even moderately, customizes their FSX installation. It just makes no sense to give control to a third party...too many bad things can happen.

Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.0 Ghz, Asus Maxumus XII Hero MB, Noctua NH-U12A Cooler, Corsair Vengence Pro 32GB 3200Mhz, Geforce RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, and other good stuff.

While I for one do not like Steam's terms of service or some of its methods, this sounds far more like a hardware fault between the keyboard and the seat.

Since I have FSX SE and a crap-tonne of mods and add-ons all working great with little problem, I am going to have to say most the of the horror stories are due to the above error generator.

Oh and im on Win10 also. THe only issue I have had is that FSX can crash in window mode if you try using an enhanced start menu. But that's patchable. Or just play in fullscreen and its not an issue at all.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I do not want to make enemy's hence why lve not said any thing but ive had nothing but problems with any game ive played on steam, even half life. Oh and dont ever lose ur password lol....I bet adding add ons is a nightmare for fsx on steam I do not even want to attempt it lmfaoooooooooooo

All this, and yet, I've had FSX-SE since it was released, and not had a lick of trouble in any way. I've got a ton of add-on's , planes, scenery, gauges, water textures, a new autogen, you name I have it. I spend 4-5hours or so a day on it, flying the FSDT FSX BA F/A-18, in a mess of incarnations. Carrier landings, listening to vLSO AI nag me about my abilities. Helicopters, default birds, you name it. Posted many screenies.

Never a bit of trouble no OOM's, no mysterious CTD's, NADA. OH! I take that back. I made a bad entry in the logbook and corrupted it, ONCE. Fixed it with a logbook fixer, no trouble since.

So, for all the problems people mention above, there is one person so far that likes it, believe it or not. Well, maybe it's because I have no payware, everything I've add-on has been freeware. And I don't permit autoinstallers. I redirect them to a temp folder. Maybe I've just been overly lucky, maybe it's something else. No idea.

just my 2 pennies into the pot...

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

I've seen this on lots of threads where someone is having problems with a particular piece of software and the following posts get mixed reviews, some agree like above and they too have or are getting problems and others say the opposite and have had none.

Not all setups are the same as you all know, some put files elsewhere some let the installer go to the default, some do this some do that.

I know this isn't helping the OP I'm just adding another comment.

The problem, as indicated by this thread, is that not everyone has had the same experience. I doubt that the percentage of us who've had real problems with Steam is very high but it's still significant. For everyone who's had a problem there are many more who have no problem at all. I guess it just depends on how willing you are to gamble. And I know too many experienced simmers with "Steam problems" to believe that it's just an issue "between the keyboard and the seat".

Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.0 Ghz, Asus Maxumus XII Hero MB, Noctua NH-U12A Cooler, Corsair Vengence Pro 32GB 3200Mhz, Geforce RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, and other good stuff.

All this, and yet, I've had FSX-SE since it was released, and not had a lick of trouble in any way. I've got a ton of add-on's , planes, scenery, gauges, water textures, a new autogen, you name I have it. I spend 4-5hours or so a day on it, flying the FSDT FSX BA F/A-18, in a mess of incarnations. Carrier landings, listening to vLSO AI nag me about my abilities. Helicopters, default birds, you name it. Posted many screenies.

Never a bit of trouble no OOM's, no mysterious CTD's, NADA. OH! I take that back. I made a bad entry in the logbook and corrupted it, ONCE. Fixed it with a logbook fixer, no trouble since.

So, for all the problems people mention above, there is one person so far that likes it, believe it or not. Well, maybe it's because I have no payware, everything I've add-on has been freeware. And I don't permit autoinstallers. I redirect them to a temp folder. Maybe I've just been overly lucky, maybe it's something else. No idea.

just my 2 pennies into the pot...

Pat☺

Cool I was going by what i had read and my experience with other games, I will probably try it now. as you say its all in the operator ;) thanks for the info sarge

Cool I was going by what i had read and my experience with other games, I will probably try it now. as you say its all in the operator thanks for the info sarge

My pleasure! Glad to help :D

But with temper, I'm probably better off where I am.

BTW: What is your OS?

Sound as bad as I am Rupert! After all, I have no patience. That's why I dropped out of med school!

MAHAHAHAHA!!!!

:D :D

By the bye, I use Vista Home Premium, if that helps.

The main reason I got FSX-SE was I was thinking about FSX, and it was only $5.00. I'm a cheap SOB, too. Errrr....ummm...That's FRUGAL, extremely, super, totally "frugal". Yeah, that's it...that's the ticket :D

Great days and fun flying to all, whatever sim/OS y'all choose to use!

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

You have to be wary of things coming across as sarcasm when I write online but bing totally sincere I thank you as a senior member for your reply, I have to admit I got sucked in by the $5 sale also. I do not really regret it as it will still be available to me later should I find reason to ditch the boxed edition.

One downside to boxed edition is that I have activated it so many times I now have to go through phone activation that takes forever. I guess I should be happy microsoft has kept that up. I think at this point they should just give away fsx and xp as legacy products. Kind of like Iris simulations does, at bare minimum give away fs9 as a legacy product.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

.::Gateway::. i5, 8GB Memory, 2gb Nvidia Video Card, Win7, FS9, FSX, P3D

Android User. Sometimes Ubuntu User.

You have to be wary of things coming across as sarcasm when I write online but bing totally sincere I thank you as a senior member for your reply, I have to admit I got sucked in by the $5 sale also. I do not really regret it as it will still be available to me later should I find reason to ditch the boxed edition.

One downside to boxed edition is that I have activated it so many times I now have to go through phone activation that takes forever. I guess I should be happy microsoft has kept that up. I think at this point they should just give away fsx and xp as legacy products. Kind of like Iris simulations does, at bare minimum give away fs9 as a legacy product.

I agree! What's the deal of restricting use of something you quit selling years ago?

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

Really the SE version is not the horror story its made out to be by some. It's been pretty good for me, albiet with some hinkyness here and there but thats due to me messing around with it.

Currently my add-on list for FSX SE is as follows;

REX Essentials Sp3

OrbX FTX Scotland

OrbX FTX Global Base

OrbX FTX OpenLC EU

OrbX Freeware packages (all of them)

FreemeshX Europe & North America (still downloading the other bits of it)

Well over 200+ Freeware Aircraft and reskins (Posky / TDS etc)

Autogen Enhancements

85 real world AI Airlines from the EU & NA (and still more to add)

Custom made airport scenery for Monaco (helipad)

And more that I cant remember off the top of my head. Suffice it to say my FSX folder is HUGE now. And I play the game on two 22" displays @ 60 FPS with almost maxed out settings.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Archived