REX essential or Rex overdrive

So yeah? I'm unsure of which one to purchase. What does overdrive have? Just wanted to get some opinions before I buy

AFAIK this is not an "or". The 'Overdrive' is a texture package, an addon if you will, to 'Essential' (which is the weather engine and some basic texture sets).

What you buy is always Rex Essential, but there are different packages of it. Top of the line is "Rex Essential Plus with the Overdrive package included".

Neither.

Rex have already released Weather Architect a weather creation and sharing utility and will shortly release Weather Direct - a replacement for the `live`weather engine. This, together with Rex 4 Texture Direct and Soft Clouds would seem to be the ideal solution, especially as it's more up to date than the relatively `old` Essential + Overdrive package.

A major advantage of Rex TD is that it creates and loads the textures to the sim in seconds, not minutes. But it does not include a weather engine.

So what you should be looking at is Rex 4 TD, with WD to follow. And perhaps a freeware weather generator for now.

Thanks for the replies guys. I think I will just get Rex and use a freeware weather engine because I have read some pretty ordinary reviews on the weather engine in rex

AMD Ryzen 3800X 3.9 GHz

GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Windforce 11GB

32GB 3200MHz RAM

1TB Crucial SSD

Rex4 Textures with ActiveSkyNext is pretty good.

I agree the ASN currently has the weather engine honours, but Weather Direct could trounce it, so I think it's worth holding off until a direct comparison (oh, the punnage!) can be made.

Archived