FSX System Requirement Help

Hi Everyone. I have been looking to buy a new laptop to play fsx on, as my old one has a horrible processor, and is getting old and laggy. I found a laptop that would work for me, and it also seems to clear the minimum and recommended system requirements. I would just like someone with a similar computer that it works.

Computer specs:

Powered by an Intel Core i7-4510U processor (2.0GHZ speed, I know, a little slow)

8GB RAM

1TB HDD Integrated Intel HD Graphics 4400

I know it might not run unlimited frames, with max graphics settings, but even if it could run at a steady 20+ fps, with decent graphics, I would be satisfied. It also needs to be able to support PMDG 737, and a few other add-ons (ASN, FlyTampa)

Hopefully someone can help me out, as I know fsx is a weird game in terms of Proccersor and graphics balance.

Thanks!

With FSX, Speed of the CPU is the eye of the needle, the cat's meow, the horse's patootie!

I think I'm getting at the fact you will be sorely disappointed with that new laptop. Look at my desktop specs in my signature. I speak from experience! I cannot run any payware aircraft or scenery. I do use ORBX PNW (freeware) which is nice but slows things down a little. Look for CPU speeds in the 3.5 GHZ range.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

You really need to look for something with more CPU speed, trying to run any add-on let alone something like the PMDG 737 is going to make it unplayable I would imagine. At 2Ghz I think running vanilla FSX is going to be tough but adding add-ons is maybe pushing your luck. Of course there are exceptions like Mr Zippy, but he's not attempting to run the add-ons you are wanting to run.
AMD 9590 5Ghz, Asus 990X Sabertooth, Asus 285 Strix, 8Gb Ram x2 RipJaws, Corsair Hydro H100, Corsair CM750M, 2TB Short Stroked HDD, Samsung 120Gb SSD for OS, x3 ViewSonic VX2370 LED Frameless Monitors. x1 Semi Understanding Partner.

In all honesty unless you are willing to pay a pretty penny a laptop won't cut it. FSX is quite an old game so it's relies on you CPU the most. I have an AMD A6 6400K @3.9 ghz and I run the Aerosoft Airbus with medium settings within FSX and default scenery at about 12-15 FPS. Unless you just have to have a laptop I would suggest getting a desktop. I built my computer about a year ago for about $500 so I'm sure thats all ready cheaper that the laptop you were planing to buy.
Mathew Thomason

Ok, I will take that suggestion!! Thank you!

This entire laptop story is a myth. FSX runs on my laptop just fine. Just turn down the setting to around the middle. But, it won't run like run and look like a 3D movie. Too many posters here simply can't handle it, simply repeating what others have posted to look like hero third party buyers, not FSK users. Over the last years this site is a fancy add on store. Don't listen to the fake experts who just want fancy pictures. It's a little sad for those FSX owners with out unlimited funds.

This entire laptop story is a myth. FSX runs on my laptop just fine. Just turn down the setting to around the middle. But, it won't run like run and look like a 3D movie. Too many posters here simply can't handle it, simply repeating what others have posted to look like hero third party buyers, not FSK users. Over the last years this site is a fancy add on store. Don't listen to the fake experts who just want fancy pictures. It's a little sad for those FSX owners with out unlimited funds.

Uh, sorry, but isn't this actually the other way round? Ever so often there is a post like this, where someone asks "will this system run that addon", and I admit I'm guilty of instantly thinking "OK, so this guy has watched some utube videos". You are right, a basic Laptop will run vanilla FSX at low to medium settings. But it is always "want want want", and once you throw the fancy addons in there or want visuals like in the videos, the Laptop just won't cut it. And I think you can relate to the fact, that the "PMDG 737 with decent graphics" will probably kill a 2.0 GHz machine pretty dead.

But you are right in saying that "the experts" should first check out what the actual requirement of the poster is. If he is made aware, that he will never be able to run advanced settings or addons on his laptop, isn't this a useful information? Better be safe than sorry.

Most of the experienced simmers have been at this point once - having a system that cannot keep up what I want it to do. And the recommendations are not because someone gets a kick out of it. Most are just posts about the own system, what its performance data are and what you can do with it - and what you can't.

As someone very wise once said: "I don't have enough money to buy cheap things".

Emachines T3418 AMD 3400+ processor 2GHZ/256KB L2 Cashe 2Gig Ram 160Gig HDD NVidia GEForce 6100 GPU Running WinXP Home Can't believe it still works! Running FSX Standard with SP1 and SP2

I can't believe it either! You found the definition of bare-bone requirements. Something must be killing your piggy banks. :D

Cheers,

Guest SkyScorpion

Id like to correct everyone here and say that CPU is more than capable of handling payware aircraft so long as graphics are turned down as to not bog down the Intel HD Series.

Im currently running on my Core 2 Quad Q8300 2.5GHZ with 4GB of 667MHZ PNY Optima DDR2 RAM @ 20-30FPS with all sliders (except LOD which is medium) right except for Air AI which is completely disabled. and that I7 beats the s*** out of my Core 2 Quad (literally the worst single threaded performance of any quad core line). and my install is currently 70GB and its all from planes, not a drop of scenary data. ive got mulitple aircraft from including but exclusively: MilViz, Carenado, Virtuavia, Nemeth Designs, AlphaSim, A2A, Aerosoft, IRIS and many others. The visual models as long as everything is kept on low shouldnt bog it down as i can tell you from experience what makes intel HD chips bog down are Shaders and 2k or higher texture OR semi hi res textures in abundance, they handle polygons acceptably for this task. Hell i used to have a GEFORCE 6150LE IGP and a single core AMD Athlon 64 in my old computer years ago and i got FSX running smooth with the IRIS F4 Phantom FG1.

Being a laptop though i would recommend you hook up a 5 dollar CRT from the thrift shop to use a screen for a tempeture monitor.

but if you dont plan on going to the length of configuring the FSX.CFG file by hand then uh you might want to find a new simulator. literally without hand configuring it i get 1/3rd my current performance.

Heres the Guide i Used:

http://www.simforums.com/forums/fsx-tweaks-demystified_topic37948.html

Uh let someone else here tell you how to calculate the memory clock for a IGP xD

Archived